So Cruel: Worst U2 Song Ever!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Cruel is an amazing song. One of U2's most dark, bitter, depressing songs. Beautiful lyrics: "Between the horses of love and lust/We are trampled underfoot" ranks up there with the best lines ever.

So Cruel = A song of great beauty & lyrical depth - simple as that.

Achtung Baby wouldn't be the same without it & it brillantly contrasts with the full on guitar work from the edge on The Fly, which follows.

New Years Day is the worst U2 song ever - U2 at their po-faced hectoring worst.

ps - sorry to all NYD fans.

Last edited:
I can't believe some of you are hearing the same song I'm hearing. Did you get a defective copy of AB or something? I still remember hearing it for the first time and thinking those were some of the best lyrics Bono ever wrote.

Bono's shades said:
I can't believe some of you are hearing the same song I'm hearing. Did you get a defective copy of AB or something? I still remember hearing it for the first time and thinking those were some of the best lyrics Bono ever wrote.

Like I said, I mostly dislike the lyrics, even though some lines in particular do stand out as amazing, but that's not the problem for me anyway.

What sticks out for me in a good song is the melody, not the lyrics. I'll remember a catching melody long after I've forgotten the lyrics. That's why I dislike So Cruel so much- no hook, no real build-up, etc. Just my opinion!

PopMartian33107 said:

I just feel So Cruel is the Trip Thru You Wires of Achtung Baby- a sort of fun, but mostly forgettable song that "blemishes an otherwise perfect album" (as one person nicely put it).

Sort of fun? So Cruel? Are you sure we're talking about the same song?

I can't believe there are people out there who don't like So Cruel. :| At least if it had to do with the lack of a catchy hook or fast pace, I can somehow see what you're saying (I can't really but whatever.. :wink: ) .... but the lyrics??? Why.. the lyrics are among the best in their career. Okay okay, it's your opinion. And mine is that apart from Tryin to Throw Your Arms which I also like to an extent, Achtung is absolutely flawless.

Here's how to 'get' So Cruel.

1) Go over to your CD player

2) Eject Achtung Baby

3) Insert HTDAAB

4) Enjoy contemporary radio playlist friendly hooks that could come from one of a hundred bands. Marvel at the lyrics that a 2nd grader understands on the first listen, and have a similar emotional depth to your average Tom Hanks movie. Be continually gobsmacked at how the music has absolutely no relation to the subject or story being told. Listen in wonder to the production that has pushed all catchy noise to the front, to the point of barely being able to separate sounds, and all delicacy waaaaay to the back. Enjoy the non-existent flow of either music or ideas, giving it the incredible feel of a compilation album.

5) Leave Achtung Baby on the shelf for 10 years.

6) In 2015 return to AB, press play.

7) Enjoy what was then, and still would be if released now, an amazing sonic display almost entirely unique to that album. Marvel at lyrics that will forever continue to twist in your mind and release new meaning and understanding as you grow older and experience more in your own life. Be continually gobsmacked at how the music never fails to perfectly tell the story as a perfect mirror to the lyrics (imagine taking away the vocal all together, and left with an instrumental track alone there's a journey to be had with each and every track - try doing that with Crumbs, or Original or Miracle Drug or anything of that album). Listen in wonder to the near perfect production (certainly for 1991) and the depth of it, the subtle noises winding around in the background, bouncing to the front at just the right moments. Enjoy listening to it from beginning to end and let yourself be completely taken away, from the opening thumping bravado of Zoo Station to the sad closing prayer of Love Is Blindness.

One day, I promise you, So Cruel will make you feel like you've been shot in the heart.

Earnie makes another decent post.

It's almost amazing he is Australian I tells you!

So Cruel was the last song i "got" on Achtung. When that fell into place then I completely fell for Achtung. It was like the whole thing finally made sense.

Brilliant Song.

So Cruel to me has the best lyrics in a song Bono has ever written

"Between the horses' of love and lust we are trampled... under foot"

Earnie Shavers said:
Here's how to 'get' So Cruel.

1) Go over to your CD player

2) Eject Achtung Baby

3) Insert HTDAAB

4) Enjoy contemporary radio playlist friendly hooks that could come from one of a hundred bands. Marvel at the lyrics that a 2nd grader understands on the first listen, and have a similar emotional depth to your average Tom Hanks movie. Be continually gobsmacked at how the music has absolutely no relation to the subject or story being told. Listen in wonder to the production that has pushed all catchy noise to the front, to the point of barely being able to separate sounds, and all delicacy waaaaay to the back. Enjoy the non-existent flow of either music or ideas, giving it the incredible feel of a compilation album.

5) Leave Achtung Baby on the shelf for 10 years.

6) In 2015 return to AB, press play.

7) Enjoy what was then, and still would be if released now, an amazing sonic display almost entirely unique to that album. Marvel at lyrics that will forever continue to twist in your mind and release new meaning and understanding as you grow older and experience more in your own life. Be continually gobsmacked at how the music never fails to perfectly tell the story as a perfect mirror to the lyrics (imagine taking away the vocal all together, and left with an instrumental track alone there's a journey to be had with each and every track - try doing that with Crumbs, or Original or Miracle Drug or anything of that album). Listen in wonder to the near perfect production (certainly for 1991) and the depth of it, the subtle noises winding around in the background, bouncing to the front at just the right moments. Enjoy listening to it from beginning to end and let yourself be completely taken away, from the opening thumping bravado of Zoo Station to the sad closing prayer of Love Is Blindness.

One day, I promise you, So Cruel will make you feel like you've been shot in the heart.

Amen.

Although I don't think HDTAAB is that bad. I do believe that AB is a masterpiece with an experience that is 'almost unique to the album'.

what the fuck is this all about? yeah.. are you hearing the same song? "a sort of fun" regarding so cruel makes no sense. all of achtung baby is... perfection. its the most 'perfect' album the band has ever done. each and every song, tune, lyric, beat, feeling, theme, everything is flawless. every song is deep, intense, dark (except for Mysterious Ways.. its the more cheerful song on the album). and for those dissing "whos gonna ride your wild horses"... come on, its a classic. every single song on that album could have been a number one hit. my god.

U2 is also one of those bands that dont exactly use "filler" songs either. they put effort and beauty into each and every song. even if its not the best tune.. the lyrics will be brilliant or vice versa. they dont put out crap. sorry. hell, even 'discotheque' was brilliant, and if you read between the lines its got deep meaning.

I think the song is brilliant. The bass line during the chorus just draws me right into the song- very emotional,powerful. Lyrically perfect....."Baby, you're nowhere"

Hell no I don't agree! I love So Cruel, passionate singing from Bono, I love the "moaning like a hurt man" parts. It's got a great bitter sweet taste. The lyrics are beautiful and haunting. The piano and drums are great too. My favorite part is the moaning and when Bono sings the line "You don't know if it's fear or desire..."I love the way Bono sings the word "know", it sounds like he's italian or something. Anybody else loves this part? Fucking great song! :up:

KhanadaRhodes said:

brau, you KNOW that's not cool here.

also guys, can we lighten up just a little? it's just a song :)

I was posting my reaction to his opinion, which was shit. "Tit for tat" as they say.

"So Cruel" is absolute brilliance.

I've been through a couple tough relationships, and it seems this song illustrates them musically to perfection.

Not even nearly my favorite song on AB, but still an amazing tune.

I think this is one of U2s most under rated songs ever....its as powerful as One in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom