So do you think these songs have been around for a while?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
So do you think these songs have been around for a while and that the band had kept them around and worked on them until they were ready to be released? While some of the songs on ATYCLB were just something to get out of the way and that is why this album is so much better than that album and makes you wonder if this is even the same band that made that album?

THe only other band I know of that keeps songs around for a long time until they're officially released is Radiohead.

we know that OoTS has been around since 2000 (CNN interview). did i read somewhere that COBL was something they made back in 96-97?

david said:
So do you think these songs have been around for a while and that the band had kept them around and worked on them until they were ready to be released? While some of the songs on ATYCLB were just something to get out of the way and that is why this album is so much better than that album and makes you wonder if this is even the same band that made that album?

THe only other band I know of that keeps songs around for a long time until they're officially released is Radiohead.

Nirvana used to hold on to songs for a long time, some of the songs off their last studio album "in utero" were written in 1990 (in utero was released in 93)

COBL dates from the POP sessions I believe..Man And A Woman, & LAPOE come from the ATYCLB sessions right? also, I believe Original Of The Species dates back to some time in the 90s, right? The last one I can think of is that All Because Of You dates back to "She's Gonna Blow Your House Down from the Achtung Baby sessions and also Rattle And Hum too?

starsgoblue said:
Ummm COBL was written as a reaction to seeing the audience at Madison Square Garden after 9/11

Or we just talking bout the musical parts of that song?

I saw that the song was originally conceived for POP, but they must have worked the lyrics for the new album maybe?

what amazes me is how bono can write such great lyrics to already completed verses and choruses, and under the gun too! this guy's the shit

I like that they hoard songs, since if they hit a creative dead end, they can revive promising old demos and shit...I read they recorded 100 songs for ATYCLB! :drool:

discothequeLP said:
what amazes me is how bono can write such great lyrics to already completed verses and choruses, and under the gun too! this guy's the shit

I love him....:love:

Can you imagine what kind of beautiful dreams Bono must have? I wish I could crawl into his imagination for a day...

I read that City of Blinding Lights is a leftover from the Pop sessions, and the fact that Flood and Nellee Hooper are credited is verification. Same with Love and Peace or Else, being leftover from ATYCLB sessions, as well as Original of the Species which is obviously leftover as it appears in a TV segment which is 4 years old.

As for the rest. All it takes is a new set of lyrics, even a new chorus to change the name of a song. Who knows, Bulldozer may be on the album as something else, it's not out of the question.

I think there is an combination of new and old material on most of the songs, U2 aren't going to let good ideas die. Hell, if they had a good rhythm section or a good chord sequence or even a good melody, they would probably work on it, even if it's 7 or 8 years old.

One thing is for sure, they record A LOT of music during their sessions. I would guess they still have most of those tapes, maybe all of them and go back thru and find ideas. Some ideas don't work well with some producers, and some work very well with others. I'm not sure I could see them making Vertigo with Eno and Lanois. Lanois would be trying to pretty it up and Eno doesn't even like guitars, so he probably would have thrown some ambience in there.

I am hoping some unreleased stuff, real unreleased stuff is in that digitial box set coming out on I-tunes. I am guessing it's probably stuff that most of us have anyways. A real 'tracks' like box set might come out, but it will probably be when U2 calls it a day. Hopefully sooner, just not optimistic about that, I am happy they are stil making meaningful music in their 40's.

Back
Top Bottom