So did U2 sell out with the iTunes ad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

East 17

The Fly
I mean, on the one hand it's self promotion. It's not as if they're selling vacuum cleaners or SUVs with "Vertigo." Still, isn't this the first commercial ever to feature a U2 song (save public service announcements, movie trailers, and the Fox Sports leadup to the Super Bowl)? And isn't it just as much about iPods and iTunes as it is U2?

I don't own an Apple, but I love my iPod, and iTunes has pretty much saved the industry. Nevertheless, this commercial gave me pause. What do y'all think?

Oh yeah, and "Beautiful Day" during the Olympics. I know, I know, there are a lot of exceptions, but you have to admit that the iTunes ad is a very different animal altogether.

Since iTunes has to do with music and U2 make music it seemed only fitting to use their music in an iTunes ad.

if vertigo was put in an ad for viagara i would pause for a second and question motives. think about it...your love is teaching me how to kneel.

anyway, i love apple so this doesn't bother me in the slightest. it seems that there is a real partnership building between u2 and apple. i don't think we'll be seeing u2 on any mitsubishi commercials. i think u2 is trying to promote the new direction of the industry as well as themselves simultaneously.

iTunes is just a way of distributing the single.

U2 has done deals with retail stores ('7' CD in 2001) in the past.

The legal digital media market is supposed to grow exponentially over the next few years and Apple owns 80% of that market right now.

I loved the video, by the way, and I take devious pleasure in having U2 shoved down America's throat. Hehehehehe :evil:

I guess it's no different than those Best Buy ads highlighting the Boston DVD. Like I said, I have no problem with self-promotion, and the more I think about it, the more I realize that's all this is.

However, when Google uses ISHFWILF in a commercial...

It's a fine line but it is an advert for a product that permits the purchase of U2's new song. I believe U2 has walked the tightrope successfully. And it is a very cool advert too!

Se7en said:
if vertigo was put in an ad for viagara i would pause for a second and question motives. think about it...your love is teaching me how to kneel.

thats hilarious. I think this isnt anywhere near selling out. Their promoting music, not promoting a product.

No.
It's an add promoting their music while simoultaneusly promoting the product and the company dealing with music that are on the edge of music industry. (Itunes and Ipods just may be a way of rejuvenating the music industry)

Last but not least, maybe this means Apple will also sponsor the new tour with cool new sound/video thingies, possibly even concert downloads like some bands started.

I said this elsewhere, but it fits here too:

Michelangelo got paid to paint the Sistine Chapel by the church.
Gutenberg began a business arrangement with Andreas Dritzehn to create movable type.
Salvador Dali was a money sucking attention craving freak.
Andy Warhol made art from a campbell's soup can.
U2 charged 130.00 for 40% the seats on the last tour.

I mean, what is a sell out anyway?
U2 can put a sponsor on, so long as it's tasteful what does it matter?
I think asking if this partnership smart and appropriate is the important thing.

Glad to hear we are all on pretty much the same wavelength :applaud:

Once I heard about it, I immediately thought: Oh great! now come all the accusations of "selling out" :rant:

I think it's a great move and done tastefully in promoting legal music downloads and...more importantly....storming the mainstream with U2's music. That is definitely not a bad thing!!

U2girl said:
Last but not least, maybe this means Apple will also sponsor the new tour with cool new sound/video thingies, possibly even concert downloads like some bands started.

I love it!

I would love lower ticket prices even more!!

NA Stadium tour perhaps!....one can only dream!

No. Does U2 sellout when the do promo spots for radio stations:

Hi, this is Bono and you're listening to K-SHE 95, real rock radio.

No. Of course not.

Anyway, the ad ROCKS! It's sooo coool.

Mark

I don't think it's "selling out" at all, but that commercial bugs me. The band is fine, but it's those stupid non-U2 shadow people dancing like idiots. Makes the song seem really cheesy...

I'm cool with u2 songs being commercially used as long as I NEVER see WTSHNN in a car commercial - EVER (you know the car companies want this one BAD).

I don't think this is a sell out - I think its damn smart on both parts.

Last edited:
I would kill to see the members of U2 cavorting around in women's lingerie in an ad for Victoria's Secret... :D

They could have done worse...put the ad out when the album came out..we can't buy the single in the shops, and iTues only factors in so much, so I don't know how this could possibly help the song on the charts. The charts are based mostly on radio airplay, and radio aren't going to start playing the song b/c it was on TV. So they couldn't have "vertigO' in mind doing this.

If U2 was ever going to do an ad in their lives...ie allow one of their songs to be used for a TV commercial...(allow? Wrong term...they own all their publishing and catalog) it would be for a musical product such as a Walkman, or some device you play music with. I have no problem with that. This factors in with what the guys do for a living. The iPod is a revolutionary device (I've never used one but I have read a lot about them)....so it would be like someone inventing the stereo, or 100 yrs ago, the Victorola record player. And if the company that made it asked u2 to be one of many artists who promoted it to be spokesmen, fine.

Apple was probably desperate to get them, though, b/c I have a feeling that demand for these things has peaked. They are damned expensive, and the price isn't going down anytime soon. You can get a PC secondhand cheaper than you can get one of these things.

Bravo for u2 for trying to spread awareness, the iPod is a neat thing,a major invention in the history of popular music, but I hope they realize that the vast majority of theit audience can't afford them. And even people who can, may feel disinclined to heed the ad and buy one right now, even for Christmas, b/c tix of a typical show on their tour will likely cost as much as a third of the price of one. (Uh..*COUGH*..guys?:)And we're all saving for the tour! If I catch them outside the Four Seasons i Boston this tour, like last time, I will personally (but poilitely) give one of them a piece of my mind.

I look at it this way: If U2 chose to do one TV commerical in their lives, it would be for a musical listening device. If it were for ANY other product, period, yes, they'd be selling out. And look at the ad: it features the band and people dancing. The ad did not whore the product. If the whole thing was a big pic of an Ipod, I'd have concerns.

That said, I will give them the benfit of the doubt this time, but I am now officially putting the band on probation, like I did after Pop. One more ad for ANY OTHER type of product, and I am gone from the U2 Family. Out. Fintito. Period. I'd rather Bono divorced Ali and became a smackhead, than see any more of these, for anything else. I don't care if it's 20 yrs from now. And we had damned well not see any Apple logos on the tix etc. My patience will only go so far. They have not crossed the line yet, in my book, but this is a heads up.

REALLY REALLY WEIRD....this is just evidence of how deep a fan I am. Over the yrs I have gotten hunches, had dreams, or had strange thoughts pop into my head sometimes for no apparent reason. Like the band members having children. I'd think one day, at work, totally out of the blue, "I wonder if Larry and Anne are ever going to have any kids?" And then a week later the news comes across that Larry's just had a boy. Or if Bono will ever have a son..and a week and half later, comes news that Ali is pregnant again. And I swear, "news" that Bono was going to Africa came to me this way too. A hunch.

Just today I was thinking, totally out of the blue, "Thank GOD 'Streets' never ended up in a car commercial. I wonder if anybody will try to get hold of a U2 song this time around? Destiny's Child..what a tragedy..."

Last edited:
A) this isn't the first Apple commercial to feature U2. If they weren't sellouts the first time, how can they be now?

B) If Bob Dylan can do Vicotria Secret Ads, U2 can damn sure do iPod ads.

C) Why is it that every rap artist on Earth can do commercials featuring music written exclusivly for that commercial, and nto be considered a sell out... however... Led Zep can sell out songs for car commercials and also not be considred sell outs

Buttttt... one commercial promoting nothing more than the availability of a song to buy... which millions of acts have already done... raises the sell out question.

I say it's bullshit... everyone in the music industry is in it for money in some way or another. when U2 starts making music exclusively for commercials, then i'll start calling them sell outs (this means YOU aerosmith).

Well, I don't really give a damn either way, but at this point in their career I don't see a big problem. There are some products that would be weird (like my Victoria's Secret wish above), but fun, and some (like a Preparation H commercial) which would just be gross. But to me U2 is already such a commercial product (and that's fine, but face it, there is no undergroundness to U2 at all), that I can't see that allowing their music to be used in a few well thought out commercials would sully their reputation.

For me it is no different to appearing on a poster with the record company's name on it promoting their album. Its just a different medium - new media. And they are #1 for i-tunes downloads so sure, why not promote it.

Teta040 said:
They could have done worse...put the ad out when the album came out..we can't buy the single in the shops, and iTues only factors in so much, so I don't know how this could possibly help the song on the charts. The charts are based mostly on radio airplay, and radio aren't going to start playing the song b/c it was on TV. So they couldn't have "vertigO' in mind doing this.

If U2 was ever going to do an ad in their lives...ie allow one of their songs to be used for a TV commercial...(allow? Wrong term...they own all their publishing and catalog) it would be for a musical product such as a Walkman, or some device you play music with. I have no problem with that. This factors in with what the guys do for a living. The iPod is a revolutionary device (I've never used one but I have read a lot about them)....so it would be like someone inventing the stereo, or 100 yrs ago, the Victorola record player. And if the company that made it asked u2 to be one of many artists who promoted it to be spokesmen, fine.

Apple was probably desperate to get them, though, b/c I have a feeling that demand for these things has peaked. They are damned expensive, and the price isn't going down anytime soon. You can get a PC secondhand cheaper than you can get one of these things.

Bravo for u2 for trying to spread awareness, the iPod is a neat thing,a major invention in the history of popular music, but I hope they realize that the vast majority of theit audience can't afford them. And even people who can, may feel disinclined to heed the ad and buy one right now, even for Christmas, b/c tix of a typical show on their tour will likely cost as much as a third of the price of one. (Uh..*COUGH*..guys?:)And we're all saving for the tour! If I catch them outside the Four Seasons i Boston this tour, like last time, I will personally (but poilitely) give one of them a piece of my mind.

I look at it this way: If U2 chose to do one TV commerical in their lives, it would be for a musical listening device. If it were for ANY other product, period, yes, they'd be selling out. And look at the ad: it features the band and people dancing. The ad did not whore the product. If the whole thing was a big pic of an Ipod, I'd have concerns.

That said, I will give them the benfit of the doubt this time, but I am now officially putting the band on probation, like I did after Pop. One more ad for ANY OTHER type of product, and I am gone from the U2 Family. Out. Fintito. Period. I'd rather Bono divorced Ali and became a smackhead, than see any more of these, for anything else. I don't care if it's 20 yrs from now. And we had damned well not see any Apple logos on the tix etc. My patience will only go so far. They have not crossed the line yet, in my book, but this is a heads up.

REALLY REALLY WEIRD....this is just evidence of how deep a fan I am. Over the yrs I have gotten hunches, had dreams, or had strange thoughts pop into my head sometimes for no apparent reason. Like the band members having children. I'd think one day, at work, totally out of the blue, "I wonder if Larry and Anne are ever going to have any kids?" And then a week later the news comes across that Larry's just had a boy. Or if Bono will ever have a son..and a week and half later, comes news that Ali is pregnant again. And I swear, "news" that Bono was going to Africa came to me this way too. A hunch.

Just today I was thinking, totally out of the blue, "Thank GOD 'Streets' never ended up in a car commercial. I wonder if anybody will try to get hold of a U2 song this time around? Destiny's Child..what a tragedy..."

I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I shake my head at thinking like this. Seriously, what does a band have to do make some people happy? This venture is perfect for the band, the fans, and for extending the fan base.

First off, Vertigo set a record in digital single sales on I-tunes the first week. Yes, it was ONLY 30,000 (and in singles land this is very good) but in a land of dead single sales anywhere, that raises an eyebrow. It shows where the future of singles lays. Top pop 40 radio is a pain for acts like U2 to break into anyway, if they can get the song to kids via I-tunes I say do it. Radio isn't the only way to get your song played these days, and you might see the internet help drive radio for a change with this tune. Billboard has already created a chart for just this category, as they know digital matters. (BTW, Vertigo is #1 on that chart.) And you don't put the single ad out when the album comes out, that's when you promote the ALBUM. You put the single ad out when the single comes out.

Second, Vertigo is now a .99 cent song you can enjoy on any computer made in the last 4 years. You don't have to own a 300.00 I-pod. You forgot to mention this. Yes the I-pod is expensive, but no more than my X-box was when it came out 3 years ago. The price will come down. It's a computer for crying out loud. This argument is particularly annoying. Demand has peaked? Cute.

Third, what is the difference between U2 doing a clip for Vertigo on I-pod/I-tunes vs. U2 doing their own commercial and then saying you can buy it at record stores? ITS A MUSIC PLAYER AND AN ONLINE MUSIC STORE!!! Traditional music stores are dead anyway. Other than my local Best Buy, (this is sad) there isn't much of a selection anywhere. I-tunes has over 1,000,000 songs for me to try then buy. They have hundreds of indie labels. They are respected.

I absolutely agree with you that I would be disapointed if the band sold Beautiful Day to United Airlines or whatever, but this? This makes no sense... IF what you say is true, I hope you didn't see the last tour, as VH1 (a !GASP! music channel!) was on my ticket. Apple is no different, except they actually promote creativity and good music.

The only thing that bothers me is that Vertigo is an exclusive on I-tunes. But I take heart knowing that they picked the best music store with the broadest appeal. The online industry is young, and exclusives at this point aren't that big of a deal.

Not trying to be a jerk, take care!!!

Of course the ad is tastefully done and professional and gets people all excited about U2 and Apple and Ipods - that's its intent.

And of course, U2 always do whatever they have to do to remain at the top of the heap. But how much more will they have to rationalize? I mean Bono is already a board member of a venture capitalist firm (that's probably why they had to do the ad!). What fan ever thought that day would come?

I don't really mind the ad that much. Since I don't watch TV I'll probably never see it (though I have downloaed the 30 sec clip). I just think as genuine and dignified artists it doesn't bode well for their reputation. And I cringe to think of the people seeing the ad who don't "understand" U2 (i.e. non-fans, people not on this forum, etc) who will remember U2 and how earnest they've come across in their songs and see this ad and it will automatically go off in their head: "sell-outs" for the mighty dollar.

Back
Top Bottom