"so cruel" live.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I just downloaded this live version of so cruel from kazzaa. apparently it's a rehearsal from the zoo tv tour. it sounds great; full band, whole tune.
why they never played this on tour is beyond me.:scratch:

It is one of my favorite tunes.

Another classic "rare" live song is Zooropa from Wembley. Also Babyface from the same show.

I love listening to those three songs together...

It goes right along with Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. The two songs were basically a duo, with UTOW and The Fly bookending them.

ok, so then "achtung baby live":

1. zoo station
2. ebttrt
3. one
4. uteotw
5. wgrywh
6. so cruel
7. the fly
8. mysterious ways
9. tttyaatw
10. ultraviolet
11. X
12. love is blindness

x=acrobat. someone find a live recoding of that and we got something.:hyper: :bow: :dance:

if you have kazzaa, you gotta type in under title search "so cruel acoustic"

even thought it's the full band, electric.:|

JOFO said:

1. zoo station
2. ebttrt
3. one
4. uteotw
5. wgrywh
6. so cruel
7. the fly
8. mysterious ways
9. tttyaatw
10. ultraviolet
11. X
12. love is blindness

x=acrobat. someone find a live recoding of that and we got something.:hyper: :bow: :dance:
Actually there is a live recording of it (soundcheck). I heard it once, but U2 couldn't get it quite right, if I remember (which is probably why they never played it in concert). A shame really, as it is one of Bono's favourite songs from Achtung Baby.

Interesting thread! I was there when they played So Cruel Live. It was the first week of August 1992 and the band was practicing at Hershey Stadium in Hershey PA near where I live. The band was here for a whole week. They did put a concert on at the end of the week, but before that you could park in the parking lot of the Stadium and listen to the band practice from outside the Stadium. Hershey Stadium is not a real Stadium like you see in the NFL. Its more like two sets of very large bleachers, so it was no problem hearing everything during the rehearsals before the concert at the end of the week. I believe they also practiced Acrobat.

Bono did do an acoustic version of So Cruel live at 8-22-92 Foxboro, 9-9-92 Detroit and 9-15-92 Chicago. At the Foxboro one he only sang the first verse and chorus. I was at the Detroit and Chicago shows. Bono sang the entire song in Detroit, did the first verse and chorus in Chicago. Unfortunately no known recording exists of the Detroit or Chicago version.

In addition to the Hersey rehearsal recording. Both the acoustic and full band versions were rehearsed extensively at the 8-20-92 and 8-22-92 soundchecks. There are recordings of both of those and there is a decent recording of the Foxboro 8-22-92 show version.

Last edited:
I've got both So Cruel and Acrobat downloaded somewhere amongts my thousands and thousands of illegaly pirated music files... low quality recording, but I agree... they're great arangements and i wish they'd break 'em out again from time to time. Have never heard the live recording of Zooropa or Babyface... but it's off to Kazaa to try and find those babies

Why didn't they do this on the tour??!!
This is beautiful, starting with the acoustic and building up to the full band - also Bono's voice is in such fine form.
I guess we'll never know whey they didn't like this.

Hey Blue Room!

You said:

"In addition to the Hersey rehearsal recording. Both the acoustic and full band versions were rehearsed extensively at the 8-20-92 and 8-22-92 soundchecks. There are recordings of both of those and there is a decent recording of the Foxboro 8-22-92 show version. "

Are the recordings of the 8-20-92 and 8-22-92 soundchecks out in the general trading world (I haven't seen them) or have they been captured but remain in the "rare" trading circles?

Just curious...

:up: I definitely think they should play So Cruel live. My mom says that practically every time we listen to the song. She was at the Zootv show in Detroit when they played it but she doesn't remember it.

In2U2 said:
Hey Blue Room!

You said:

"In addition to the Hersey rehearsal recording. Both the acoustic and full band versions were rehearsed extensively at the 8-20-92 and 8-22-92 soundchecks. There are recordings of both of those and there is a decent recording of the Foxboro 8-22-92 show version. "

Are the recordings of the 8-20-92 and 8-22-92 soundchecks out in the general trading world (I haven't seen them) or have they been captured but remain in the "rare" trading circles?

Just curious...

No, they arent considered rare or anything. I dont know if anyone has converted the 8-22-92 check to CDR yet. I have converted 8-20 to CDR and I have the 8-22 tape but havent converted it myself yet. Both are audience recordings, not tremendous quality, but not bad considering they are soundchecks and are audience recordings done from outside the stadium.

JOFO said:

1. zoo station
2. ebttrt
3. one
4. uteotw
5. wgrywh
6. so cruel
7. the fly
8. mysterious ways
9. tttyaatw
10. ultraviolet
11. X
12. love is blindness

I don't have it but I have seen Acrobat on WinMx before. Just type in U2 Acrobat and occasionally a live version will pop up. There's usually a huge amount of people waiting to get it which is why I don't have it yet.

I have the live Acrobat kicking aroundon my harddrive right now. It is a simple accoustic version of the first two verses with bono accompanied by a single guitar. It ends with some odd electric guitar effects overwhich the opening for Zoostation starts up and then fades out.. It is really quite nice.

wertsie said:
She was at the Zootv show in Detroit when they played it but she doesn't remember it.
that's probably one of the reasons they don't play it

there are a lot of people here who say that they should play "Stay" with the full band
well, I heard them play it "full band"
not exactly the highlight of the show

Salome said:

there are a lot of people here who say that they should play "Stay" with the full band

Well, I dont think that is the case with So Cruel. Personally, I thought it was one of the highights of the 9-9-92 Detroit show. Just because someones Mom doesnt remember it from a concert that happened 10 years ago doesnt mean it wasnt good. Nice theory, last time I checked, Stay and So Cruel were two different songs. LOL Under your theory, songs they havent played much or not at all live must not be good live. I dont think that holds water.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
LOL Under your theory, songs they havent played much or not at all live must not be good live. I dont think that holds water.
that indeed is my theory,
or - at least - that the band doesn't think those songs work well live

I admit it's just a theory,
but it's a more likely one then assuming that the band does it to piss us off

Salome said:

I admit it's just a theory,
but it's a more likely one then assuming that the band does it to piss us off

LOL, oHHHH kAyyyyy

Actually I think you are right, it is a conspiracy just to piss you off because they dont play the songs YOU want, how dare they!!

Also, to shoot another hole in your theory. Alot of people think they should play Desire full band electric, yet they only play it acoustic. Electric Desire sounds awesome, whereas acoustic is average. So explain that one under your theory.

I think the most plausible theory is that they wouldnt even play a song in concert if they didnt think it was being played well. They may decide that a particular song doesnt fit the flow of the show, or the theme of the show or maybe they dont enjoy playing it. But that doesnt mean it is a bad song live at all.

IE Tomorrow
Dirty Day
Do You Feel Loved

Just to name a few were all great live but were either played sparingly and/or dropped entirely from the setlist. They still sound great live to me!

Last edited:
Salome said:

No, I don't think she didn't remember it because it wasn't memorable...It was her first U2 show and she was completely blown away. My first show was in Chicago in 1997 and I can't remember much about it...however, I could tell you a lot about my second show in Detroit...For me, I got so mesmerized and in such a daze...sort of like being really drunk and not remembering the next day what you did the night before.

Salome said:

Blue Room said:
I think the most plausible theory is that they wouldnt even play a song in concert if they didnt think it was being played well.

maybe I should stop drinking,
but aren't we saying almost the same thing?

Blacksword said:
I have the live Acrobat kicking aroundon my harddrive right now. It is a simple accoustic version of the first two verses with bono accompanied by a single guitar. It ends with some odd electric guitar effects overwhich the opening for Zoostation starts up and then fades out.. It is really quite nice.

I just downloaded that. strage it is.:scratch:

Back
Top Bottom