Slant magazine's Grammy predictions.. ATYCLB lovers - don't look!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bound

The Fly
Out of the 4 categories (that include U2) that they are offering predictions for, they are predicting only 1 win (best rock album).

While you may disagree with their assessment of the quality of ATYCLB, it is true that it's the kind of album that the Grammy-folk prefer to award, i.e., big seller & not too scary/challenging/different, ala POP or Zooropa or something. Nonetheless, even having said this, they don't see them winning in a big way this year. (Again, at least in the 4 categories they analyze that apply to U2).

come see:
http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/features/grammyforecast2002.html

You know, that's probably the kind of two-faced magazine that crucified the band when POP was out ("What are they doin? This isn't U2!"), then U2 comes out with their most heartfelt, triumphant album in years, and it's "too safe." Pardon the cliche, but my message to them is quite simply FUCK OFF!

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
Hello,

Dustybot, on what premises do you make this judgement about the website? I think those Grammy predictions are quite realistic.
The more I think about it, the higher I rate the competition for Album Of The Year. OK, I rule out India.Arie for this category, but the rest?
-Bob Dylan has made a critically acclaimed album (although I personally prefer Time Out Of Mind as that one is so damn depressing) and many Grammy-voters are of about the same age.
-O Brother Where Art Thou has again much critical acclaim (well, all albums in that category have). It's also an album that looks back at the heritage of American music. As it's a very American album it might do very well given the sentiment in the USA.
- Stankonia is a very good rap album. Some hold it against it that it's a rap album (as no rap album has ever won Album Of The Year), but I might agree with what I've read in some other article. One day the Grammy's have to acknowledge rap music. Last year that was not possible, as Eminem was too controversial, but the votes might be in favour for Outkast this year. A good rap album that isn't (that) offensive made by rappers that not sought by the police. For a rap album, Stankonia is a safe choice, so don't rule them out.
- ATYCLB. We know the merits of this album, but we might also know its drawbacks. The album IS sometimes playing it safe (even the band acknowledges it now). It is often too midtempo, there are no real thorns, not in the lyrics and not in the music. However, I don't think Grammy voters have forgotten the role of the album in the aftermath of 11 September.

So, there are 4 strong candidates in this category and I cannot put money on one of them.

C ya!

Marty

My point of contention is not with the Grammy predictions, it's with this irritating critical view that ATYCLB was a safe, mainstream album and that U2 somehow retreated creatively on it. And it's so fucking hypocritical, because everyone said the exact opposite about POP, that they had gone too far, that it was too "arty," as Bono once put it. With some people U2 just can't win I suppose.

Well, let's see why that doesn't hold water- Pop didn't impress the Grammy voters, it recieved nothing! Zooropa won for Best Alternative album, not Best album, so I think ATYCLB IS the kind of thing that impresses those voters and it will do well. That magazine's logic is flawed, and their rationale is complete BS.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

Originally posted by Veranda:
Well, let's see why that doesn't hold water- Pop didn't impress the Grammy voters, it recieved nothing! Zooropa won for Best Alternative album, not Best album, so I think ATYCLB IS the kind of thing that impresses those voters and it will do well. That magazine's logic is flawed, and their rationale is complete BS.

"Pop" didn't receive "nothing" - it was *nominated* for Best Rock Album - it just didn't win anything. But at least the Grammy's acknowledged "Pop."

As for these predictions - they are all rather moot. Whether one predicts a U2 sweep or U2 going home with nothing, it really doesn't matter. Last year, most people did NOT predict U2 winning any Grammy's, let alone all three, yet they did. This year, I hope that ATYCLB wins Album of the Year as well as Rock Album of the Year. I'd also like to see one other win (Rock Song, for example). But even if U2 wins nothing, the album is already a 3-time Grammy winner because of its success last year.

Hello,

Dustybot, on what premises do you make this judgement about the website? I think those Grammy predictions are quite realistic.
The more I think about it, the higher I rate the competition for Album Of The Year. OK, I rule out India.Arie for this category, but the rest?
-Bob Dylan has made a critically acclaimed album (although I personally prefer Time Out Of Mind as that one is so damn depressing) and many Grammy-voters are of about the same age.
-O Brother Where Art Thou has again much critical acclaim (well, all albums in that category have). It's also an album that looks back at the heritage of American music. As it's a very American album it might do very well given the sentiment in the USA.
- Stankonia is a very good rap album. Some hold it against it that it's a rap album (as no rap album has ever won Album Of The Year), but I might agree with what I've read in some other article. One day the Grammy's have to acknowledge rap music. Last year that was not possible, as Eminem was too controversial, but the votes might be in favour for Outkast this year. A good rap album that isn't (that) offensive made by rappers that not sought by the police. For a rap album, Stankonia is a safe choice, so don't rule them out.
- ATYCLB. We know the merits of this album, but we might also know its drawbacks. The album IS sometimes playing it safe (even the band acknowledges it now). It is often too midtempo, there are no real thorns, not in the lyrics and not in the music. However, I don't think Grammy voters have forgotten the role of the album in the aftermath of 11 September.

So, there are 4 strong candidates in this category and I cannot put money on one of them.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

eek.gif
, that magazine clearer dislikes U2. I completely disagree with a lot of their 'predictions'. It might be a little presumptuous to think that U2 could win in all 8 noms, but here's to hoping!
biggrin.gif

------------------
...the steam of my misfortunes, has given me the power to be afraid.

I find it really amusing that some of the people who criticise ATYCLB for being too "unadventurous" and "commercial" are often the same people who choke with excitement over PJ Harvey's latest. Don't take me wrong, "Stories..." is an awesome album, and my second-favourite of hers, but it's also her least ambitious and challenging record to date. If anything it's somewhat of a return to her earlier music, but with a more glossy, radio-friendly finish and a more mellow feel to it. Which is all fine because the songs are excellent and no less emotionally charged for that. I'm just kinda annoyed that many who criticise U2 for not exploring any new ground on ATYCLB salivate over "Stories..." just because PJ Harvey has got this "cool indie artist" thing.

It looks and sounds like this Slant magazine is influenced predominately by Urban and Hip Hop sources. With all the references to "white" music and "vanilla" artists, I wonder if their publishers would be cool with me referring to Outcast, Aire, and Keyes and chocolate flavored hipsters?

U2 will dominate the ceremony. No matter what these bias publishers want to believe

OK folks
First - This is obviously a rap/r&b magazine, which as its name suggests has a horribly slanted view of who has talent and should win at the grammys. If you're black you have talent, if you're white you don't.
smile.gif
ha ha. joking a little, but not really.

Second - I take the word of an actual Grammy analist over the word of any magazine column writer any day. And I posted what the grammy analist at Hitsdailydouble wrote last week. He has been covering the grammys for decades and he wrote this about album of the year.
<ALBUM OF THE YEAR: The other big story will be U2, which is likely to win five awards, including Album of the Year for All That You Can't Leave Behind. That would make U2 the first band ever to win Album of the Year twice (take that, Beatles). Bono and company first won this award with the landmark The Joshua Tree back in 1987 B.P. ("Before Panel"), when Grammy voters somehow managed to choose the nominees in the top categories without being second-guessed by a blue-ribbon committee. Fancy that. But U2 doesn't quite have a lock on the prize. Bob Dylan's presence in the race with Love and Theft could split the Rock vote, allowing the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack to pull off an upset. But that's not likely. U2, which led all artists with eight nominations, has a much higher profile at the moment than Dylan, who received just two bids. Besides, no country album has won in this category since a Glen Campbell LP scored 33 years ago. The other nominees?India.Arie's Acoustic Soul and OutKast's Stankonia?are more or less along for the ride. Pick: U2 will have another "Beautiful Day.">

Not that he is the final word, but I would definitely trust his hunches over Slant magazine

Predicting the Grammy's is difficult. One should remember last year how the acadamy of 11,000 voted, strongly for U2 despite the fact no one picked them to win anything. The composition of the acadamy is nearly the same since is only been a year, so look for the acadamy to vote for their favorites again this year that being U2. Brand new artist usually don't win the big awards. That was an interesting note about Bob Dylan and U2 splitting the Rock vote leaving the award for another artist. Ohhh I hope not! Best rock song is a problem to because the band are nominated for TWICE in this catagory. Another split vote problem. But in general I think the band will sweep the awards again. There is real strong support for them in the acadamy!

Back
Top Bottom