So After Listening through Zooropa again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
The only songs I like are Lemon and The Wanderer. This is probably one of their weakest albums. I was bored listening to it.

I think I will hide now.

Re: Re: So After Listening through Zooropa again!

LemonMelon said:

You'd better. :up: :wink:

Seriously, at least you like Lemon now too; we're making progress! :)

LOL. Well as I was listening to some other music I was trying to remember if Lemon was on Zooropa. Good song. The reast of the album is junk.

You don't like Stay or The First Time? Like I said on a previous thread, given what seem to be your tastes, I'm surprised you don't like them. What aspects of them do you dislike?

Re: Re: Re: So After Listening through Zooropa again!

Justin24 said:

LOL. Well as I was listening to some other music I was trying to remember if Lemon was on Zooropa. Good song. The reast of the album is junk.

You have a lot to learn, my friend. Zooropa is pure brilliance.

Re: Re: Re: So After Listening through Zooropa again!

Justin24 said:

Oh well. Everyone has their tastes. We all need to CoExIst, right? :wink:

Now, I'll let the other members turn this thread into an anti-HTDAAB/anti-new album-which-hasn't-even-come-out-yet thread.:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: So After Listening through Zooropa again!

bsp77 said:

You have a lot to learn, my friend. Zooropa is pure brilliance.

where is the Brilliance, the fact that they tried making a New Age rock album, which does not work?

Re: Re: Re: Re: So After Listening through Zooropa again!

LemonMelon said:

Oh well. Everyone has their tastes. We all need to CoExIst, right? :wink:

Now, I'll let the other members turn this thread into an anti-HTDAAB/anti-new album-which-hasn't-even-come-out-yet thread.:)

I hope it turns into a Zooropa appreciation thread instead...

Zooropa sounds to much like "POP" The First time was ok. Like LemonMelon said different tastes. What makes you all like this album so much?

I can't explain it. But it is the only U2 album where absolutely nothing else I have heard even compares to it. The title track, Lemon and Stay are among their best work ever.

I must say though that when it was first released, I ranked it as like #6 out of their 8 albums at the time. Now it is #4 out of 12 (inc. Passengers). So it grew on me very slowly.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So After Listening through Zooropa again!

annie_vox said:

I hope it turns into a Zooropa appreciation thread instead...

I think we already have one of those...

...I'll go dig it up. :|

Justin24 said:
Zooropa sounds to much like "POP"

Don't see that at all. Maybe only on a very surface level, as in they are both influenced by electronica (although very different versions of electronica).

I think it may be the Electronica part. I am not to fond of that music, but I will listen to it and give it another try.

Lemon and The Wanderer are the 2 stand out tracks for me :up:

I do think it's a majestical album though
I even think Babyface is absolute brilliance (how the music + production + lyrics all fit each other perfectly + the way it fits the overall theme of the album)

Zooropa has to be the most loved and hated U2 album... I'd like to know one thing: What was the general reaction of U2 fans when it came out? I'm really curious because I wasn't a U2 fan back then. I love the album but I don't know how I'd reacted if I listened to it for the first time in 93...

Justin24 said:
I think it may be the Electronica part. I am not to fond of that music, but I will listen to it and give it another try.

As I said, it is a grower.

Zooropa is more influenced by ambient, industrial and space rock.

Pop is more influenced by techno and trip-hop.

Please note I said influenced. I don't want to start a discussion about whether or not Pop is actually techno or trip-hop.

Justin24 said:
Zooropa sounds to much like "POP" The First time was ok. Like LemonMelon said different tastes. What makes you all like this album so much?

The reason I enjoy it is because of

A) It represents a time in my life that I loved.

B) It blew me away the first time I heard it and taught me never to be cynical about music, and expect the best, because you could be surprised.

C) Just how simply great the songs are; and they're so creative! Stay is one of the most moving songs I've ever heard, Zooropa is audio art, Lemon is a great dance tune with wonderful synthesizers, Some Days Are Better Than Other might have U2's best bass riff and an awesome solo by Edge (one of his best), and it's all so fun to listen to!

D) All of the above, times 10. (Because it's hard to express it through typing words)

Justin24 said:
the one song that I thought was really horrible was "Numb"

:shrug: It's a cool song, really. I wish there was more to it musically, but it's a great song, and better live (for some reason I like it better there). The ear tickling sound effects don't hurt either.

I'm slowly getting into the songs after Stay (other than the Wanderer which I've always loved), i dunno, eventually i will like them i guess (i used to hate Pop, but now i'm lovin it)

i LOVE Stay, Numb, Lemon

i went wandering...:drool:

I don't like the album, it's much better live (especially Dirty Day). I like Stay and The First Time, and Daddy's Gonna Pay is alright.

I still to this day believe that Lemon was ruined by the falsetto.

:struck by flying objects:

:hit over the head by MacPhisto:

:up: One of U2's finest albums, especially with Stay. :drool: Best slow U2 song ever.
Even The First Time is fantastic, lyrically and such.

There's more to this album than filler, folks. But I can definitely see why some people, especially some U2 fans, don't like it.

Ok so While on the train to go home I listened to it a 3rd time and I think I will never listen to it again. How can anyone call Zooropa Brilliant and a good album?? HTDMAAB is so much better.

Justin24 said:
Ok so While on the train to go home I listened to it a 3rd time and I think I will never listen to it again. How can anyone call Zooropa Brilliant and a good album?? HTDMAAB is so much better.

Dismantle is one word. HTDAAB.

I can see where people see the brilliance, but I just don't enjoy it. Certainly it is a deep album that can be brilliant if appreciated.

:hoping I can avoid the backlash of bashing Lemon:

I didnt care for it until i heard it blazed. Then i opened up to it and started to understand it. what a crazy place that album is. Awesome!!

It is probably a little overated and I agree that it is the most loved and hated album. I love most of the songs but some of them I just can't get into. The First Time for instance. I'm not sure why some people love this song so much. Maybe one of those people can explain that. I admit that the first few times I listened to it I would skip the second half. Lemon, Stay and Zooropa were always on repeat. The Wanderer was another that went over my head. I was waiting for the band to join in at some point. But I must say Lemon and Zooropa really are works of art.

The First Time = Holy Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit)

Where's the love, people?

I've got a lover... - Holy Spirit
I've got a brother... - Jesus
My father.. - God

And bla bla bla, the Kingdom of Heaven.

I'm usually not one for lyrics, but the lyrics for this song are amazing. Just listen to the verse about Jesus! It's exactly what you feel, if you believe that is...
Maybe this argument is left better for another subforum. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom