so, erm...giving friends a U2 album for their birthday...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I gave a friend of mine [a CD-R of] ''The Unforgettable Fire' for their birthday today [and a CD-R of the b-sides]...was considering 'October' but was listening to 'The Unforgettable Fire' late last night and suddenly fell in love with that album again!

I, personally, thought it was the perfect album to give someone since there's such a mix of different songs on there! Probably a 'perfect' Masterpiece! :drool:

So, erm...now the point of this thread is...good choice? Bit of an odd question, I know, but was just wondering what, if any, U2 album you people would give to someone who's not heard much U2 before?

I was aiming to avoid 'The Joshua Tree' and 'Achtung Baby' since nearly everyone knows those and I'd sent my friend a few tracks from each. 'Bad' is indispensable, really...and the B-sides cannot be beat either...except maybe the 'Joshua Tree' ones :wink:...close call.

this year I've gifted U2 concerts in birthdays...

for my brother the Vertigo show from his birthday (a month after), and to a girl I gave her a Joshua Tree tour show from the day of her birthday

I rather giving that that an album... is cheaper :wink:

a few of my friends have asked to borrow HTDAAB on the strength of the singles released from it. a good choice indeed:wink:

I used to joke about givin my friend Pop for her birthday, and she's like nooooo, not Pop

I got her Boy instead, she was happy :wink:

gareth brown said:
I gave a friend of mine [a CD-R of] ''The Unforgettable Fire' for their birthday today [and a CD-R of the b-sides]...

This is probably me, but i don't consider a copy of a cd a gift for any b-day.

Anyways, i think i'd give "The Josua Tree", to me that album seems the least dated album, meaning , it will stand the test of time and soundwise it wil always stay modern, much like Levi's jeans never going out of fashion or soemthing like that, i'm terrible at writing my thoughts :)

in real life...

jt
achtung
atomic
atyclb
war
fire
rh
boy
pop
boy
october

now that's not my order of pref...
but for the not so used to greatness................
it's a start.
or you could get them all.
and hand them out in that order, preferably.

(ps i work at a running specialty store and we play october and uf and my mix of rare/live/unreleased songs daily, haha)

i'm just saying ease them into greatness........ilu2.

right now.....

(ab will always be my favorite, but october is the only one i'm playing. i got it as a gift on vinyl it's so awesome, the cover is on my wall..... i love fire.)

TheQuiet1 said:

Personally I'd plump for AB.

OK, just reread your original post. In that case I'd have gone for War! I think that has the most consistent listenability for me of any of their albums with the exception of HTDAAB and AB.

scottyT said:
right now.....

(ab will always be my favorite, but october is the only one i'm playing. i got it as a gift on vinyl it's so awesome, the cover is on my wall..... i love fire.)

:up: Fire is a fantastic song, October a great album and AB is nearly perfection.

i wouldn't dare give my mates a U2 album...there all anti-u2 pro-r&b stuff but if i had the guts to... it would be War, because it's my fav... or probably ATYCLB

Re: Re: so, erm...giving friends a U2 album for their birthday...

underscore said:
This is probably me, but i don't consider a copy of a cd a gift for any b-day.

Good thing I'm not you then...

If I had gone to the trouble of buying a new copy of The Unforgettable Fire, chances are I would have been told I didn't have to go to that trouble!! You know what people are like... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom