So After Listening through Zooropa again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TFT .... mmm lemme see

Great Melody , Great Chords , Great Lyrics , It's a big shame all those 7 seven tunes had a chance , and First time didn't on ZOOTV , at least not a full one .... Guess they couldn't find space for another acoustic song , since they already that pretty good set , Angel , Stay and Satellite ....

Talking of which , it's a funny thing , not that I don't enjoy live Zooropa songs , I do .... Stay , Lemon , Numb , but I kinda felt they put the show a bit down , talkin bout Sydney ..... I still don't appreciate the fact they kicked out on the only live recording of the tour , Bad , Desire and Ultra Violet in order of promoting Zooropa . I still wonder today how would've they sounded on that show , on that video

Justin24 said:
The only songs I like are Lemon and The Wanderer. This is probably one of their weakest albums. I was bored listening to it.

I think I will hide now.

for me this is U2's worst album. I love Stay though

It has grown on me a lot since I first heard it, I'd rate 3 albums ahead of it.

Wish they had something stronger than Daddy's gonna pay... and Some days in the middle. (Slow dancing? HMTMKMKM?)

Justin24, just out of curiosity..when did you first start listening to U2, and what was the first U2 album you purchased?

It's quite the experimental album. Some tracks worked, some didn't so much.
Lemon really did it for it for me. In the same way that A Day In The Life (Beatles) was really 2 songs half-finished then joined together in a cool way. "Midnight is where the day begins"... "She wore lemon"... totally unrelated. It was interesting in the context of modern media - (if you understand what I'm saying) in that we are now in the habit of multimedia surfing from one minute to the next, so "art" per say is quite randomised - which is also true of this crazy all-over-the-place album. It's an oddly enjoyable album if you are in the mood.

Zooropa is a little masterpeice!

To a normal radio listner who likes Shakira, Puff Daddy, Pussycat Dolls, Sean Paul, Busta Rhymes...... Zooropa is to deep for them. They need soulless music like them I wrote above. I'm so tired of people saying that U2 were best in the 80's with Joshua Tree..... Joshua Tree one of their most radiofreindly albums, that's why people who like the artists I wrote above like that album so much.
U2 are at their best when they are deep.

Zooropa, Uf and AB is their most intressting albums.

Peterrrrr said:
Zooropa is a little masterpeice!

To a normal radio listner who likes Shakira, Puff Daddy, Pussycat Dolls, Sean Paul, Busta Rhymes...... Zooropa is to deep for them. They need soulless music like them I wrote above. I'm so tired of people saying that U2 were best in the 80's with Joshua Tree..... Joshua Tree one of their most radiofreindly albums, that's why people who like the artists I wrote above like that album so much.
U2 are at their best when they are deep.

Zooropa, Uf and AB is their most intressting albums.

Joshua Tree is my favorite album, and I don't like any of the other musicians you listed. I don't see how appreciating JT makes you a radio-friendly listener.

You're saying that RTSS, RHMT, OTH, and MOTD are "soulless?" Because it was popular, it was radiofriendly? You probably didn't like Vertigo or Beautiful Day either, most likely because they were hits.

J_NP said:
TFT .... mmm lemme see

Great Melody , Great Chords , Great Lyrics , It's a big shame all those 7 seven tunes had a chance , and First time didn't on ZOOTV , at least not a full one .... Guess they couldn't find space for another acoustic song , since they already that pretty good set , Angel , Stay and Satellite ....

Talking of which , it's a funny thing , not that I don't enjoy live Zooropa songs , I do .... Stay , Lemon , Numb , but I kinda felt they put the show a bit down , talkin bout Sydney ..... I still don't appreciate the fact they kicked out on the only live recording of the tour , Bad , Desire and Ultra Violet in order of promoting Zooropa . I still wonder today how would've they sounded on that show , on that video

I didn't care for Satellite, they should have replaced it with The First Time.

phillyfan26 said:

Joshua Tree is my favorite album, and I don't like any of the other musicians you listed. I don't see how appreciating JT makes you a radio-friendly listener.

You're saying that RTSS, RHMT, OTH, and MOTD are "soulless?" Because it was popular, it was radiofriendly? You probably didn't like Vertigo or Beautiful Day either, most likely because they were hits.

You missunderstand me, I didnt say the Joshua Tree was soulless, U2 are deep and got soul but Joshua Tree was more radiofreindely then Boy,October,War and UF. And because of that th readio people like it more. I like Joshua Tree, but I think that UF and AB are much better ander deeper. And Vertigo and BD got soul also. :)

ZOOROPA was the shit...amazing songs on that record...

we should start a thread with all the songs Bono sings "Dream Out Loud" in... I love that phrase..

"Dream out Loud, at high volume...that's what we do for a living! Lucky bastards // "

Re: Re: Re: Re: So After Listening through Zooropa again!

bsp77 said:

You have a lot to learn, my friend. Zooropa is pure brilliance.

^ couldn't agree more.

Zooropa :up: love it (my fav bubble game soundtrack)
Babyface, Numb, Lemon, Stay, Daddys Gonna Pay, Some Days
The First Time, Dirty Day :up:

The Wanderer :down: :reject:

I think I really love this album because I got into U2 when Zooropa came out. Then I back tracked to Achtung.

I am also a huge fan of Pop. I love their newer stuff too although I'm gettig tired of Bomb but, there is just something about Zooropa, it's a masterpiece and AB is pure genius. IMO.

Last edited:
Beaten into second place only by Achtung Baby. Zooropa is a truly brilliant album, but I can definitely see why it's not liked. It's so different sonically, and is very eclectic in its styles. It's also a definite grower, one that takes time.

Zooropa, Lemon, Stay, and The First Time would all be on my 'best of', while Numb, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and Some Days pushed U2 to a different level. Only let down slightly by the last two tracks; Dirty Day is quite ordinary and never really goes anywhere special, while the Wanderer, in spite of some excellent lyrics, has never really captured my imagination either. Still, overall it has a brilliant sense of being a complete piece (in spite of the eclecticism) that becomes more than the sum of its parts on complete listens.

Peterrrrr said:
'm so tired of people saying that U2 were best in the 80's with Joshua Tree..... Joshua Tree one of their most radiofreindly albums, that's why people who like the artists I wrote above like that album so much.

And I'm tired of nineties fans saying Achtung Baby was the best and that ZooTV rules all, but I don't use that as ammunition against the damn album. I hate all of the artists you listed and I do not see how they are remotely similar to The Joshua Tree, an album of sweeping landscapes and rich atmosphere that was certainly unlike anything else released at the time. To call it radio-friendly is ridiculous. Sure, ISHFWILF and WOWY are all over classic radio now, but if you check out other releases from 1987, you'll see the album didn't sound like the radio-friendly music of the time. U2 certainly weren't making music to get on to the radio. You can't tell me a song with an intro as long as Streets' is radio-friendly; nor are such sombre songs as MOTD and RTSS or bleak ones as Exit, or songs like WOWY that don't burst into a big solo and reach a soaring conclusion but instead fade out.

If you can't appreciate The Joshua Tree and are deaf enough to write it off as radio-friendly, it's your loss.

Zooropa comes from another space and time, totally unique and is a masterpiece in my opinion. I don't see the similarity with Pop myself.
When it first came out I was a tad disappointed but it has grown and grown on me and is now my joint 3rf fave U2 album. Wanderer, Stay and lemon are three of U2's best ever songs. Numb and First time aren't far behind.
It is just as great as my favourite non U2 album of all time, david Bowie's Low.

Axver said:

And I'm tired of nineties fans saying Achtung Baby was the best and that ZooTV rules all, but I don't use that as ammunition against the damn album. I hate all of the artists you listed and I do not see how they are remotely similar to The Joshua Tree, an album of sweeping landscapes and rich atmosphere that was certainly unlike anything else released at the time. To call it radio-friendly is ridiculous. Sure, ISHFWILF and WOWY are all over classic radio now, but if you check out other releases from 1987, you'll see the album didn't sound like the radio-friendly music of the time. U2 certainly weren't making music to get on to the radio. You can't tell me a song with an intro as long as Streets' is radio-friendly; nor are such sombre songs as MOTD and RTSS or bleak ones as Exit, or songs like WOWY that don't burst into a big solo and reach a soaring conclusion but instead fade out.

If you can't appreciate The Joshua Tree and are deaf enough to write it off as radio-friendly, it's your loss.

agreed, The Joshua Tree sounded like nothing that was around at the time. WOWY may sound commercial now, but at the time it was extremely un-radio friendly and was a very risky single to launch the album with, but that risk paid off!!!!
Although Achtung Baby, is my favourite album, it was TJT and TUF that got me into U2 to begin with and I love them just as much today.

Oh look, another Zooropa thread....there's a surprise.

annie_vox said:
What was the general reaction of U2 fans when it came out?

I'll tell you what my reaction was: I hated it. In fact, I hated it so much I threw it in the trash after a week of trying to listen to it. EVERYONE I knew considered it to be the beginning of the end for U2. Granted, we were wrong about the band as whole, they're certainly not done. But Zooropa remains the only U2 album that people I know actually laugh out loud at the mention of it. Such an embarrassing moment for this band.

Love the song - GREAT song - and thanks to the Boston DVD I love the acoustic version of Stay, but otherwise, utter garbage. The only other album I've ever thrown away was Van Halen 3. I've been a rabid Van Halen fan since 1978 but Van Halen with Gary Cherone was every bit as sucky as Zooropa was for U2.

No one has yet attacked me for saying Lemon was a trainwreck? Wow. Really, wow. I figured people would be up in arms.

I agree 100% with Axver about Joshua Tree never being made for the radio. (Although I don't agree with him about Achtung or ZooTV :wink:)

That may be, but anytime someone says "too accessible/U2 want this to be a hit too much/radio friendly/charts winning singles" about the last two albums, I just think "go listen to the first 4 U2 albums, then JT and tell me they didn't KNOW they had a hit album on their hands."

phillyfan26 said:
No one has yet attacked me for saying Lemon was a trainwreck? Wow. Really, wow. I figured people would be up in arms.

I agree 100% with Axver about Joshua Tree never being made for the radio. (Although I don't agree with him about Achtung or ZooTV :wink:)

Engarde!!
I attack you for that statement about my beloved lemon!!

:shocked:

well, its better late than never :wink:

An Cat Gav said:

Engarde!!
I attack you for that statement about my beloved lemon!!

:shocked:

well, its better late than never :wink:

:reject: Better never at all.

I just feel like the falsetto ruined a possibly good song. Killed it. Falsetto isn't meant to be used like that.

The falsetto is brilliant, the way he switches it on and off during " and I feel" "like I'm drifting drifting drifting from the shore".

Zooropa demands alot more from the fan than any other record, I'll give the detractors that. I still feel Numb is the worst single they've ever turned out.

But even the throwaways, like Some Days, contain moments of brilliance and beauty in the guitar - can that be said of the lesser lights on Bomb?

It's their best albums lyrics-wise, and it's my personal favourite. I hated it once, but then I discovered it, one song at a time. Don't worry, you'll love it one fine day :D

nothing compares to Wanderer live...what an Incredible song...but Zooropa is a kick ass album...made just at time//

Zooropa is definitely a great album. The songs Zooropa and Stay are amazing, and there are no songs on the album that I dislike. I also do not really think Zooropa sounds like Pop (or more properly, Pop sounds like Zooropa). The main similarity to me is that they are both very creative and show U2's versatility.

Back
Top Bottom