So Cruel: Worst U2 Song Ever!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PopMartian33107

Acrobat
To quote beloved film critic and "Raisenette" hawker Roger Ebert, I hated this song. Hated hated hated hated hated it. It's the only black spot on an otherwise great album.

I can understand the "evil", "dark" undertones that Dan says So Cruel was influenced by, and it does segue well into The Fly...but besides that, it's awful. The lyrics suck (well, mostly), the melody is bland and doesn't go anywhere, etc. etc. And I just hate it.

Anybody else agree? Just stating my opinion! :)

one of the best and most underappreciated song that U2 has ever written......many of U2's best sentiments wrapped in one: love, loss, confusion, regret etc

Definitely disagree !! So Cruel is a GREAT song ...
Bono said how he wrote this song because he understood what Edge was going through ... describing Edge's relationship with his first wife Aislinn ...

bad thread.:mad:

:wink: So Cruel is a beauty of a song. Most artists would pee in their pants if they came up with this one

Just to put in my two cents, I agree this is the worst song on AB by far. It is the only song I skip when listening to the album and the only blemish on an otherwise perfect album.

first impression of this song was not very appealing for me so i always skip it, but i guess i never gave this song a chance to grow on me.

So Cruel, the "heart" of the album? I don't understand that statement. It's not that I disagree with such a notion, it's just that I don't get it. If someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

I just feel So Cruel is the Trip Thru You Wires of Achtung Baby- a sort of fun, but mostly forgettable song that "blemishes an otherwise perfect album" (as one person nicely put it).

Also, some of you folks really should settle down. Don't get so antsy just because I hate this song! I'll take that as a compliment, though; my opinion must be so revered, that people get upset when it doesn't match their own! :D

Remember, opinions are like assholes...if mine doesn't soot your fancy, then don't sniff it. ;) Take care

It's not even close to being on my list of favorite U2 songs, but it's far from the worst. Far, far, far.

i can see where 'so cruel' could be considered the 'heart' of the album. i see that album as a story, with lots and lots of fallout from the desintegration of a relationship. each of the songs describes a bit of the fallout ('the fly' = debauchery and temptation, 'acrobat' = anger and frustration, etc...). i can see 'so cruel' as the one song on the album not about the fallout, but directly about the unravelling relationship. this song depicts the argument, and everything spins out from that focus...

i Disagree.. the song is beautiful!! the only part i do not like is the "they pass through you like a ghost"part its really cheesy but i just cringe at that part and enjoy the beauty of the rest of the song!

You're kidding about the lyrics, right? "Between the horses of love and lust we are trampled underfoot' is one of the greatest lyrics Bono has ever written. It's a gorgeous song.

It's brilliant in every regard. The lyrics are dark and beautifully poetic and the music builds to a subtle yet powerful climax. Check Edge's guitar as the song progresses. Anyone who says this song is the worst on the album has been huffing Windex. Try "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" for that dubious honor. That song's a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom