Smashing pumpkins are cooler than U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay, they sort of sucked by the time they released Kokomo, but albums such as Pet Sounds, Sunflower, Holland, Surf's Up contain extreme beauty

not even U2 can make me feel as good as the Beach Boys managed to do

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
okay, they sort of sucked by the time they released Kokomo, but albums such as Pet Sounds, Sunflower, Holland, Surf's Up contain extreme beauty

not even U2 can make me feel as good as the Beach Boys managed to do

Not knocking them, early Beach Boys were very good of course (if a bit before my time). Anyway the late 80's model was a bunch of imposters, wasn't it?

well, they were before my time too
smile.gif

late 80's Beach Boys were without Brian Wilson
so I guess you could call them a bunch of imposters

------------------
Salome

the Smashing Pumpkins are incredible

Billy is one of the most powerful and truthful writers I've ever encountered. some of his songs hurt so bad though, I'd like to reach out and help him
silly me

I'd still take U2 over them though, because U2 has the hope.

that being said, I do believe SP are my second faves. thanks MIB
smile.gif

------------------
In the night of death, hope sees a star and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing.
~Robert Ingersoll

yes, they are my 2nd favorite band also, as I think you can tell from this thread, I love Billy's honesty and sincerity, and it's interesting, so far what I've heard from his new band (Zwan) on the live bootlegs, these songs sound more optimistic and hopeful, but Billy has always said he likes to try and make tragedy look beautiful, so we will see, they still haven't really recorded any songs

---------
"We can look you in the eye and talk to you about life, heart, love, rock 'n' roll, whatever, but we do not have the moral authority to tell people how to vote or what to do to their bodies. We're just a rock band."
-Billy Corgan

Yeah, Pumpkins are my second fave, too....easily...

but my current love interest says I can play ANYONE but them....

blargh...I think I'll end it now that I think about that...

(Okay, ha ha, that was a joke...I just remembered he comes here from time to time...)

Anyways, did anyone ever see the Pumpkins play at the Dominion Theatre in London in January 2000? Absolutely amazing - blew the roof off the house! (and it only held a few hundred people) After U2, easily the best live concert I've ever seen!

That said, I saw them play a big arena in Winnipeg two years before that and well, let's just say they weren't that great live for some reason....it dragged on and on and on and on...

What does everyone else think of them live?

their shows tended to be very different from night to night, depending on the mood of the band (mainly Corgan), at least, this is what I gather from the various bootlegs and reviews I have heard or read; plus, they played most of their songs on tour, during their final tour they played about 65 different songs and altered their setlists quite a bit, so maybe the show you saw was off, I guess that's what makes U2 so unreal -- they never have "off" nights

so how are you julie? it's been a while... get anything exciting for xmas?
wink.gif

----------
"I have a hard time thinking of men trying to sing my songs, because I think my perspective is definitely feminine."
-Billy Corgan

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
AC/DC and the Beach Boys
just because you don't "get them" doesn't mean they're bad

------------------
Salome

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:
That said, I saw them play a big arena in Winnipeg two years before that and well, let's just say they weren't that great live for some reason....it dragged on and on and on and on...

What does everyone else think of them live?

I totally agree Julie!!! The Pumkins are by FAR my favourite band next to U2. Back in the 90's it was really hard for me to decide bw the two bands as to who were my fave, but they easily solved that when they *ahem* gave up. U2 will never give up.

As for them live... like I said, I totally agree with Julie. I saw them twice. Once at Lollapalooza and once on their own tour. Both times I was completely blown away, but both times they just turned into a jam session for the last half, playing a 45 min. long song. Not entirely my cup of tea, but still brilliant none the less. I guess it all comes down to what you prefer to see at a live show. An amazingly creative and imaginative band. With each album bringing something new to their audiences, something unique. In a way - reinventing themselves with every new album. If they were still around, I believe they'd most certainly be U2's biggest competitor.

------------------
I disappeared in you
You disappeared from me
I gave you everything you ever wanted,
It wasn't what you wanted

Originally posted by Saracene:
My problem with Pumpkins is the same I have with Radiohead - both bands have very good songs, but the lead singers freaking ruin most of them with their whiny vocals that grate on my nerves.

Whiny vocals? Billy Corgan I might agree with you on. But Thom Yorke's vocals don't strike me as whiny. Or if they are, it's not a problem for me because it's usually a prelude to his wonderful falsetto.

Thom Yorke is more unhappy child watching a fireworks display than petulant adolescent.

Would've loved to have went to see them live, but tragically a girl got killed at a crush in their gig at the Point, they never came back.

They do rock though, and my sis and her BF are gone on some round the world trip, left all their CDs, I've only started really listenin to them now, and I like em alot!

The Smashing Pumpkins are an excellent band and are much better than Radiohead but they are not cooler than U2.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

MY YOUNGER BROTHER JUST STARTED TO LISTEN TO THE SMASHING PUMPKINS AND NOW LIKE 2 3 MONTHS HAVE PASSED AND HE THINKS HES A FAN HE GOT IN 3 MONTS ALL THEIR CDS AND SINGLES AND VINALS AND POSTERS AND SHIRTS. ME I DONT LIKE THEM AND THEY BROKE UP AND NOW BILLY HAS MADE A NEW BAND CALLED ZWAN MY BROTHER ALSO SAW THEM LAST MONTH OR SO AT THE GLASS HOUSE(ZWAN) NOTE ME AND MY BROTHER ARGUE ON WHO IS A BIG,ER FAN OF THE BANDS THEY LIKE I LIKE U2 AND YES I SOMETIMES SAY THAT HIS BAND SUCKS BLA BLA AND HE SAYS THE SAME TO ME BLA BLA.. BUT I BACK IT UP I SAY DUDE IVE BEEN A FAN FOR LIKE 7 YESRA AND YOU AND HE SHUTS UP. ANY WAYS I DONT LIEK WHO THE BILLY FROM SP SOUNDS AND MOST OF THEIR WORK IS JUST JAMING ON THE GUITAR WHICH TRUST ME CAN GET VERY BORING I HATE RADIOHEAD AND SMASHING PUMKINS.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

um, no, most of their work is not "just jamming on the guitar," that a ridiculous statement to make about the Smashing Pumpkins, you obvioulsy don't know much about their music

and your ALL CAPS WRITING is excessively annoying to the average reader, please refrain from using this technique, thank you

. im only dissing smashing pumkins not you.

------------------

[This message has been edited by shaun vox (edited 12-30-2001).]

------------------

[This message has been edited by shaun vox (edited 12-30-2001).]

Before my crazy obsession began with u2 four years ago....I was crazily obsessed with the pumpkins. The pumpkins were my introduction to the beautiful madness of rock n roll...and even though I find the mood of their songs a bit dark now, I still love their music...and there will always be a special place in my heart for them.

smashing pumpkins this

i got their greatest hits cd over christmas. it tasted good.

------------------
-death bear

Back
Top Bottom