So now that we heard the first clips... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:09 PM
So now that we heard the first clips...

a) do you think the album will sound more like Thank you and 400 song, or more guitars like 402 and 404? Hoping for the latter, myself. 402 sounds like the sound Mercy was hinting at.

b) any guesses on producer/who they're working with in these early sessions? We heard "a trusted pair of producers" was picking out the best leftovers from Bomb, and there were rumours on Rick Rubin. My guess, given Thank you work, is they're with Lanois.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not sure what the album will sound like, but I like the piano they are using, I would love to see it make it into the songs, but the song Thank You needs to explode, outwise it will be to long and boring unless it is an album closer. 400 just has a lot of power in it, I think. So I want piano infused with rock(like rock bands done before coldplay) but who knows what we'll get.

I would go with Lanois, but there is always the chance of a self-produced album. I think Lanois and Self-produced are the most likely at the moment, that's if these songs are more than just demos.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting post from someone over at thelarrymullenband.com: "Let me add a bit to the speculation, but not a whole lot.
I hate it when people write like this, but I am telling the truth to the best of my knowledge.
I know someone who is related to someone who works in the touring crew. Before the postponement of the tour (key point- things always change), some touring personnel were told that there may be an upcoming 'release' after Leg 4, with a few more shows to be possibly added afterwards for promotion.
That's all I know. Was the release the Milan DVD? The ZOO TV DVD? An EP? A single? I don't know."

To me, 400 and Thank you sound like demos and Bono was probably offering the songs to the band. 402 and 404 sound more developed so who knows how far along they are?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
you are what you is

these songs are just demos, I don't really have doubts about that
if they want to stay close that what these songs are now they could just go with Lanois
I think the demos fit Lanois perfectly and I'm convinced he would create something magnificent together with the band out of this

I don't believe in a fully self produced U2 album
I think having a producer there helps them to share the pressure of the creative process with someone outside the band lessens the pressure on themselves (especially Edge) a bit

if they are going to try out a new producer then it really could be just about anyone
but I don't think they will for some reason
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Refugee

400 will be excellent I think, the melody and harmonies really caught my ear..I could see it on the same album as 402 (which has some chunky guitars that U2 has been lacking for a while, IMO) and Mercy, because those songs all share the same kind of tone even if musically they're a bit different.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Interesting post from someone over at thelarrymullenband.com: "Let me add a bit to the speculation, but not a whole lot.
I hate it when people write like this, but I am telling the truth to the best of my knowledge.
I know someone who is related to someone who works in the touring crew. Before the postponement of the tour (key point- things always change), some touring personnel were told that there may be an upcoming 'release' after Leg 4, with a few more shows to be possibly added afterwards for promotion.
That's all I know. Was the release the Milan DVD? The ZOO TV DVD? An EP? A single? I don't know."

Ah, you've gotta love 'speculation' and 'rumors'. They're what fuels this forum!
Old 07-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:09 PM
haha i could make up lots of stories that would be believable.....

I would like to see U2 go with a totally different producer then theyve used in the past whether it be Ruben or somebody else....Eno especially likes to strip out a lot of guitar from the final mix.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The last guitar song sounds like The Strokes, which is good, in my opinion. I'd like an album with such songs.

I can't tell yet, but it'll probably be a mixture
Old 07-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III
The last guitar song sounds like The Strokes, which is good, in my opinion. I'd like an album with such songs.
http://forum.interference.com/t162637.html
Old 07-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
400 will be excellent I think, the melody and harmonies really caught my ear..I could see it on the same album as 402 (which has some chunky guitars that U2 has been lacking for a while, IMO) and Mercy, because those songs all share the same kind of tone even if musically they're a bit different.
actually, I can see all four songs and Mercy on an album. I get sort of an ATYCLB fused with 90's U2 vibe from these tracks, with some Beatles influence in there as well.

I'd like to hear some more rockin' U2 along the lines of 402, but I'm really liking the piano stuff too. both 400 and 403 have grown on me a lot. Melody wise I'm gonna have to go with 404 as the best, the verse melody is

I think Edge should be involved in production more, my reasoning for that being Zooropa, which I think is their best produced album. I'm not suggesting he produce the album by himself though. Rubin would be good for sure, but I'd also be perfectly happy with Lanois and/or Eno. just...no Lillywhite, please.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
I know someone who is related to someone who works in the touring crew.

Quote:
any guesses on producer/who they're working with in these early sessions? My guess, given Thank you work, is they're with Lanois.
Not sure, Lanois seems to have a very busy summer
http://www.daniellanois.com/calendar.htm
Old 07-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 10:09 AM
I feel the Edge's guitar work on 404 (All My Life) and the songs melody have a Chilli Peppers vibe, except in the vocals (Californication anyone?), especially Edge's blusey guitar solo. I feel this sound lends them to Rubens style- reminds me of the Peppers.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Re: So now that we heard the first clips...

Quote:
a) do you think the album will sound more like Thank you and 400 song, or more guitars like 402 and 404? Hoping for the latter, myself. 402 sounds like the sound Mercy was hinting at.

b) any guesses on producer/who they're working with in these early sessions? We heard "a trusted pair of producers" was picking out the best leftovers from Bomb, and there were rumours on Rick Rubin. My guess, given Thank you work, is they're with Lanois.
A) I'm hoping for 402 and 404 songs too. I've said this before but I think they are the kind of songs U2 wanted to put on HTDAAB.

B) Lanois and The Edge should co-produce the album since the two of them could balance the ATYCLB kind of songs and the new Edgier songs , no pun intended.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Are these finished songs or demos?
The last time we heard beach clips they were demos but very close to the final album version

Are we close to a release date?
The last set of beach clips were very close to HTDAAB release date so I say probably

So...album or single?
I'd lay money on an EP with just these tracks (no Mercy). I don't think an album is likely at this stage.

Producer?
Since one of these tracks is co-written by Lanois, I think he's probably already involved
Old 07-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Thanks for the heads-up Gibsongirl!