So now that we heard the first clips...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's interesting is how these demos have the same raw sound as previous album demos.

So quite honestly, Only God knows what we'll end up with.

:up: :up:

I'm not sure why people are concluding that 400 and 404 are even U2. Just because music comes from Bono's house does not mean it is U2. I feel that 402 and 403 are U2, but I feel that 400 and 404 may not be U2.

For 400 - someone mentioned a cello, "The Arcade Fire" is mentioned at the end, and at some points it sounds like more than 2 voices. I'm not even sure it sounds like Bono.

For 404 - The lyrics don't sound like something that Bono would write. The chorus and lead vocals may not be Bono and Edge.
The guitar solo does not sound like something The Edge would write.

ntalwar said:
I'm not sure why people are concluding that 400 and 404 are even U2. Just because music comes from Bono's house does not mean it is U2. I feel that 402 and 403 are U2, but I feel that 400 and 404 may not be U2.

For 400 - someone mentioned a cello, "The Arcade Fire" is mentioned at the end, and at some points it sounds like more than 2 voices. I'm not even sure it sounds like Bono.

For 404 - The lyrics don't sound like something that Bono would write. The chorus and lead vocals may not be Bono and Edge.
The guitar solo does not sound like something The Edge would write.

:huh: you're kidding right?

I could believe 409 wasn't U2 because it really sounded different from anything they'd done before. But Bono's voice is pretty damn distinctive. 400 could POSSIBLY be a duet or collab or something, but Bono is singing fo' sho, and there is NO doubt in my mind at least that 404 is U2. I'm not sure how the lyrics don't sound like Bono, but the vocals are definitely him, and the guitar solo is definitely Edge's. The first one is different, but listen to the second one. Pure Edge. Also, that explosive chorus is pure U2; it's very Walk On.

AtomicBono said:

I'm not sure how the lyrics don't sound like Bono, but the vocals are definitely him, and the guitar solo is definitely Edge's.

I mentioned the lyrics because they sound trite to me, and Bono is not known for writing trite lyrics.
Take Phil Collins as one example :"I've been waiting for this moment all my life" and change a couple words around.
And I still can't see Edge doing that solo.

ntalwar said:

I mentioned the lyrics because they sound trite to me, and Bono is not known for writing trite lyrics.
Take Phil Collins as one example :"I've been waiting for this moment all my life" and change a couple words around.
And I still can't see Edge doing that solo.

I'm sure people who dislike HTDAAB would argue that Bono does indeed write trite lyrics...

really I don't think the lyrics are that bad, we can't understand them all anyway, but it works for me :shrug: plus we don't know if this is even a finalized version of the song; it's hard to say. the lyrics are a bit generic...perhaps they'll change.

really, not even the second solo? the second solo sounds very 90's Edge to me. The first one (and first part of the second one) has more bluesy influence, but we know Edge has been spending a lot of time in New Orleans, and we've heard him do some blues licks before, so it's not like he's incapable of playing blues guitar :shrug:

AtomicBono said:

really, not even the second solo? the second solo sounds very 90's Edge to me. The first one (and first part of the second one) has more bluesy influence, but we know Edge has been spending a lot of time in New Orleans, and we've heard him do some blues licks before, so it's not like he's incapable of playing blues guitar :shrug:

Maybe the second one a little bit. But the first one sounds like "Blues guitar for beginners" compared to the BTBS live solo. I've seen him do better blues guitar on youtube when he was a teen.

Also, people were asking what happened to 401 and 405-408.
Well, maybe the taper stopped taping them(or did not upload) after deciding they were not U2 songs. And we already know that at least 409 (and possibly 400) is not U2. The clips uploaded were the taper's opinion of what was U2.

Last edited:
Some of you say Bono's lyrics are trite, or Edge's solo sounds like a blues beginner lesson? This album is still in a fairly early stage of development. Do you really expect him to know exactly what he wants to play at this point in time? Maybe he was just thinking "what if I play this simple blues riff in this key, just to see if it works. And if it does work, then I'll build onto this part." Bono doesn't write lyrics overnight.... Edge definitely doesn't write his guitar parts overnight. These songs are WORKS IN PROGRESS! I'm sure the album will be released in the 4th quarter of 2007 sometime. They're probably just working on demo sessions, and then do the rest of this tour, and then next year begin serious recording sessions. Take these songs for what they're worth.... U2 bouncing ideas off people. Most of these songs won't be on the album.

ntalwar said:

Maybe the second one a little bit. But the first one sounds like "Blues guitar for beginners" compared to the BTBS live solo. I've seen him do better blues guitar on youtube when he was a teen.

Well, maybe the taper stopped taping them(or did not upload) after deciding they were not U2 songs. And we already know that at least 409 (and possibly 400) is not U2. The clips uploaded were the taper's opinion of what was U2.

I'm pretty damn sure 400 is U2. Let's lay down some odds. I'm betting the quote at the end is just a tribute to Arcade Fire. Why am I so sure? 1) This is not a live tune, so saying "We're the Arcade Fire" appears to be a nod to them on a studio recording, because it may show a bit of their style, and 2) It sounds like Bono, both in singing and the quote, and 3) They definitely seemed intent on exploiting the piano more on the next album, which puts 1 & 2 together.

ntalwar said:

Do you just not read?

401 and 405-408 DO NOT EXIST. The taper was using the device for other purposes. This has been covered a million times before. Don't make up stupid conspiracy theories.

Axver said:

401 and 405-408 DO NOT EXIST. The taper was using the device for other purposes.

What was the source of this - other posts, or the taper himself?
I did see the posts - maybe they were someone else's theory.

Axver said:

Do you just not read?

401 and 405-408 DO NOT EXIST. The taper was using the device for other purposes. This has been covered a million times before. Don't make up stupid conspiracy theories.

U2 puts out fake songs and the tapers put out fake clips. So technically, for all we know, no one heard no real U2 music so far.

;)

U2girl said:

U2 puts out fake songs and the tapers put out fake clips. So technically, for all we know, no one heard no real U2 music so far.
;)

Lots of snide remarks around here lately, perhaps to cover up some peoples' original belief that 409 was U2.

Mark Freedman said:

I'm pretty damn sure 400 is U2. Let's lay down some odds. I'm betting the quote at the end is just a tribute to Arcade Fire. Why am I so sure? 1) This is not a live tune, so saying "We're the Arcade Fire" appears to be a nod to them on a studio recording, because it may show a bit of their style, and 2) It sounds like Bono, both in singing and the quote, and 3) They definitely seemed intent on exploiting the piano more on the next album, which puts 1 & 2 together.

I definitely agree with #2&3. As for #1, I doubt that the quote would make it onto the official album recording. I still think it was probably said as kind of an in-joke, and I'd bet that the rest of band probably cracked up in the studio after the quote, but that wasn't put on the recording. Nevertheless, the quote and the music certainly are a nod to the style of AF.

the edge solo on 404 is influenced by the stones GIMME SHELTER

achtung joke: his impressions after his visits in new orleans needed some musically expressions and so he played this shelterish solo...maybe this 404 will end on the next album as DIRTY KATRINA

How about this - the songs that we're hearing are leftovers from the ATYCLB and HTDAAB sessions that they're trying to finish (this sounds obvious), and if 409 is the Strokes, then perhaps they're working with Nigel Godrich, who worked with the Strokes in part on their last album before they decided to go back to their original producer? I.e. he's brought it along to listen to?

In all the madness, it might just be possible. But probably not! :wink:

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to you all this is
my first post. My real name is Bernard and i live in London.
Have been listerning to the beach clips and would like to put
my oppinions across. I know these clips are not the best quality in the world but hey thats all we have to go on folks! 402: love what i am hearing especially Larry's drumming nice to hear him
rolling his drums. My only qestion mark would be about the Edge's
solo it seems to go againts the grain? Maybe it was intentional, who knows?

404: huge potential i just hope the Edge keeps the solo in the middle but makes sure the arse dosn't fall out near the end of it
like in the beach clip. If that was intentional beacause he knew
the recorders were there, the Edge only knows. Love the way
he solos the ending of the song. My only worry is the drums.
I hoping that Larry was in a jamming stage. Unlike 402 where the
drums from start to finnish sound complete, 404 seems unsure and at times well, just like a jam.

The rest of the songs will have to wait.

Yes, i know it early doors and we haven't a clue what will and what will not end up on there next release. Also, at the end of
the day these are just oppinions.

Anyway, got ot go cause I've go sand in my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pentax said:
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to you all this is
my first post. My real name is Bernard and i live in London.
Have been listerning to the beach clips and would like to put
my oppinions across. I know these clips are not the best quality in the world but hey thats all we have to go on folks! 402: love what i am hearing especially Larry's drumming nice to hear him
rolling his drums. My only qestion mark would be about the Edge's
solo it seems to go againts the grain? Maybe it was intentional, who knows?

404: huge potential i just hope the Edge keeps the solo in the middle but makes sure the arse dosn't fall out near the end of it
like in the beach clip. If that was intentional beacause he knew
the recorders were there, the Edge only knows. Love the way
he solos the ending of the song. My only worry is the drums.
I hoping that Larry was in a jamming stage. Unlike 402 where the
drums from start to finnish sound complete, 404 seems unsure and at times well, just like a jam.

The rest of the songs will have to wait.

Yes, i know it early doors and we haven't a clue what will and what will not end up on there next release. Also, at the end of
the day these are just oppinions.

Anyway, got ot go cause I've go sand in my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its been established that it was pre recorded versions of these songs that were taped, not the band jamming live...

Ok, fair point Quadcaster, it's just the drums for 404 when compared with 402 seem to lack direction and balance. It might
be because the beach recording doesn't do it justice or it could be we have not heard the final version or versions (402). I really
do believe that it is time for U2 to show the world what it can do
technically. I know i don't have a right to tell the band what to do; but I can hope and dream.

No i do not play any instruments but if i did, it would be the drums.

I was listerning to OOTS, GONE, WDM WALK ON and the live version of Mysterious ways oh, and 402 it's just that well, I know
that the drums from those song are not the most difficult to play
for the durmers out there but it is uplifting when you hear Larry
play that way (for me anyway).

Take the way Edge plays guitar on 404 almost superb apart from
the last part of the middle solo it sounds like he forgets or messes up. BTBS, MWAYS, and Desire on these songs he has opened up and it sounds great.

Sorry for the rant.

Cheers.

guill said:

:yes:

Not sure, Lanois seems to have a very busy summer :wink:
http://www.daniellanois.com/calendar.htm

:confused: Am I missing something? The site shows a single date in August he's playing...

I think Rick Rubin isn't likely right now...he was enlisted to produce Metallica in February, and he is producing Linkin Park's new album which will be out by the end of this year.

No you missed nothing, Lanois had a lazy summer, he could have worked some songs with U2 last month.

Nobody wants a ticket Hal Willner/T-Bone ? :drool:

I'm not impressed by these clips. It's clear that we can hear beautiful melodies and that the songs seem interesting but I expect something different and better from a band like U2. I'm sure that U2 could record 10 such songs everyday without big efforts. The melodies are good but they are also very simple. If you compare them to the melodies of HTDAAB (which I don't consider as one of the best U2 albums), Bono has done a great job because he tries to sing in a different way on every song, which makes the songs something special although they are not the best ones. The clips we can hear now remind me of the general radio music I hear everyday.

Am I the only one with this opinion?

:| If I heard songs this good on the general radio I might actually listen to it once a month. And I think you're way off in your second assumption. It's not easy to write complete songs like this. Not for
u2 anyway. Its four very strong individual's pushing and pulling at a song until everyone is more or less happy with it. These four songs alone probably took a couple months for the band to get to this point (from first concept to full band recording).

I want to distance myself from the U2-bashers.

I love U2. Obviously. That's why I'm here. I'm a fan of early U2, mid-era U2, the 90's, loved Pop, loved ATYCLB, and totally fell for HTDAAB. So I don't want to come off as a basher by any means.

I just want to throw a little debate into the conversation (after all, that's one of the great uses of these forums, yes?)

I don't understand the enthusiasm over 404 and 402 especially. 404 seems to be the better of the two to me (the vocal melody and big chorus appeal to me). But the sound seems a little....I dunno, a little ATYCLB. Which is an album I loved, but it seems like these songs are a throwback to that.

402 to me sounds like it lacks bigness. It doesn't have an epic quality to me.

What I'm wondering is where the rejoice for the "rock" is. These songs don't have the "rock" that ABOY and Vertigo have, at least not to my ears.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited for U2 as the next guy. I was just throwing my thoughts out there.

But maybe I'm just a weirdo. I don't seem to agree with much here. After all, I really liked "Thank You" (assuming they work with the dynamics a bit). And I like the Beatles-trip that is Can't You See. But that's just me.

Again, not bashing the boys. Just throwing a little friendly criticism out there. It comes from a place of love, trust me.

When Tomb Raider 2 came out, there were rumours U2 would have 2 songs on the soundtrack. I'm probably wrong, but wasn't one of them called "I Believe"? Can anyone answer this. ;)

Back
Top Bottom