Slane leaves me empty...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileplease1974

The Fly
I've finally (!!!) got to watch the Slane DVD (we're still catching up technology-wise here in the UK!) and I have to say, the DVD has left me with a rather empty feeling.

My problem with the concert is that it's distinctly average. there's nothing that stands out (yes Bono's daughter dances with him, yes the Dublin crowd goes nuts, yes the first two songs are amazing, but the rest seems like a dressed up Greatest Hits tour). It's not something I'd recommend to a casual fan over the Sydney and Mexico recordings.

The Elevation Tour was distinct because of it's indoor nature - the back to roots application to be the best band in the world. However, I think on the stadium dates it lost it's identity and power and this is reflected in the footage.

The Slane stage set up is bland with many of the visual and staging effects that were great indoors (lights going out halfway during Elevation, see-through curtains during New York, lyrics projected onto the backdrop and arena roof during Walk On etc) being lost and the set up looking dwarfed by it's outdoor surroundings.

Apart from the ATYCLB tunes and probably Out of Control, the rest of the songs seem mostly tired, particularly NYD, Pride, All I Want Is You and they certainly don't 'blend' together as well as they did on the ZooTV and PopMart tours (UTEOTW and New Year's Day don't fit together as well now, nothing compares to the Running/Streets combo and the concert intro isn't as memorable as the ZooTV and PopMart gigs). The usages of video screens is incomparable to the last two tours (obviously) and the actual performances aren't as memorable (who can forget the belly dancer, Bono's Vietnam-style Running performances, flicking through the channels, The Fly text, MacPhisto, the Lemon ball, the boxing-style PopMart intro, the massive screen etc?). What will you remember from the Slane gig?

I appreciate the arguments about the fact that the Elevation tour was about the music and not about the staging, and the Slane gigs were about the occassion and that moment in time, but as a result, I think the concert and resulting DVD lacks a certain magic.

Despite its critics, I believe the Boston video is a better record of the tour than Slane, which to be honest, could have been a one-off gig. After all, apart from three or four European gigs, Elevation was an indoor tour.

Ofcourse it's a good gig and I'm sure I'll watch it again and again. But for me, it lacks that extra something seen in the ZooTV Sydney and PopMart Mexico videos which I'm sure will help them stand the course of time better than the Slane DVD.

Sorry if I'm going over old ground, but hey, I only watched it for the first time last night (though I saw the TV edited version) and thought I'd get this off my chest.

Woah, are you mad? SLANE'S AMAZING! I ADORE the performances of New Year's Day, All I Want Is You, Angel Of Harlem, and Walk On ... and wow, the video's magic. The Irish flag scene in New Year's Day, the beach ball scene during the acoustic set, "All I want is fuckin' you, man", the story before Kite (I find that quite amusing for some reason) ... it's just amazing. My non-U2 fanatic friend came round to my place one day and I put it on - halfway through, I asked him if he wanted to go do something else and he didn't want to leave the DVD! It's such a great concert.

Slane rocks my world.

Last edited:
Hamish Hamilton directed the show....that why the camera angles a crap at times...(ok thats got nothing to do with what you said :lol:)

agreed that the show is not as good as Zoo TV and Popmart (the elevation tour i'm talking about not slane) shows
times have changed we will never see the fantastic preformances of the zoo tv and popmart days again...because they were back in the past and IMO U2 is always trying to do something new....

disregard this post if you want....its full of crap :)

another thing...
slane could be 2-3 songs longer to add to its greatness
they should have added New York, The Fly and ISHFWLF, that would make the show better , if thats possible

Axver said:
Woah, are you mad? SLANE'S AMAZING! I ADORE the performances of New Year's Day, All I Want Is You, Angel Of Harlem, and Walk On ... and wow, the video's magic. The Irish flag scene in New Year's Day, the beach ball scene during the acoustic set, "All I want is fuckin' you, man", the story before Kite (I find that quite amusing for some reason) ... it's just amazing. My non-U2 fanatic friend came round to my place one day and I put it on - halfway through, I asked him if he wanted to go do something else and he didn't want to leave the DVD! It's such a great concert.

Slane rocks my world.

THANK YOU

:yes:

yes , if to compare Slane to Boston show , it is greaT , but Mexico and sydney are , well , much better , like 200 % better , set-list , band shape , stage , crowd , evreything is better about 97 , 93 recordings , boston was plain awful , slane has some spirit ( despite terrible directing from hamilton , maybe they should hire every mtv/vh1 geek next time ) , crowd is great , and the castle + U2 really were into perfomance that night .

Nothing can compare to Sydney 1993, it was U2 at their lean mean creative peak.

Slane:

1. Crowd is amazing.
2. Set-list is clunky at best. No flow, rythum.
3. Bono's voice was good.
4. MW as a bonus track? Why? (This pissed me off!)
5. If they wanted a bomb-assed DVD, they should have let you choose different angles. You'd be able to switch between the normal camera angle and the camera angles for each band member. Just imagine being able to check in on each member at any point in the show. Now that's a DVD.

I prefer Slane over Boston, better setlist, better show... but it is nowhere near ZooTV and POPMart. That's why I hope this tour is a huge stadium tour like they were.

WinnieThePoo said:
, slane has some spirit ( despite terrible directing from hamilton , maybe they should hire every mtv/vh1 geek next time )

you should see matchbox 20's atlanta concert (soon to dvd) some of the camera angles are pretty crap

preferred it over the Boston dvd

it's less fun to watch as the sydney dvd
but Slane prolly was a better show to have been at

IMO it's better than the Mexico dvd though
if only because the concert itself is so much better

The intro to the two previous tours was definatly better... I REALLY love the way popmart was opened, with Pop Muzik -> Mofo and the band coming onto stage as it did.

What's with the people who don't like Slane? Have you guys actually watched the DVD or is it still sitting in the case, unopened? Last night I played it LOUD (I'm talking insanely loud here), and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Perfect way to close 2003 and start 2004. Until The End Of The World finished, the clock ticked over to midnight, and New Year's Day began, and the timing was just AWESOME. We kept on turning it up and the louder it got, the better. Out Of Control really was out of control.

For those of you who doubt the quality of Slane and how interesting it would be to non-U2 fans, I can list at least four people, ranging from casual fan to not even interested who've all gladly sat down and watched Slane. It's a brilliant concert, even if I think the setlist could've been a bit better. Where's 11 O'clock Tick Tock?

I'm sorry, but I'm of the camp that dislikes Go Home because of the awful, awful MTV-style directing. I'm sure if I downloaded the MP3s and burned them to disc it would be a great show, but...no, the directing ruins it. There's a cut literally every three seconds, and it drives me mad. Sydney had great direction, Mexico almost as good. But Slane? Bah.

Boston had the same directing problems as Slane, really. Did Hamish do that one too?

I have no problems with the directing apart from Mysterious Ways ... it's all about the music for me.

Let's summarize the shortcomings of Slane:

1. Mysterious Ways left out - and as a bonus is not offered in DTS or DD5.1

2. Muddy sound mix.

3. Hardly any crowd noise in the mix, doesn't sound like 80,000 people were there - sounded like more people in the Boston DVD.

4. Bono's voice was tired.

5. Setlist was disjointed and not one continous flow, unlike Zoo TV and Popmart.

Anyone want to add to this?

Cheers,

J

I only saw the parts of Boston and Slane that were on TV, and personally I liked both - though I prefer Boston slightly because it presented the tour better as it was indoors for majority of the time. It's interesting that they mixed parts of two shows instead of just going with one concert but :shrug:
While I would say Bono's voice was better on Slane and that crowd was more into the show I thought the song selection was preferable to me on Boston and people were heard better. I didn't have a problem with directing, having cuts and several angles made it feel more "live". And IMO the shot of start of Streets in Boston which some people critisized is the best presentation of that special moment in the U2 concert I've ever seen.
(I saw the Notre Dame show too and while that one was also very good, I missed having multiple camera shots as it only focused on Bono)

jick said:
4. Bono's voice was tired.
Yeah, and it wasn't at Popmart Mexico? He sounds a lot better at Slane than he does at Mexico

5. Setlist was disjointed and not one continous flow, unlike Zoo TV and Popmart.
Am I the only person who doesn't think so? I feel it's pretty good, particularly stuff like Out Of Control/Sunday Bloody Sunday and All I Want Is You/Where The Streets Have No Name.

All this criticism of the Slane dvd leaves me baffled. How many of you signed the pettition asking U2 to release a dvd of the Slane show? The Slane dvd is something we fans wanted and the band responded. I love the show and the setlist. I think the sound is great, especially UTEOW, Angel Of Harlem, and SBS.

I dont quite understand the criticism either really. After actually seeing Popmart in peson, I hadn't seen one single performance of U2 until I finally got off by arse and bought Boston about 4 months ago. The difference shocked me. Perrhaps because it had been so long between shows, the degradation in overall quality was more noticable in everything from Bono's horrendous voice to the setlist and everything else. Dont get me wrong, it was ok, but not usual U2 standard. Still, I figured I had been away too long and having missed all aspects of Elevation I saw it from extremes. Finally got round to seeing the infamous Slane that everyone raved about a couple of months ago and it was so much better than Boston. If I could be bothered, I'd rant about Boston for hours but there's no need as there is a lot of better stuff to listen to.

salty72 said:
All this criticism of the Slane dvd leaves me baffled. How many of you signed the pettition asking U2 to release a dvd of the Slane show? The Slane dvd is something we fans wanted and the band responded. I love the show and the setlist. I think the sound is great, especially UTEOW, Angel Of Harlem, and SBS.

:yes: too bloody true.....we ask for something....and we flame it for being crap....
its not my favourite dvd....but its a great one!

I think Slane is a good representation of U2 now, although I am still, and always will be, a ZOO TV fan first and foremost....

salty72 said:

Just because U2 agreed to release a DVD by request doesn't mean that we just lap it up like a pack of mindless fans. We have the right to complain.

Also, I think U2 needs to get some new blood in their camp. There are so many U2 products out there now that have such GIANT flaws that it's mind blowing. They need some guidance from some fans on what to do. Example...

1. U2.com sucks ass. They should pay some fans who are professional web designers to run the site. The fans know what we want.

2. MW not on the regular set-list for the Slane DVD? Why? That's just lame. I'm sure there was some reason for the decision, but I can't imagine what that would be.

3. They should think about doing a special order thing for their live concerts. You log onto U2.com, pay .99 a song and download what shows you want. All soundboard quality and at a very nominal cost to the band. It would all be profit.

Anyways, I digress. But I think there is potential for the band to connect more with its fans while making more cash for them. IE-Everybodys happy.

I expect to get an e-mail from their management about an advisement position any day now. :wink:

wolfwill23 said:

Just because U2 agreed to release a DVD by request doesn't mean that we just lap it up like a pack of mindless fans. We have the right to complain.

What right? They don't have to do a frigging thing from this point on. They could say f*u and move on to retirement.

wolfwill23 said:

3. They should think about doing a special order thing for their live concerts. You log onto U2.com, pay .99 a song and download what shows you want. All soundboard quality and at a very nominal cost to the band. It would all be profit.

I could definitely go for this idea. Think they'll ever listen to what the "fans" want, again?
As for as the rest of the complaints of the Slane DVD :blahblah:
*inserts DVD to hear New Years Day*

Last edited:
I thought it was cool to have two shows from one tour on dvd, BUT:

The real tradgedy here is that the Sydney and Mexico City shows have not been released on dvd. Seriously, it would take a couple of days to remaster the video and audio and then they could put them out. Dvd has been the format of choice for several years now, the time has come!!!!!

Slane was a much better performance than the boston DVD, so it's not a bad representation of the elevation tour. That said, ZooTV is ofcourse still my favourite.

As for the concert downloads off the web... that's a great idea. But I doubt they'd go through all the trouble just to please us!!

And finally , yes we definitely need ZooTV and Popmart on DVD. I mean R&H is out why not the other two??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom