So now that we heard the first clips...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
a) do you think the album will sound more like Thank you and 400 song, or more guitars like 402 and 404? Hoping for the latter, myself. 402 sounds like the sound Mercy was hinting at.

b) any guesses on producer/who they're working with in these early sessions? We heard "a trusted pair of producers" was picking out the best leftovers from Bomb, and there were rumours on Rick Rubin. My guess, given Thank you work, is they're with Lanois.

I'm not sure what the album will sound like, but I like the piano they are using, I would love to see it make it into the songs, but the song Thank You needs to explode, outwise it will be to long and boring unless it is an album closer. 400 just has a lot of power in it, I think. So I want piano infused with rock(like rock bands done before coldplay) but who knows what we'll get.

I would go with Lanois, but there is always the chance of a self-produced album. I think Lanois and Self-produced are the most likely at the moment, that's if these songs are more than just demos.

Interesting post from someone over at thelarrymullenband.com: "Let me add a bit to the speculation, but not a whole lot.
I hate it when people write like this, but I am telling the truth to the best of my knowledge.
I know someone who is related to someone who works in the touring crew. Before the postponement of the tour (key point- things always change), some touring personnel were told that there may be an upcoming 'release' after Leg 4, with a few more shows to be possibly added afterwards for promotion.
That's all I know. Was the release the Milan DVD? The ZOO TV DVD? An EP? A single? I don't know."

:hmm:

To me, 400 and Thank you sound like demos and Bono was probably offering the songs to the band. 402 and 404 sound more developed so who knows how far along they are? :shrug:

these songs are just demos, I don't really have doubts about that
if they want to stay close that what these songs are now they could just go with Lanois
I think the demos fit Lanois perfectly and I'm convinced he would create something magnificent together with the band out of this

I don't believe in a fully self produced U2 album
I think having a producer there helps them to share the pressure of the creative process with someone outside the band lessens the pressure on themselves (especially Edge) a bit

if they are going to try out a new producer then it really could be just about anyone
but I don't think they will for some reason

400 will be excellent I think, the melody and harmonies really caught my ear..I could see it on the same album as 402 (which has some chunky guitars that U2 has been lacking for a while, IMO) and Mercy, because those songs all share the same kind of tone even if musically they're a bit different.

U2girl said:
Interesting post from someone over at thelarrymullenband.com: "Let me add a bit to the speculation, but not a whole lot.
I hate it when people write like this, but I am telling the truth to the best of my knowledge.
I know someone who is related to someone who works in the touring crew. Before the postponement of the tour (key point- things always change), some touring personnel were told that there may be an upcoming 'release' after Leg 4, with a few more shows to be possibly added afterwards for promotion.
That's all I know. Was the release the Milan DVD? The ZOO TV DVD? An EP? A single? I don't know."

:hmm:

Ah, you've gotta love 'speculation' and 'rumors'. They're what fuels this forum!

haha i could make up lots of stories that would be believable.....

I would like to see U2 go with a totally different producer then theyve used in the past whether it be Ruben or somebody else....Eno especially likes to strip out a lot of guitar from the final mix.

The last guitar song sounds like The Strokes, which is good, in my opinion. I'd like an album with such songs.

I can't tell yet, but it'll probably be a mixture ;)

Sleep Over Jack said:
400 will be excellent I think, the melody and harmonies really caught my ear..I could see it on the same album as 402 (which has some chunky guitars that U2 has been lacking for a while, IMO) and Mercy, because those songs all share the same kind of tone even if musically they're a bit different.

:up: actually, I can see all four songs and Mercy on an album. I get sort of an ATYCLB fused with 90's U2 vibe from these tracks, with some Beatles influence in there as well.

I'd like to hear some more rockin' U2 along the lines of 402, but I'm really liking the piano stuff too. both 400 and 403 have grown on me a lot. Melody wise I'm gonna have to go with 404 as the best, the verse melody is :drool:

I think Edge should be involved in production more, my reasoning for that being Zooropa, which I think is their best produced album. I'm not suggesting he produce the album by himself though. Rubin would be good for sure, but I'd also be perfectly happy with Lanois and/or Eno. just...no Lillywhite, please.

I feel the Edge's guitar work on 404 (All My Life) and the songs melody have a Chilli Peppers vibe, except in the vocals (Californication anyone?), especially Edge's blusey guitar solo. I feel this sound lends them to Rubens style- reminds me of the Peppers.

U2girl said:
a) do you think the album will sound more like Thank you and 400 song, or more guitars like 402 and 404? Hoping for the latter, myself. 402 sounds like the sound Mercy was hinting at.

b) any guesses on producer/who they're working with in these early sessions? We heard "a trusted pair of producers" was picking out the best leftovers from Bomb, and there were rumours on Rick Rubin. My guess, given Thank you work, is they're with Lanois.

A) I'm hoping for 402 and 404 songs too. I've said this before but I think they are the kind of songs U2 wanted to put on HTDAAB.

B) Lanois and The Edge should co-produce the album since the two of them could balance the ATYCLB kind of songs and the new Edgier songs , no pun intended.

Are these finished songs or demos?
The last time we heard beach clips they were demos but very close to the final album version

Are we close to a release date?
The last set of beach clips were very close to HTDAAB release date so I say probably

So...album or single?
I'd lay money on an EP with just these tracks (no Mercy). I don't think an album is likely at this stage.

Producer?
Since one of these tracks is co-written by Lanois, I think he's probably already involved

I think the new music will not be progressive enough for many posters here.

We will lose these posters.

This can only be considered a good thing.

Well, I believe they've done it again. I've been listening to the beach recording (18+ minutes) constantly lately (after I swore I wouldn't), and although it does sound like ATYCLB / HTDAAB period stuff, I hear a progression moving towards the Mercy direction we were lucky to get a taste of.

MrBrau1, I believe this IS progressive, although not as dramatically as in the past. They are changing more slowly now, but the quality remains amazing.

Track 402 I dismissed at first, because it reminded me too much of Stuck for some reason. I no longer feel that way. This is a great track, and you can tell that there will be a lot of details to hear instrumentally in this one when we finally get to hear the real thing, which we cannot make out from these recordings.

Track 404 will be incredible, and sounds like the possible lead single, from this...EP...

Yep, I think this will definitely be a Zooropa-type of release (expanding to a full album with some "experimental" material also).

But I do NOT think that Mercy will be on it. My hunch is that after the leak, they saw our reaction to that song (they definitely have their ear on the Web), and changed their minds about being a B-side. They will want to continue to tweak it, and we'll probably hear an amazing (but a bit shorter) version on the next "full" album. We may see a version very close to the one we now know on a B-side as a remix after the album version becomes a single in 2009 or so.

Back to this recording -- track 400 is beautiful, and I fully expect a lot more significant piano like this, based on Bono's lessons, etc. But I believe Edge will play the piano parts on the album. I think Bono wanted to learn just for the creative process.

I like track 403 a lot better than I initially did. It may indeed be an album closer, as several people have suggested. There are some very interesting parts in that song.

I'm positive Bono planned on this leak. It's obvious. He knows people hang out there waiting for something. He knows they'll get immediate feedback from the Web community. They're no dummies. I wouldn't be surprised they offered up some Strokes promotion there, knowing we'd be all over it along with these tracks.

But I'm excited for the official release. It sounds incredible.

404 has grown on me quite a bit. Prior to the guitar work at the end, it sounds like an ATYCLB-era song, similar style and feel to Walk On. I think most of the material we have heard seems to follow the ATYCLB poppy style more than HTDAAB, and feels more natural. Having said that, 400 sounds quite different for them, the melodies and harmonies are quite inspired. 402 is a bit different though, with much more guitar, a bit crunchier, so perhaps the next album will be a true guitar album..

I've found that Thank You has surprisingly grown on me A LOT for some reason. I'm not that fond of the lyric but the melody and singing is really beautiful. The only one I can't get into so much is 400. 402 is my fav followed by 404 but I've put those away so I don't get too used to the melodies.

I listened to everything, and sorry if this is a stupid question, but why are they called beach clips?

inmyplace13 said:
I listened to everything, and sorry if this is a stupid question, but why are they called beach clips?

hear those waves? :wink:

it's 'cause they were recorded on the beach outside of Bono's house (right?)

400 (Can You Feel) - Too much A capella and repeated verses. My least favorite.

402 (I Believe) - By far my favorite. The synth rocks.

403 (Thank You) - Has grown on me. Great vocals here. Maybe people who don't like
it also don't like Miss Sarejevo and OOTS.

404 (Moment) - Lyrics in chorus sound a bit trite. Guitar solo sounds anemic. Needs work IMO.

ntalwar said:
400 (Can You Feel) - Too much A capella and repeated verses. My least favorite.

402 (I Believe) - By far my favorite. The synth rocks.

403 (Thank You) - Has grown on me. Great vocals here. Maybe people who don't like
it also don't like Miss Sarejevo and OOTS.

404 (Moment) - Lyrics in chorus sound a bit trite. Guitar solo sounds anemic. Needs work IMO.

I agree completely with each point here.
About progressiveness:
The piano in itself is enough in a way; Bono playing a new instrument will bring new types of music, and even if they're not groundbreaking, it'll be new enough for me.
What I do like is the way Edge plays - on 402 his guitar sort of repeats the melody like with Mercy, and not in a way really done before - I don't see guitar playing like this on the two latest records.

But, of course, we won't get a Zooropaesque record or anything, but we never will, so :p

The only thing that annoys me is that my favourite one was a Strokes song. Bleh.

Sleep Over Jack said:
400 WILL indeed be excellent. It's U2 moving on from OOTS further in a Beatles direction, and I love it :drool:

I would much rather see U2 devolve into writers of personal songs like Sometimes, COBL, and 400, rather than aging rockstars preening around cardboard peace anthems such as Peace On Earth, LAPOE, etc.

:madspit: :wink:

EDIT: And I'm NOT knocking LAPOE musically (well, 'cept for the Franz Ferdinand guitar tone), but I'm knocking it for the jackoff lyrics.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
400 WILL indeed be excellent.

I'm not even sure it can be assumed that it's U2 (alone) performing. At the end, a male voice says "We're The Arcade Fire".
And I can't remember if U2 has ever done that a capella style of vocals.

Earnie Shavers said:

Wow, do you really pin those two songs so close together?

I meant to reference slower piano songs, using those as an example.

the only part i like is the guitar solo on 404.
all the other demos(?) sound really lame. they should take a longer break after the tour and then they should re-group with some new(!) ideas and not with songs sounding like WALK ON Part 5 or THTBA Part 3. i hope they are able to get through a similiar creative process like they did in the early 90s.

Canadiens1160 said:
400 WILL indeed be excellent. It's U2 moving on from OOTS further in a Beatles direction, and I love it :drool:

I would much rather see U2 devolve into writers of personal songs like Sometimes, COBL, and 400, rather than aging rockstars preening around cardboard peace anthems such as Peace On Earth, LAPOE, etc.

:madspit: :wink:

EDIT: And I'm NOT knocking LAPOE musically (well, 'cept for the Franz Ferdinand guitar tone), but I'm knocking it for the jackoff lyrics.

400 doesn't really remind me of the Beatles actually, but it's got a great melody and feels subtley different from the usual U2 of the last few years..it seems different from those songs you cited as well, IMO.

Also, they can still do good rock songs, 402 being a good example, so there are reasons to be optimistic :drool:

Those expecting a huge progression will be dissapointed but must remember we are talking about men in their mid-forties here.

They are comfortable in their own skin & seem to have found their grove which I expect will take them through to the end of their career.

Their is enough diversity in their back catalogue to keep a lover of any genre happy.

Is there anyone alive today better at a mid-tempo rocker than U2 & they've never lost the ability to write the most beautiful ballads.

U2 get grief because their only yardstick is themselves.

To say that U2 won't progress is a severe underestimation of these four people. The greatest muse known to man is pain and anger. The band will continue to be driven by the belief that they change the world. Uncertainty and disillusionment has created some of the bands best works. Bono has Africa, Edge has the aftermath of Katrina and the band as a whole will deal with an unimaginable number of things before they call it a day. This next album should be good because when the clock is ticking the band will dig deep into themselves and use thier experiences of the last two years, shaping the album into something they hadn't intended. U2's songs now won't reflect the songs that end up on the next album. ATYCLB had the band in euphoria and Bomb was made in a time of grief and joy. This next album will be made in anger. I look for something more along the lines of Achtung Baby in theme opposed to the feel of the last two albums. The clips reflect U2 before they have to bring the skeletons out.

Back
Top Bottom