Slow day, how about a quiz?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowlock

Refugee
The U2 Discography quiz.

Bonus points if you can name the album or single that the song in question came from as well as the year it was released.

1. Name the only song released only as B-Sides (separately) in both live & studio versions.
2. Including remixes & live versions, how many times has The Fly been officially released?
3. Name the only U2-written instrumental performed live on an official release
4. Name the tracks appearing on official U2 releases that were not performed by U2 (or Passengers).
5. What are the U2 officially released tracks where the lead vocals are not performed by a member of U2.
6. What’s the longest track on a U2 release?
7. Name the two songs U2 allegedly wrote for Frank Sinatra
8. What were the two songs U2 released as singles that were, strictly speaking, remix versions instead of the studio versions?
9. Name the song that was released as a single in both studio and live versions
10. Name the songs that were released as singles in one country only

Good questions!!
Haven't got time to try and answer them all, but number 9 must be I Will follow?
10 must be One Tree Hill-NZ and In God's Country in the US. Lemon was released as a remix single somewhere, was it Japan? But maybe it was in more than one country.

8. What were the two songs U2 released as singles that were, strictly speaking, remix versions instead of the studio versions?

Even better than the real thing and Electrical storm ?

An Cat Gav said:
Good questions!!
Haven't got time to try and answer them all, but number 9 must be I Will follow?
10 must be One Tree Hill-NZ and In God's Country in the US. Lemon was released as a remix single somewhere, was it Japan? But maybe it was in more than one country.

Yeah, I Will Follow was a studio single and then a live one, I think twice (US and the Netherlands).

As for One Tree Hill, it was released in New Zealand and Australia. I think just Australia got Lemon as a proper single.

Now, let's give this a try, though it's bloody late and I'm tired, so I don't know how well I'll go.

1. Touch was 11 O'clock Tick Tock's b-side in May 1980 and I'm pretty damn sure it turned up as a live b-side somewhere, probably from that 6 March 1981, Boston gig.
2. Fucked if I know. Single version, Lounge Fly, Elevation Boston, Vertigo Chicago gives me four, but I don't keep track of remixes.
3. Things To Make And Do. It's the only instrumental U2 has ever played live.
4. Freedom For My People, Star Spangled Banner.
5. The Wanderer. The 1997 version of Slow Dancing with Willie Nelson. Ito Okashi if it counts.
6. Lemon for studio releases, Bad for live ones (I don't think there's an officially released 40 that surpasses an officially released Bad, though 40 does hold the record for longest live song ever).
7. Trip Through Your Wires, Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad.
8. Mofo for sure. The primary version of Electrical Storm used on radio was the William Orbit Mix, so that'd count too, though another edition had the original mix.
9. I Will Follow as mentioned above. Not sure if Please counts, as its live release is sometimes referred to as the Popheart EP, not as a single.
10. 40 in Germany. Not sure about In God's Country - I have no idea if it had a Canadian release too or was just a US one. Lemon in Australia. I think U2:3, Another Day, and 11 O'clock Tick Tock were just in Ireland, though they might have subsequently had wider releases (though maybe not Another Day?).

Last edited:
Snowlock said:

1. Name the only song released only as B-Sides (separately) in both live & studio versions.
Party Girl?

Snowlock said:

This one is tough, nothing comes to mind.

Snowlock said:

4. Name the tracks appearing on official U2 releases that were not performed by U2 (or Passengers).
Freedom for My People, Star Spangled Banner

Snowlock said:

5. What are the U2 officially released tracks where the lead vocals are not performed by a member of U2.
Wanderer, but you said 'tracks', I'm stumped.

Snowlock said:

Does a live release count, then I'd say Bad.
Snowlock said:

I can only think of Two Shots...

The ones right so far:

3. Things To Make And Do, released as a B-Side on A Day Without Me & live on Live From Boston 1981 (iTunes)

7. Allegedly Trip Through Your Wires was written for Frank Sinatra as Bono claimed many times during the Joshua Tree Tour. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad was written for him, but Frank died before he could/would record it.

9. I will follow, released as the studio version single, then once live in Germany (Hatten 1982) and once live in the US (St. Goershausen 1983)

Please was released live on Popheart which technically was an EP, not a single.

10. Songs as singles released in one country only:
a. Out Of Control - From Three, Ireland only
b. Another Day - Ireland only
c. 40 - Germany only
d. I Will Follow (Hatten) - Germany
e. I Will Follow (St. G) - USA

11 O'Clock Tick Tock was the first song released by Island, and done so in Ireland and the UK at the same time.

Lemon was released in the US on vinyl (but only as remixes), and in Australia and in Japan on CD.

In God's Country was released in both Canada and the US.
One Tree Hill was released in both New Zealand and Australia.

Snowlock said:
The U2 Discography quiz.

Bonus points if you can name the album or single that the song in question came from as well as the year it was released.

2. Including remixes & live versions, how many times has The Fly been officially released?

Last edited:
1. Name the only song released only as B-Sides (separately) in both live & studio versions. <--- No idea.
2. Including remixes & live versions, how many times has The Fly been officially released? <--- No idea. Twice?
3. Name the only U2-written instrumental performed live on an official release <--- No idea.
4. Name the tracks appearing on official U2 releases that were not performed by U2 (or Passengers). <--- That BB King song.
5. What are the U2 officially released tracks where the lead vocals are not performed by a member of U2. <--- That BB King song.
6. What’s the longest track on a U2 release? <--- No idea.
7. Name the two songs U2 allegedly wrote for Frank Sinatra <--- No idea and No idea.
8. What were the two songs U2 released as singles that were, strictly speaking, remix versions instead of the studio versions? <--- Numb and Lemon.
9. Name the song that was released as a single in both studio and live versions <--- All I Want Is You
10. Name the songs that were released as singles in one country only <--- No idea.

Re: Re: Slow day, how about a quiz?

Snowlock said:
The ones right so far:

7. Allegedly Trip Through Your Wires was written for Frank Sinatra as Bono claimed many times during the Joshua Tree Tour. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad was written for him, but Frank died before he could/would record it.

So was Stay. The song was originally titled "Sinatra". I believe the Frank Sinatra tribute on Joshua Tree with Trip Through Your Wires was more of a joke.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Slow day, how about a quiz?

Blue Room said:

So was Stay. The song was originally titled "Sinatra". I believe the Frank Sinatra tribute on Joshua Tree with Trip Through Your Wires was more of a joke.

That's interesting, never heard that about Stay...

Yeah, that's why I put the allegedly about Trip...

BVS, there's more

Philly, not sure what you mean.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Slow day, how about a quiz?

Snowlock said:

BVS, there's more

Still stumped on this one, with the exception of those two listed, I can't think of any other U2 release that doesn't have at least one member of U2 on it.

Well 'WLCTT' is a shared lead, Alex doesn't have any vocals by a member of U2 but doesn't really have a lead vocal, so I can't imagine beyond the ones listed what's missing.

I would have thought the answer to Q1 about the b-side would be Slow Dancing. the original version and Live-ish one with willie nelson?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Slow day, how about a quiz?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Still stumped on this one, with the exception of those two listed, I can't think of any other U2 release that doesn't have at least one member of U2 on it.

They're out there. But aside from that, I did say U2 or Passengers. Said nothing about solo recordings.

Well 'WLCTT' is a shared lead, Alex doesn't have any vocals by a member of U2 but doesn't really have a lead vocal, so I can't imagine beyond the ones listed what's missing.

Alex isn't a U2 song. So, that'd be one :bonodrum:

Here's a couple that were answered partially correctly:

a. Freedom For My People
b. Star Spangled Banner
c. Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1

I can think of at least 7 more, one of which was mentioned in an attempt to answer a different question.

a. Willie Nelson on Slow Dancing - IGWSA Single
b. Johnny Cash on The Wanderer - Zooropa

There's 2 more.

Last edited:
For number 4, I've Got You Under My Skin is not U2, but Bono and Frank Sinatra.

Snowlock said:

I think 9 or 10 times.

There were 2 tracks on Rattle and Hum:
Freedom For My People - Adam Gussow & Sterling Magee
Star Spangled Banner - Jimi Hendrix

both are short but have been released.

I think that's Bad-40-Streets live medley released on the Electrical Storm single.

Snowlock said:

10 versions (Achtung Baby, The Fly single, Lounge Fly mix, Zoo TV DVD, Elevation Boston DVD, Vertigo Chicago DVD, U2 Communication, Zoo TV Live audio CD, the Stop Sellafield version on the City of Blinding Lights single, and The Best of 1990-2000 in some areas)

If this includes all live releases, then it includes DVDs. So Wake Up, Pop Muzik, and Television: The Drug of the Nation would all count.

Hmm, this one is tough. Is there a version of She's a Mystery to Me with Roy Orbison on the lead vocals in the U2 catalogue of releases? Also, Freedom for my People would count again here.

Last edited:

Well, the two Bullet Intros on Live from Boston and Go Hom maybe?

The answer to #1 is Boy/Girl. It was originally a b-side on U2:3 and a live version from ... 22? September 1980 was the b-side on at least some editions of I Will Follow's studio single.

Damn, most of them now are figured out. A summary of answers to date:

- Boy/Girl, released on Three in studio version & the I Will Follow Single in live version.

- Getting close, but not completed yet, but that may be due to how I phrased the question. I should have said, "how many different versions of The Fly have been officially released?" So far we've got:

a. The Fly - Achtung Baby
b. The Lounge Fly - The Fly Single
c. Live from Chicago 2005 - U2 Communication
d. Live from Zydney 1993 - Zoo TV Live
e. Live From Stop Sellafield 1992 (?) - City Of Blinding Lights Single

This is a Discography, not Videography so DVD's don't count.

- Things To Make And Do - Performed live on Live From Boston iTunes exclusive

a. The Star Spangled Banner - Rattle & Hum
b. Freedom For My People - Rattle & Hum
c. Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1 - The Fly Single
d. I've Got You Under My Skin - The Stay Single
e. Ava Maria - SYCMIOYO Single
f. One - Miss Sarajevo Single
g. Themes from Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal
e. Tell Me Now - Mazzy Star

1 more.

a. The Wanderer - Johnny Cash - Zooropa
b. One Shot Of Happy - Willie Nelson - IGWSHA Single

Still 3 more

a. Clocking in at over 12 minutes, the Bad/40/Streets medley from the Electrical Storm Single is the longest track.

a. Allegedly, Trip Through Your Wires
b. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
c. I guess Stay was as well. Anyone have more on this, I'd love to hear it.

a. Mofo
b. ?

- I Will Follow was released as a single in the studio version and twice as live singles, once in Germany (live from Hatten 1982) and once in the US (live from St. Goershausen 1983)

a. Out Of Control - Three - Ireland
b. Another Day - Ireland
c. 40 - Germany
d. I Will Follow (Live from Hatten) - Germany
e. I Will Follow (Live from St. G) - USA

Last edited:
For #4, what is the status of Van Diemen's Land? After all, that was just Edge, not U2. Though if we keep following the path of "what band members aren't there?", then that leads to 4th Of July, MLK, and beyond.

Back
Top Bottom