Slane vs Live in Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VertigoGal said:
^ I don't think it's only cos it's their hometown though. Bono's voice is better and I think the setlist flows better even if Boston possibly has more variety. Plus Boston is way too expensive.:madspit:

I'm not sure about price issues in variouis places (for me, they were the same price - actually, I think Boston was cheaper), but Bono's voice was far, FAR better in the Boston show than in Slane. By Slane, the tour was wearing on him and his voice was very "airy", not rich as it was in Boston.

However, I think both shows are fantastic and ideally you should get both. :yes: If you can only afford one, go for Boston first as I feel the quality is better.

I really like Boston but the emotion and the audience in Slane make me like it better! All I Want Is You (awesome performance) :drool:

Boston Gone:drool:

My vote goes to Slane, although you should get both as quickly as possible. :yes: I think it's just that there's such a great atmosphere at the Slane show, and definitely All I Want Is You:drool:, plus it's the first U2 related thing I ever got, so there's a bit of a bias there on my part. ;)

Hmm. Boston has Gone/Stay/The Fly/Bullet/New York... but Slane has much better versions of With or Without You/Walk On/Beautiful Day/Stuck in a Moment.

So in short, the songs that are doubled are better on Slane, but there's gold on Boston that's not available anywhere else.

Boston is a tighter performance that seems more designed for video release. Slane is a lot more raw, and everything seems more spontaneous and relaxed.

Gone and Stay are excellent in Boston, but All I Want Is You is stunning in Slane. The funny thing is that they played Wake Up Dead Man quite seldomly on the tour and yet it happens to end up on both DVDs.

Anyways, I would say just save up and buy both together - will save you the hastle of deciding (I mean you've already said you'll be buying them both anyway).

I prefer the Boston DVD. I've watched the Boston show more times than I can remember(I always would put it on when I worked out--so I'm probably in the hundreds of times). Slane on the other hand I found to be a flatter performance and have maybe watched it 5 times since it was released.

I greatly prefer the Boston setlist. Stay, Kite and In A Little While are gorgeous. The Fly, Bullet, Gone and UTEOTW all rock hard...and it doesn't get much better than Streets/40/Bad IMO. All in all I just find the setlist to flow better, and being that it is indoors it is more representative of the Elevation Tour in general.

There are some good moments in the Slane concert... All I Want Is You, Wake Up Dead Man and One are all amazing. The performance of Stuck and Walk On are probably slightly superior to the Boston DVD versions. It's cool to have Out of Control, but I fell it's a pretty flat performance compared to various other bootlegs I have from the Elevation Tour. Starin at the Sun was a stinker too, compared to the Mexico City version.

Well I was in town today and decided I wasn't going home without one or the other. Uptown I found the Slane DVD.. but not Elevation. I figured I'd go to another mall and there they had Elevation but not Slane.. haha! Well, we were on our way home by then and even with the hefty price tag (45 bucks CDN with tax:shocked: ) I decided I'd get it anyway. I never really buy myself anything, and seeing as how Slane is a bit cheaper.. I'll likely be able to get it too in the not too distant future.. well hopefully anyway.

I've watched up to Kite so far, and I love it. Edge really got mad at the end of Gone there.. I had read about that in reviews.. so it was nice to finally see that!

Thank you all for your suggestions folks. It was neat reading everyone interpretations :)

Take care

Back
Top Bottom