Slow day, how about a quiz?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snowlock said:

4. Name the tracks appearing on official U2 releases that were not performed by U2 (or Passengers).
a. The Star Spangled Banner - Rattle & Hum
b. Freedom For My People - Rattle & Hum
c. Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1 - The Fly Single
d. I've Got You Under My Skin - The Stay Single

Still at least 6 more.

Ok, if we're defining it this way then I guess we can include:

SBS on the IGWSHA single since it's only Edge
One on the Miss Sarajevo single since it's only Bono and Edge
Slow Dancing - Willie Nelson version
Two Shots
Ave Maria - Sometimes single

Snowlock said:

5. What are the U2 officially released tracks where the lead vocals are not performed by a member of U2.
a. The Wanderer - Johnny Cash - Zooropa
b. One Shot Of Happy - Willie Nelson - IGWSHA Single

Still 3 more

Still stumped on this one...

Axver said:
For #4, what is the status of Van Diemen's Land? After all, that was just Edge, not U2. Though if we keep following the path of "what band members aren't there?", then that leads to 4th Of July, MLK, and beyond.

This is true.

Axver said:
For #4, what is the status of Van Diemen's Land? After all, that was just Edge, not U2. Though if we keep following the path of "what band members aren't there?", then that leads to 4th Of July, MLK, and beyond.

Yeah, VDL could be considered murky territory however, I'd assume it came out of U2 recording session, rather than say, Bono just walking into a studio to record I've Got You Under My Skin or Edge doing the theme from The Batman so it'd go under U2 rather than a solo track.

There's two more from BVS:

One from The Miss Sarajevo single as this was a Pavarotti concert with Bono & Edge as guests.

Ava Maria from the Sometimes single, Pavarotti again at his concert, this time with just Bono as a guest star.

Edge on SBS would be considered U2 as it was played at a U2 show.

And Victor just nailed two more. One left. Wake up doesn't count as it's on a DVD only. Discography quiz, not videography :)

Updated on the main answers list on page 2 of the thread.

Last edited:
also in #4... HMTMKMKM Single:

Themes from Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal
Tell Me Now - Mazzy Star

Wake Up on the Vertigo DVD

I believe The Fly was released 8 or 9 times

1. Achtung Baby
2. COBL Single
3. Elevation 2001 / Boston (DVD, out...)
4. The Fly (Single)
5. The Lounge Fly Mix (on the Single)
6. U2.Communication
7. Vertigo 2005 / Chicago (DVD, out...)
8. Zoo TV Sydney (u2.com cd)
9. Best Of 90-00 (UK and Japan?)

Total of 7?

If the Bad-40-Streets medley from electrical storms counts it would be the answer (12:27)

If the right answer is a single track it's Discothèque (Ruff's New Club Anthem) with 11:10.

iTunes :heart:

Last edited:
Snowlock said:

There's two more from BVS:

One from The Miss Sarajevo single as this was a Pavarotti concert with Bono & Edge as guests.

Ava Maria from the Sometimes single, Pavarotti again at his concert, this time with just Bono as a guest star.

So why do these count but not Two Shots?

Two shots was just Bono, Edge, and orchestra.

I just found out Slow Dancing had the whole band, I thought it was just Bono and Edge, youtube is great.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So why do these count but not Two Shots?

Two shots was just Bono, Edge, and orchestra.

I just found out Slow Dancing had the whole band, I thought it was just Bono and Edge, youtube is great.

To my knowledge, Two Shots is considered a U2 release, it wasn't just Bono and Edge on their own like the 46664 concert. I think there is a difference between a solo recording even by multiple band members, and a U2 release by a single band member. For example, Bono singing alone on One Step Closer is U2, yet Adam and Larry on Theme From Mission Impossible is not.

Victor just finished off #8, 1. Mofo & 2. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix). There's actually one more as well technically, but I think it could be argued it's not really a remix as we generally view them.

I'm surprised no one's figured out the trick in The Fly question. C'mon people, *any* version...

Last edited:
Snowlock said:

To my knowledge, Two Shots is considered a U2 release, it wasn't just Bono and Edge on their own like the 46664 concert. I think there is a difference between a solo recording even by multiple band members, and a U2 release by a single band member. For example, Bono singing alone on One Step Closer is U2, yet Adam and Larry on Theme From Mission Impossible is not.

It's credited as written by Bono and Edge and the only ever performance and recording was just Bono, Edge and an orchestra. Anyone else have any other information that may make this incorrect?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's credited as written by Bono and Edge and the only ever performance and recording was just Bono, Edge and an orchestra. Anyone else have any other information that may make this incorrect?

Here's what U2wanderer says about it, which is what I'm basing my perspective on. But other than it being a Frank song, I don't know a whole lot about it.

"This single also featured U2's recording of Two Shots of Happy One Shot of Sad, a song which was written for the late Frank Sinatra, who never had an opportunity to record it. "

That said, could be wrong and we can count it. Also good to learn more about any song, I think.

Snowlock said:

I'm surprised no one's figured out the trick in The Fly question. C'mon people, *any* version...

"Achtung Baby Solicitation Kit" Edit? :eyebrow:

victor_f said:

"Achtung Baby Solicitation Kit" Edit? :eyebrow:

Nice! But no. Unique versions... So the Achtung Baby version of The Fly, also found on The Fly Single, Best Of, and the Achtung Baby Solicitation Kit, The 4 radio promos, Previous Day, and Rest Of The Remixes all count as one (well, two as Rest Of The Remixes has the Loung Fly on it :nerd: )

Last edited:
Answers. I'm surprised no one finished off 5. I worded 2 poorly so it's my fault. The last for 4 was tough.

1. Name the only song released only as B-Sides (separately) in both live & studio versions.
- Boy/Girl, released on Three in studio version & the I Will Follow Single in live version.

2. Including remixes & live versions, how many times has The Fly been officially released?
I should have said, "how many different versions of The Fly have been officially released?"

a. The Fly - Achtung Baby
b. The Lounge Fly - The Fly Single
c. Live from Chicago 2005 - U2 Communication
d. Live from Zydney 1993 - Zoo TV Live
e. Live From Stop Sellafield 1992 (?) - City Of Blinding Lights Single
f. Lady With The Spinning Head (UVI) - One Single
g. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix) - EBTTRT Single

Lady is an early version of The Fly.

3. Name the only U2-written instrumental performed live on an official release
- Things To Make And Do - Performed live on Live From Boston iTunes exclusive

4. Name the tracks appearing on official U2 releases that were not performed by U2 (or Passengers).
a. The Star Spangled Banner - Rattle & Hum
b. Freedom For My People - Rattle & Hum
c. Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1 - The Fly Single
d. I've Got You Under My Skin - The Stay Single
e. Ava Maria - SYCMIOYO Single
f. One - Miss Sarajevo Single
g. Themes from Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal
e. Tell Me Now - Mazzy Star
f. Do Re Mi - John Mellencamp - The Jesus Christ promo single

5. What are the U2 officially released tracks where the lead vocals are not performed by a member of U2.
e. Sinead O'Connor - I'm Not Your Baby - End Of The Violence Soundtrack - 1997
f. (Can't believe this one was missed) - Mary J Blige - One
g. Tower Of Song - Leonard Cohen - Windows In The Skies single

6. What’s the longest track on a U2 release?
a. Clocking in at over 12 minutes, the Bad/40/Streets medley from the Electrical Storm Single is the longest track.

7. Name the two songs U2 allegedly wrote for Frank Sinatra
a. Allegedly, Trip Through Your Wires
b. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
c. I guess Stay was as well. Anyone have more on this, I'd love to hear it.

8. What were the two songs U2 released as singles that were, strictly speaking, remix versions instead of the studio versions?
a. Mofo
b. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)

Another could be the Temple Bar "remix" of Wild Horses but it really wasn't much of a remix as it was a "single version" with remix in the title.

9. Name the song that was released as a single in both studio and live versions
- I Will Follow was released as a single in the studio version and twice as live singles, once in Germany (live from Hatten 1982) and once in the US (live from St. Goershausen 1983)

10. Name the songs that were released as singles in one country only
a. Out Of Control - Three - Ireland
b. Another Day - Ireland
c. 40 - Germany
d. I Will Follow (Live from Hatten) - Germany
e. I Will Follow (Live from St. G) - USA

Snowlock said:

f. Do Re Mi - John Mellencamp - The Jesus Christ promo single

Interesting, never knew this existed.

Snowlock said:

e. Sinead O'Connor - I'm Not Your Baby - End Of The Violence Soundtrack - 1997
f. (Can't believe this one was missed) - Mary J Blige - One
g. Tower Of Song - Leonard Cohen - Windows In The Skies single

Ok, Tower of Song I could give you in fact I almost posted that. But the other two don't really fit.

One w/MJB I wouldn't consider an official U2 release. It's an official MJB release that includes U2.

And 'I'm Not Your Baby' is a duet in every sense of the word so technically the lead vocal is shared.

IMO, Mary J shares lead vocals with Bono... Bono is not a backup singer on that song...

Also, "b. One Shot Of Happy - Willie Nelson - IGWSHA Single"?

"b. One Shot Of Happy - Willie Nelson - IGWSHA Single"

That would be Slow Dancing.

One little info: The town is called Hattem, not Hatten.

Snowlock said:
Answers. I'm surprised no one finished off 5. I worded 2 poorly so it's my fault. The last for 4 was tough.

2. Including remixes & live versions, how many times has The Fly been officially released?
I should have said, "how many different versions of The Fly have been officially released?"

a. The Fly - Achtung Baby
b. The Lounge Fly - The Fly Single
c. Live from Chicago 2005 - U2 Communication
d. Live from Zydney 1993 - Zoo TV Live
e. Live From Stop Sellafield 1992 (?) - City Of Blinding Lights Single
f. Lady With The Spinning Head (UVI) - One Single
g. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix) - EBTTRT Single

Lady is an early version of The Fly.

Lady is NOT The Fly. Just because the guitar solo is in the early Hansa version of the song doesnt make it an early version of The Fly. If anything its the other way around. Why not include Ultraviolet then as well, it was part of that same early recording? Because Ultraviolet is not The Fly or Lady. If it was a version of The Fly, it would have been called The Fly and not Lady with the Spinning Head. No one was going to get this answer because its not a correct answer. :shrug:

Blue Room said:
Lady is NOT The Fly. Just because the guitar solo is in the early Hansa version of the song doesnt make it an early version of The Fly. If anything its the other way around. Why not include Ultraviolet then as well, it was part of that same early recording? Because Ultraviolet is not The Fly or Lady. If it was a version of The Fly, it would have been called The Fly and not Lady with the Spinning Head. No one was going to get this answer because its not a correct answer. :shrug:

Quoted for truth. I don't see how anyone was meant to get that. I think the only way you could possibly get LWTSH as a legitimate answer is to ask "which officially released U2 songs are in some way related to the Achtung Baby version of The Fly, whether through remix, live performance, or other means?"

Back
Top Bottom