So Eno and Lanois had nothing to do with this album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Danny acctually stopped by for a couple weeks last year or earlier this year to see how things were going along, but not much to do with the album being produced. I was a little distressed to find those two weren't producing the album, but after hearing Virtigo, i am confident our old friend Steve has done a tremendous job on this album.

I've heard criticisms of the Lillywhite sound on the old U2 albums, but he has really nailed this sucker. :)

Keep in mind that Lillywhite did work on JT, AB, and ATYCLB as well as the earlier stuff.

i think Brian Eno is really talented,
but i really HATE the productions he's done for U2.
You hear the songs live and they ROCK, and when you go and hear them from the cd, there's always this light pop/rock feel into them, which i don't like....
what do you think?

Last edited:
U2_Neat said:
i think Brian Eno is really talented,
but i really HATE the productions he's done for U2.
You hear the songs live and they ROCK, and when you go and hear them from the cd, there's always this light pop/rock feel into them, which i don't like....
what do you think?

I think that's more the Lanios element than Eno, if you listen to Zooropa which only has Eno on board you can tell, songs like Dirty Day and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed car really kick on that record and the songs are more abstract in their nature. I feel Lanois took more control on ATYCLB than Eno, to me, that's why that record has that kinda 'pop' feel to it.

Lo-Fi said:

I think that's more the Lanios element than Eno, if you listen to Zooropa which only has Eno on board you can tell, songs like Dirty Day and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed car really kick on that record and the songs are more abstract in their nature. I feel Lanois took more control on ATYCLB than Eno, to me, that's why that record has that kinda 'pop' feel to it.

i think what you say about zooropa is because edge co-produced it... ;)

But Lanois and Eno were both involved on Achtung Baby which was fairly rocking...

I agree that Lillywhite has produced a great sound - its just the noise that I wanted the band to be coming up with.

I'm particularly impressed by Larry and Adam's contribution on Vertigo: for me, they actually make the tune....

U2_Neat said:

i think what you say about zooropa is because edge co-produced it... ;)

He certainly did and a grand job he did as well I may add.

But the thing that's missing on the Zooropa record is the 'pop' element that you spoke about, and to me, that's because Lanios is missing, Lanios is a more structured produer than Eno, Eno is an instrumental artist, in instrumental music you have to create emotion purely through your music so the structure is looser to create that. Daddy's Gonna Pay... Zooropa, Dirty Day, The Wander and numourous other songs on that record all would have been totally different if Lanios was on board, and IMHO, not as intresting or as good. Lanois and Eno work brilliantly as a team as they balance each other out in terms of style and structures, but if I was to pick one of the to produce a U2 record, I'd presonally prefer Eno.

Back
Top Bottom