SNL: Anybody Going to Try to Get Tix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GG_The_Fly

The Fly
Quote from NBC.Com:

"For stand-by tickets, arrive no later than 7:00am on the morning of the taping under the "NBC Studios" marquee on the 50th St. side of 30 Rockefeller Plaza. You may choose a stand-by ticket for either the 8:00pm dress rehearsal or the 11:30pm live show. Only one ticket will be issued per person. Please note that a stand-by ticket does not guarantee admission."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anybody planning on going to try to get standby tickets (or had success doing so in the past)??

I am seriously considering it. . . but have no idea of whether or not it's possible (i.e., # of tix available standby).

kawai17 said:
Man i hope they dont screw up Bono's voicetrack :wink:

:lol: Fortunately, he's not the lip-synching type, no need to worry.

Oh and I'm told it's impossible to get stand by tickets as I've pondered this little task myself...

one4u2 said:
Fortunately, he's not the lip-synching type, no need to worry.

Maybe not in concert, but I thought he often does for televison performances...? Although he certainly wasn't lip-synching during their first SNL performance, so you're right; we shouldn't worry too much.

From my experience....
They give you a choice initially of getting a ticket for the dress rehearsal or for the actual show. When I went, I took my chance and tried for the live show. I had the 2nd standby ticket overall, and still didn't get in. It turned out for the best, because the endless hours we waited in that lobby, we ended up meeting about 75% of the cast (and this was during the Hartman/Farley/Sandler/Myers era in 1993!). Miranda Richardson hosted that week with Soul Asylum (Who?). Your chances are better of getting in to the rehearsal, but there may be a little less excitement because it's not the actual show....of course it is U2!

one4u2 said:

:lol: Fortunately, he's not the lip-synching type, no need to worry.

Oh and I'm told it's impossible to get stand by tickets as I've pondered this little task myself...

How do you know??

Re: Lip-Synching - Although Bono won't use a voice track- i wonder if there's a chance the band might a la the Top of the Pops performance. . . :sad:

I went down there for their last appearance and tried to get in. The security guy told me it was one of the longest stand by lines he'd ever seen and at the end of the night I don't think anyone got in for either show. I think shows like this are a total case of who you know.

I'm trying to get tickets through work but I've been told it's going to be next to impossible. Still, I'm hoping that I know either way cause I'm going to have to buy a ticket to NY if I get them (fingers crossed).

bratty_cat said:
I'm trying to get tickets through work but I've been told it's going to be next to impossible. Still, I'm hoping that I know either way cause I'm going to have to buy a ticket to NY if I get them (fingers crossed).

And if you get 2 tixs and come here to NY, why, I'd offer to show you around our fine city AND accompany you to the show.
Just an offer on the table.
Nothing more. :D

i have a friend who's father is a big wig for NBC Sports... she said that even he only gets 4 tickets to give away per season. unless you know someone directly involved with the band, the guest host, or the cast and crew of SNL, your odds are less than 1% of getting tickets, or so i've been told.

Rafiennes said:

And if you get 2 tixs and come here to NY, why, I'd offer to show you around our fine city AND accompany you to the show.
Just an offer on the table.
Nothing more. :D

Ditto :wink:

I've done stand-by for SNL 13 times since the spring of 2003, and I got into the dress rehearsals every time. Ever since spring 2003, a lot more of stand-by have been getting in for most of the dress and live shows than in previous years. You still have a way better chance of getting into the dress rehearsal than the live show though. I actually prefer the dress rehearsal because they do more sketches than in the live show. They'll do 12 or 13 sketches in dress, then 7 to 10 will make it to the live show. I've seen a lot of great sketches get cut. I recently did stand-by for the Queen Latifah episode in October. I was #6 on line and got #4 for the dress rehearsal, and 44 got in for dress and 51 for the live show. That was one of the rare times that more off stand-by got in for the live show than the dress rehearsal. I used to get on line between 10 and midnight Friday night, but I moved from NJ to Chicago over the summer, so when I was in NY in October, I got on line at 2:45 Friday afternoon. I know it sounds nuts, but I've made a lot of friends on the stand-by line, and I've met the whole SNL cast, so it actually is pretty fun, and the time goes by faster than you would think. You used to be able to take one 2 hour break off the line, and other little breaks, but the rules recently got stricter. You can just take little breaks now to use a bathroom or get food.

Last edited:
hey, thanks, Eric for the detailed report.

I think I'll just wait around for the rehearshal & live show.

Oh, would you remember when the musical guests came in for the rehearshal & live shows? Just trying to strategize my time effectively .

Eric G said:
I've done stand-by for SNL 13 times since the spring of 2003, and I got into the dress rehearsals every time. Ever since spring 2003, a lot more of stand-by have been getting in for most of the dress and live shows than in previous years. You still have a way better chance of getting into the dress rehearsal than the live show though. I actually prefer the dress rehearsal because they do more sketches than in the live show. They'll do 12 or 13 sketches in dress, then 7 to 10 will make it to the live show. I've seen a lot of great sketches get cut. I recently did stand-by for the Queen Latifah episode in October. I was #6 on line and got #4 for the dress rehearsal, and 44 got in for dress and 51 for the live show. That was one of the rare times that more off stand-by got in for the live show than the dress rehearsal. I used to get on line between 10 and midnight Friday night, but I moved from NJ to Chicago over the summer, so when I was in NY in October, I got on line at 2:45 Friday afternoon. I know it sounds nuts, but I've made a lot of friends on the stand-by line, and I've met the whole SNL cast, so it actually is pretty fun, and the time goes by faster than you would think. You used to be able to take one 2 hour break off the line, and other little breaks, but the rules recently got stricter. You can just take little breaks now to use a bathroom or get food.

:scratch: you got online for standby tickets that aren't given out until early saturday morning on the friday night before?

dazzledbythelight, I've never seen the musical guests outside of the show, and I've never heard of any of the stand-by regulars meeting the musical guests. The SNL cast usually comes down from rehearsing the show around 9 or 10 Friday night, and sometimes you'll see the host too. I saw Queen Latifah the last time I did stand-by. I've never waited around on Saturday nights after the live show since I always had to catch a train after the dress rehearsal, but fans line up on the 49th Street side of the building I think, and the cast will come down and sign things and take pictures. You could e-mail Jamie Klien at Snljamie0518@aol.com. Jamie and her husband are always at the front of the stand-by line, and they keep order on the line. Her husband has been doing stand-by since 1975, so they truly are the experts on everything.

And "Headache in a Suitcase", yeah, you have to get on line Friday night if you want a decent chance at getting into the show. Occasionally people who show up the last few hours before 7 AM get into the dress rehearsal, but it's rare.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with my friend who actually has connections with the show and he basically told me that this was probably the one show of the year that was going to be next to impossible to get in to. Everybody on the show (cast & crew) has used up their comp tickets (a rarety he claims) and people are calling left and right to try and get in.

I think I'll sit this one out. But I'll dress up as Bono at home to be a total geeky fan.

Rafiennes said:
Just got off the phone with my friend who actually has connections with the show and he basically told me that this was probably the one show of the year that was going to be next to impossible to get in to. Everybody on the show (cast & crew) has used up their comp tickets (a rarety he claims) and people are calling left and right to try and get in.

I think I'll sit this one out. But I'll dress up as Bono at home to be a total geeky fan.

That totally sucks. . . the upside of not going to SNL is that i don't have to sit through currently unbarable skits. Now if only NBC came in more clearly on my cable. . .

Back
Top Bottom