So Cruel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I'm not sure why this song isn't more popular. This is one of the best songs off Achtung Baby, even though they are basically all great on Achtung. I really wish this song would get played live properly. Some of Bono's best lyrics and some pretty gut wrenching music that just ties it all up together.

Tremendous song, and I'm also surprised it isn't held in a higher regard around here.

Depends on whether or not your fridge plays it...

Seriously though, I personally find it a bit meh - I reckon there are far better songs on AB. If it were on HTDAAB or ATYCLB on the other hand... but obviously it's not.

I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites from AB but I do think it's a great song. there are times when it fits my mood perfectly

amazing lyrics and delivery from bono

and i dig the bass :up:

I don't think any of them are in the mood, mindset, whatever you want to call it to be able to give this song a decent performance...

how do you figure? they played Kite after Bono's dad died on Elevation tour after he had been dedicating that song to him all tour.

i don't think the mood or mindset has much to do with it. maybe it does, but i just don't see it.

I agree I absolutely love this song. The complaints that I've heard around here are that it gets boring because of little variation in the music...but I actually enjoy that aspect of it- the simplicity of the instrumentation illuminates the smoothness and emotion in Bono's voice...the chorus is especially beautiful. This is one of my favorite vocals from Bono.

One of my absolute favorites on Achtung. Brilliant lyrics, lovely atmosphere, and those vocals. :love:

Also, SC has been played live more than once:

· 1992-08-22 - Foxboro, Massachusetts - Foxboro Stadium
· 1992-09-09 - Pontiac, Michigan - Pontiac Silverdome
· 1992-09-15 - Tinley Park, Illinois - World Music Ampitheater

I agree I absolutely love this song. The complaints that I've heard around here are that it gets boring because of little variation in the music...but I actually enjoy that aspect of it- the simplicity of the instrumentation illuminates the smoothness and emotion in Bono's voice...the chorus is especially beautiful. This is one of my favorite vocals from Bono.

:up:
The song is a smooth and mystical experience.

i think we're about as likely to see so cruel live as acrobat

I think so, too, but it's good this way, at least for me.

I've never liked So Cruel much, I usually skip it on the album.

And as for Acrobat: I know I may be opening a can of worms here, but I've never been overly excited by the thoughts of Acrobat being played live. Bono mumbling his way through yet another song? Thank you. There's just not much to sing here. I don't consider it to be a good live song - and apparently the band has been of the same opinion, since they rehearsed, but never played it.

But then again, I've never been too fond of The Fly live as well.

OK, shoot me.

Lately when I put on AB, I go straight to So Cruel first. It moved way up on my favorite U2 songs list in the last year or so.

I think it suffers because it is on an album full of so many great songs. I love So Cruel, I think it is vastly superior to Who's Gonna Ride and should have been a single instead of it.

There was a moment a few years back when I considered So Cruel to be my favorite U2 song.

It is beautiful. And I love it so very much. One of the most lovely poems I've ever read in my life.

I think so, too, but it's good this way, at least for me.

I've never liked So Cruel much, I usually skip it on the album.

And as for Acrobat: I know I may be opening a can of worms here, but I've never been overly excited by the thoughts of Acrobat being played live. Bono mumbling his way through yet another song? Thank you. There's just not much to sing here. I don't consider it to be a good live song - and apparently the band has been of the same opinion, since they rehearsed, but never played it.

But then again, I've never been too fond of The Fly live as well.

OK, shoot me.

:scratch:

I hated So Cruel the first time I heard it, but soon grew to love it. The song is like bitter molasses. It's slow and dark and bitter where it should be sweet. There's the Irish bodhran below the drums, the simple, repetitive piano notes, and the soft string section, all layered perfectly with Bono's sad tale of a relationship pulled and strained between caring love and carnal lust. Overall, it's a gorgeous song :up:

Was my favorite on achtung for awhile there. Its a singer's song I suppose.

Although I don't listen to it all that often, I do like So Cruel quite a bit actually, I especially enjoy that moment when Bono sings 'Between the horses of love and lust we are trampled underfoot' as I've always really like the orchastration that plays underneath it which emphasizes the drama of the line.

I think one of the reasons the band didn't really try to perform it on stage was because they felt that much of the songs success was down the studio production which elevated it above the norm and made it into something worthy of being on AB. Maybe they felt that without those embellishments there wouldn't be all that much of the song left.

Some of Bono's best, most twisted lyrics. :yes: I mean:

You put your lips to her lips
to stop the lie.

Or my favorite:

I'm only hanging on
To watch you go down,
<pause>
My love

I mean, damn, put a dagger through my heart!

One of my absolute favorites on Achtung. Brilliant lyrics, lovely atmosphere, and those vocals. :love:

Also, SC has been played live more than once:

· 1992-08-22 - Foxboro, Massachusetts - Foxboro Stadium
· 1992-09-09 - Pontiac, Michigan - Pontiac Silverdome
· 1992-09-15 - Tinley Park, Illinois - World Music Ampitheater

LUCKY!!

I'm only hangin' on to watch you go down... my love. :mac:

Between the horses of love and lust we are trampled... underfoot. :heart:

Damn, was Bono in top lyrical form or what!!! Excellent song!

it's a nice mood piece with some great singing
the intro is corny though
and the lyrics never really worked for me though there are some very good lines there

good song
not a favourite

One of Bono's finest lyrical and vocal performance, I think :drool:

Love the synths and piano too.

Back
Top Bottom