Slow Dancing on Zooropa - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would Slow Dancing have fit on Zooropa?

• Yes! It's a great song and should have been included.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • No! It's a good song, but doesn't fit with the likes of Lemon and Numb

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • No, the studio version is really boring

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • U2 have a song called Slow Dancing?

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I was re-reading U2 at the End of the World the other day, cause I was bored. In one section they talk about how Bono recorded Slow Dancing during the Zooropa sessions and wanted to include it on the album, but the rest of the band thought it was too different from the rest of the album and would disrupt the flow.

I disagree. While not as experimental as Numb or Lemon, I think Slow Dancing has a moody and sedated quality consistent with a lot of the Zooropa songs. I don't think it's much different then Dirty Day, The First Time, or Stay and would have worked on the album.

Your thoughts?

I say no. It's a good song, but I can't think where it would fit on Zooropa. The band was right -- it would disrupt the flow too much.

The Wanderer was enough in terms of other artists doing vocals on a song. If you had to chose between the Wanderer and Slow Dancing what would you want? I think the Wanderer sounds better and fits in with the album more.

sniggirb said:
The Wanderer was enough in terms of other artists doing vocals on a song. If you had to chose between the Wanderer and Slow Dancing what would you want? I think the Wanderer sounds better and fits in with the album more.
:eyebrow: bono sung vocals on this one. it's a b-side for stay. the version you're thinking of is sung by willie nelson, b-side for if god will send his angels.

i voted yes, and here's why. the song doesn't fit amongst the likes of numb and lemon, but i think it could fit in perfectly on side b. i think it the first time/slow dancing would be a good fit. sure it'd be two slow songs back-to-back, but i don't mind that.

aah, I do see where you're coming from, but I think it still would have disrupted the flow of Side B. I personally think The First Time/Dirty Day go perfectly.

Well the Bono/Edge version of this song on the Stay signle is phenominal. Much better than the Willie Nelson version. I think the Zooropa incarnation of this song would have fit nicely on side B of Zooropa, like a few of you have suggested.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:eyebrow: bono sung vocals on this one. it's a b-side for stay. the version you're thinking of is sung by willie nelson, b-side for if god will send his angels.

Ohhhhh :banghead: I never knew/heard the b-side on Stay, I only own the IGWSHA single and thought the only version was with Willie. Could somebody send me the Stay b-side version?

briggins@gmail.com

And sorry for my stupidity haha

I saw mention of a Zooropa version of Wake-Up Dead Man that was a massive rocker that could have been released as a single in 1994 in another thread..It would have been brilliant if they'd put that and HMTMKMKM on Zooropa..

Think there is a chance we will hear that incarnation of the song one day?

sniggirb said:
Ohhhhh :banghead: I never knew/heard the b-side on Stay, I only own the IGWSHA single and thought the only version was with Willie. Could somebody send me the Stay b-side version?

briggins@gmail.com

And sorry for my stupidity haha
it's okay. it seems a lot of people aren't aware that U2 released a version with bono singing first. (you can include me in that list up until 1999.)

if no one's sent it to you by the time i get back on my computer (i'm on a friend's right now) i'll send it to you. :D

I love both the "Stay" single version and Willie's take. It is a very nice song and the closest U2 will be to country music without being bad. (The Dalton Brothers, anybody?)

Sleep Over Jack said:
I saw mention of a Zooropa version of Wake-Up Dead Man that was a massive rocker that could have been released as a single in 1994 in another thread..It would have been brilliant if they'd put that and HMTMKMKM on Zooropa..

What you're referring to was mentioned in the book (can't remember the title off-hand) by BP Fallon. He described the early version of Wake Up Dead Man as having "soaring" guitar. Needless to say I was pretty disapointed with the Pop version of the song. I would kill to hear the original version!

karls77 said:

What you're referring to was mentioned in the book (can't remember the title off-hand) by BP Fallon. He described the early version of Wake Up Dead Man as having "soaring" guitar. Needless to say I was pretty disapointed with the Pop version of the song. I would kill to hear the original version!

Thanks..do you have the article? I'd like to see what was said..

Hey, if anyone else would like to pass on that Bono vocal version of Slow Dancing I'd be most grateful.

And speaking of guest vocals, and I know it's off the topic here, but does anyone have a version of I'm Not Your Baby with Sinead O'Connor on vocals? I had it taped off the radio years ago but it's disappeared.

Thanks!

My e-mail is:
htdaab191104 [at] yahoo.com

Hey, if anyone else would like to pass on that Bono vocal version of Slow Dancing I'd be most grateful.

And speaking of guest vocals, and I know it's off the topic here, but does anyone have a version of I'm Not Your Baby with Sinead O'Connor on vocals? I had it taped off the radio years ago but it's disappeared.

Thanks!

My e-mail is:
htdaab191104 [at] yahoo.com

Sleep Over Jack said:

Thanks..do you have the article? I'd like to see what was said..

Sorry, I think the book is called "Stay (Faraway So Close)" after the song and was released just after the ZooTV tour. It's currently in a box at my dad's house at home in the states so I'm afraid I can't post the full excerpt. It was a pretty popular book and there must be a few people on this board that have it.

Here's a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...66814/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/026-0919467-9416445

Frankly, they should've included Slow Dancing and cut First Time. Wasn't FT the track that they would've cut, except for the fact that Eno absolutely loved it?

Back
Top Bottom