Slow Song Leaks -- Eleborate Plants by the Band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam3000

Acrobat
Is it just me or do these slow song leaks feel like elaborate plants, share-safe teasers by the band?

Here are my questions:

1. If fans went to the trouble to stand outside studios and apartments, then why are only 30 second and 1 minute 30 second clips showing up online? Shouldn't we be hearing a full song or two coming out of those windows?

2. Where is the large amount of "interference" coming from on these clips? The wind and muffled music made sense on ABOY, but the crashing waves and constant conversation seem a bit too much on VERTIGO. Were they holding the recorder a foot away from the waves when they were recording? Could they not keep quiet while they recorded? Did the recorders say to themselves "we recorded new U2 songs from their window, let's put that 1 minute 30 second clip we were talking through on the internet".

This is my perspective on the situation and why these clips are released by the band:

1. Increase Fan Excitement/Decrease Expectation: When they released the clips from ATYCLB in 2000, people created in their minds a perception of the songs. Then when they finally heard the new album they were disappointed the album didn't match the image of the songs they had in their mind. With the release of these "dirty clips", you only get a glimpse of their new album, not even a peek. The songs are shrowded in mystery, which still gives you the excitement, but helps to decrease expectations for the final album.

2. The Missing Album: U2 swore up and down that their new album "might be" lost or stolen yet nothing appeared online. Releasing short clips lends validity to their claims that the album is being leaked and also validates all that free press they got over the missing album.

3. Happy Fans/Happy Record Company: Fans want to hear the new U2 record (ok 50/50 want to hear it). To stem the tide of illegal downloads they release these short "dirty clips" to build fan excitement, but still keep their songs from being duplicated and stolen. Fans are happy because they hear new songs and the Record Company is happy because their product is guarded from identical illegal duplication and distribution.

What do you guys think about these rough clips: BAND PLANTS or FAN SNAGS?

Let me know which one and why. Cool. Thanks.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i think you're on to something there, son

-oliver stone.

:lol: yeah, maybe it's a conspiracy theory. I've got two choices: start screaming "it's awesome! it's awesome!" over and over again in the posts or I can try and determine when we might hear another song clip. If it's U2 releasing the clips, then maybe another three to four weeks.

Anyways, just some fun stuff to thing about. Nothing malicious. If this stuff is true, then credit to the band for such a clever marketing method.

u2popmofo said:
I have another theory for ya,

adam3000 = Michael Moore

:wink:

You've got me all wrong there. I'm a Bush guy.

Geez. I thought we'd get some good dialoge about this, not label me a conspiracy huckster.

Does no one believe there is a possiblity U2 set this up as a clever marketing "strategery" instead of releasing boring 30 second "clean clips" of all their songs? :hyper: :happy:

I'm with ya buddy. I'm not totally convinced but I do have some suspicions that it is a way of hyping us up, I mean its working isn't it!

brownda

adam3000, very interesting theory and definitely plausible. After all, if you were making a clandestine recording outside someone's window, wouldn't you have the good sense to shut up while you were doing it (unless, the people talking were standing next to the ones recording).

I'm still skeptical about that 'stolen' cd, especially cause, although it generated a ton of press, it basically went away with no further mention from the band (or the police in Nice). I checked u2.com today and they have a 'more news as it comes' type message under the original stolen cd story but no follow up was ever posted.

Well, if the band wants to build excitement, they have succeeded in proving their fans will get happy about anything -- fans care SO MUCH they are willing to hang onto short morsals of sound clips like they are the only glass of water they've ever had.

While I don't agree with the assertion that these snippets are "plants" because fansites have provided them and I've not heard anything in the grapevine to believe otherwise - it is good for the band that the album did not leak onto the Internet as previously feared.

if this whole theory is true then they reap the benefit of both worlds ... their album is safe and protected for final sale in november, yet they get all this increased fan speculation (i.e. hype) because the "dirty clips" are full of interference and not entirely clear what the songs are like

Fan snags.

1) ATYCLB songs were not leaked, snippets here were brought by a member of this forum. (though some heard all of the album very shortly before the release on the internet)

2) Lost or stolen album theory still stands. Nothing came online because it was really lost, or whoever took the CD doesn't know internet enough to post it, or they were scared off by the response and reported French police activity and will not share it.

3) Fans recorded these clips, it's not like it was up on U2's site. Why would U2 put out such bad quality snippets - not to mention how they jumped up when Salome outtakes were stolen or when ES demo was played, or when Discotheque got on the radio too early. This is a band that does NOT leak its material, and they most certainly don't approve anything out too early.

As for the first two points

1) They recorded the music, so they must have been somewhat close to the house. It is likely they were afraid they'd get caught by U2's crew/security and they quit recording.

2) As fans, they were excited about the music, so of couse they talk about it during the recording.

BTW, you can see what they were saying in the thread "alternate take on spanish mumbling".

Last edited:
didn't these guys say they had 8 songs? why are they playing God and letting them out one by one? F that! leak more!

I have no idea whether any of this was planned or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. I work in a marketing related field, and the techniques used in marketing these days are more and more subtle and unique. We often use the term "viral marketing" - which means spreading the word through word-of-mouth, rather then direct, traditional advertising - and not even necessarily paying people to do this. Rather, you get a sample of something in the hands of someone to whom it would really appeal, and let them advertise for you. U2 are smart guys - wouldn't surprise me one bit if at least parts of recent events were planned.

u2grace said:
I have no idea whether any of this was planned or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. I work in a marketing related field, and the techniques used in marketing these days are more and more subtle and unique. We often use the term "viral marketing" - which means spreading the word through word-of-mouth, rather then direct, traditional advertising - and not even necessarily paying people to do this. Rather, you get a sample of something in the hands of someone to whom it would really appeal, and let them advertise for you. U2 are smart guys - wouldn't surprise me one bit if at least parts of recent events were planned.
Thank you, u2grace. After a year of guerilla marketing for films like "the Passion" and the Michael Moore movie, U2 could be using the fervent fan community to fan the flames of music and lyrical speculation and produce hype. I'm not saying it's true. Just that it's a possibility. Boyakasha!

IMO, the two clips we heard were actually recorded by fans.

honestly, if you had a tape recorder or video camera and you heard a new U2 song, would your first thought be to not make a peep, so that you can share it online? these guys probably already realized that the audio wouldn't be all that great, topped with the obvious excitement they were going through, knowing not only that they were hearing a new U2 song, but that the members of the band were nearby.

this definitely isn't a publicity stunt like the "lost CD story."

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Oh, I thought that the "Vertigo" song we heard was the Spanish Remix version by that Lee remixer dude. My bad. It's just a bad recording? Wow, I've been rocking all morning!!

Oh Yeah! More Spanish Overdub!!!!!!!

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Oh, I thought that the "Vertigo" song we heard was the Spanish Remix version by that Lee remixer dude. My bad. It's just a bad recording? Wow, I've been rocking all morning!!

LOL!

where's Ricky Martin?

McCormick - There?s some powerful disinformation going on there ? probably coming from them!

According to Neil McCormick (sp), there is a lot of disinformation out there about the album. It's not too far off to say that these "dirty clips" could be a type of misinformation as well.

bratty_cat said:
adam3000, exactly

I love all of the conspiracy theories, keeps me busy while I wait for the official single/album release!

exactly, finally someone who gets it! What was the whole ZooTV Tour ... interference. It's fun to think about anyways. Takes up the time between new news posts.

Everything You Know is Wrong...

This is kind of related ... I heard a quote from Spielberg that said while you are making a movie, whenever some report asks details about the movie, give false information, lie.

Hey, and wasn't "The Hype" one of U2's early names or a name they were considering?

Back
Top Bottom