So Cruel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this song too! I think one of the best lines in any U2 song: I'm only hanging on to watch you go down, my love. My understanding is this song was written during Edge's divorce and it speaks volumes about what kind of marriage it was.

I just don't see what's so genius about these lyrics, most of the time they seem rather bland to me. On Achtung Baby alone I'd say that most of the other songs are way above it, lyric-wise. Also, I don't like the never-ending repetitive theme of the song, it's too long. But that's just me.

fuck bono's vocals on "so cruel" are so Good. and his best lyrics yet.

"Her skin is pale like gods only dove
Screams like an angel for your love
Then she makes you watch her from above
And you need her like a drug"

play it live u2. drop that crap elevation and play good songs. hehe

" I disappeared in you..
you disappeared from me ....
I gave you everything you ever wanted
It wasn´t what you wanted ...." :love::heart::heart::heart:
I don't mean to go off topic, but what is your avatar from? It reminds me of the WGRYWH video, but I know it's not from that. Whatever it is, it's hot.

Gotta agree with the sentiments about the lyrics, they're fantastic in this song, but yeah it has always been either "wow this song is great" or "uggghh almost six minutes of this" for me. It's my least favourite AB track, which is saying something considering how good it is.

I agree. (except for the crap elevation part) But I can think of a few songs it could replace. :wink:
It's his voice with those lyrics that just works in so many ways.
They should have released it with a really progressive video.
It would've made millions, maybe. But we'll never know. :sad:
I just love it that much. :drool:

Then there's Acrobat - Love is Blindness. It's almost too much.
more genuis songwriting.

Its amazing how divisive this song is around here, even if its not your cup of tea it fits in quite well with AB (song skipping on that album is a sin in my book), its simple and complex at the same time in certain ways, the lyrics seem quite obvious from Bono compared with most of his work, but deeper as with all of AB its hard edged poetry, I love the song as I love the whole album but its probably the vocal performance that sells it the most.

I don't mean to go off topic, but what is your avatar from? It reminds me of the WGRYWH video, but I know it's not from that. Whatever it is, it's hot.

I wish I knew where is this pic from ... Actually, I´ve seen many, many Bono´s pix but this one I saw for the first time in my life in PLEBA when Youvedonewhat requested some pix (05/03 - Pic Request Thread) and Gluey post this :drool: ?c.
and I really felt in love with it !
Take a look at this thread cause there´s another one in a different profile (Bonos is.:love:) and since then I´ve been also trying to find out where were they taken... Maybe Gluey knows....

Thanks Gluey :wave:

:up:
one of the best ever.
and if they worked at it, would be a killer live. no doubt.

:up:
one of the best ever.
and if they worked at it, would be a killer live. no doubt.

I agree. I really would like to see them try to work up a way to play it live, but I just don't think they would. I do think it features some of his best lyrics that he's ever written.

I love this song too! I think one of the best lines in any U2 song: I'm only hanging on to watch you go down, my love. My understanding is this song was written during Edge's divorce and it speaks volumes about what kind of marriage it was.

I agree... I've always thought that Edge's divorce had an influence in a way in all of AB album... and So cruel describes so well the end of love and the end of a couple...

I really love this song... it's so emotional...

I think its just as good as One myself and I never get tired of listening to it. Fantastic melody and lyrics that could put a dagger through anybodies heart.

I love the song. Great lyrics and vocal. It seems a lot of people think the music is boring and repetitive. I think it just builds up rather subtly. I love that little funky guitar that comes in towards the end. I don't think it would have made a good single though.

Back
Top Bottom