Slane 2.............WOOOOOHOOOO!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazyboy

War Child
Well, Slane2! Now, I can't at all, by any means, do this day justice from writing about it. You'd have to see the video, and even still, you miss the magic of the build-up, IRELAND 1-HOLLAND 0!!!!!!!!!!!! Aww, sorry Dutch people, no disrespect to ye, sorry ye are gone, and we aren't even through yet, far from it! But it was fucking scary on Saturday, the overflowing joy!!!!!! You gotta give us this moment. It was a pure Irish thing, Bono revelling in the fact. "THIS IS OUR TRIBE!!!!"

Well, it started off all so better than Slane1 for me. This time we weren't staying up in Dublin the night before, we travelled up from Limerick on the day, at 6am. We had all but given up hope of getting into the heart. Last week we left Dublin with ETS at 9:20am, and got to the drop off point at 10:30, getting to the venue at 11:20, and all the heart and pit were full a while before that. But this week we got up there just after 10, and there was alot less people going in to Slane than the previous week. There was me and 1 of my friends who was at Slane1 also, so we knew the story, and 2 friends who were very much U2 virgins, not even owning a CD! They went for the occasion, like many Irish. But the minute we got into the Slane Castle grounds, onto the dirt track, we LEGGED IT!! Hehe, it was surreal, you could see all the people who knew, not giving a shit about looking like fools, or getting covered in mud. We just ran as fast as we could. After my crush filled experience last week, there was NO WAY I was missing out on the front sections! Many a security guard screamed at me "SLOW DOWN!!" but no feckin way was I stopping for anyone! Got to the field, about 10:30 I think, and the heart was full, there seemed to be people still going into the 2nd heart. THANK GOD! We got in! The 4 of us! We were jumping around, taking photos of our precious armbands!!! I think they closed the pit 5or 10 minutes after we got in! Already, the day was set up to be better than the week before. The weather was brutal, but besides some showers before we got there, it stayed dry, just grey, who cares?! I wouldn't have noticed if it had snowed!

So we could just stroll around, actually got to use the facilities, to get T-shirts, rather than stand in the one spot like last week, holding onto a good place. Well, the gig itself didn't start til 1pm. Dara. Yep he is Irish, but apart from 2 girls(maybe his sisters?) nobody was familiar with his stuff. He was decent though, put in a good, if very short, performance.

Another Irish band, the Walls, formerly known as The Stunning, were next. They were very good! Well, it musta been hard for them, the crowd was very not into it. I dunno if it was the dull weather reflecting in people's moods, but it was downbeat, more so than last week. Took longer to fill up too, but the weather, and the fact that people knew what the story was from Slane1, was the reason for that. Musically they were brilliant though, and they did get the crowd pumping with their old Stunning hit, "Brewing Up A Storm".

Then, a big surprise, WHOAAA NELLY! Nelly Furtado kicked ass!!! She was great! Got the crowd going, and the girl is a great performer, full of energy. She even took our minds off the Ireland game, which was under way at this stage, but not on the big screen yet. Hehe, she even gave me a big wave, funny moment, as all the guys around me gave me the evil eye! Ah, you know, me and Nelly, we go way back
biggrin.gif
It kinda helps being 1 foot above everyone else
tongue.gif
I know many have said her voice is crap, and she is annoying, but all of us at Slane2 had a blast listening to her.

Then.......in Bono's own words......"THE BEST SUPPORT ACT EVER!" The match!! 2nd half! Aww, thanks to those beautiful beautiful beautiful feckin armbands, we strolled out of the pit, right in front of the big screen. At this stage Slane was full, packed, and everyone had their eyes on the screens. This was just awesome! The atmosphere......WOOOOOW! I'd say better than Lansdowne Road itself! I mean 85000, or so. All hyped up, all standing. It was heart wrenching stuff. Much singing, screaming, praying. I've been to some major soccer matches, but nah, this was far better! Then Kelly was sent off
redface.gif
o We thought,"that's it! We fucked!" And the Dutch threw on like 15 strikers, how on earth were we gonna survive?!? Then.......68th minute.....Mattie Holland(nice name:p) crossed in, McAteer.....GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
redface.gif
oooooo I swear, it was the single sweetest moment ever! Masses of bodies just landed on me, hehe, screams of delight!! We just jumped on each other, grabbing each other, shaking ourselves in disbelief! 85000 of us!! Whoaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! OLEEEEEEEE OLEEEE OLEE OLEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Complete strangers hugging, utter delight! It was fecking fabulous! Scenes were the same all over the country. My mom and sis were in the local shopping centre, and they heard this roar from the pub, thought there was an accident, opened the door, and hehehe, everyone was on the tables going mental!!
biggrin.gif
Well, next 25 minutes were just torture, but not so bad, they needed 2, and, well, we held out. The whistle went, and it was the same as when the goal went in, pure bliss!!!!!!! Then, tore back into the pit, feckers!LOL, all the bloody foreigners had taken the good spots, hehe. The silly Irish too bothered with the "petty" game of football. Heehee.

.........Well, we set up camp for the rest of the day at the peak of the heart. Ash came on, and at this stage it was celebration time! They rode the high of the match, making many references to it. Ash are one of my favourite bands, but, God! I needed a break! My voice was completely fucked! We were still buzzing, but it seemed most were taking a breather after the outbreaks of complete and utter madness during the game. They were very good though. They've come on alot since I saw them supporting U2 at Popmart.

Then Moby. Jaysus, that man is pure hyper, like a little energizer bunny! Running from one side of the stage to the next, he didn't stand still for 1 second! He's a great performer though, the crowd were really motoring at this stage! A few highlights were when he said "how ya'll doing?", didn't get much of a response, then "ah, seeing as it is a rock concert....HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GUYS DOING YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!!!?" Hahaha! And then, he asked everyone to give him the finger, and took a photo of us, saying he always wanted to be told fuck off by 80000! Gas man! And then, the highlight! Dougal!!!!!!!! Hahaha, himself and Dougal did a duet of the old Father Ted(Irish classic comedy) eurovision pisstake, "My Lovely Horse"! Hahaha, they didn't even do the Divine Comedy version, they did the Father Ted remix! Ah it was hilarious! We were all chanting "DOUGAL DOUGAL DOUGAL!" And Moby shouts "a bit of bloody quiet please, this is a very serious song!" Hehehe, great moment! He did a funky duet with Nelly Furtado too.

Ahhhh, then the long wait for U2. This week it was practically dark when they came on. Now, I was realllly looking forward to this, the 2 friends of mine had never seen them live, never even barely seen a video of them live, so I couldn't bloody wait to see them freak out, I knew I was gonna, I'm used to that now! The crowd this week seemed to be wiser to the whole "Sgt. Peppers" being the cue for U2. So many chants of "Sgt. Peppers" went up. And then, heehee, BOOOOOOOOM! Elevation is quite lovely, you know? FECKIN MIND BLOWINGLY LOVELY! Pogo time!!!!!! I'd saved my legs for U2! And hell did I use them! The voice was dead, but I screamed anyway(which resulted in the fact that I still can't talk, 3 days later!) Obviously we were gonna enjoy it more, being at the peak. Musically, I dunno, it wasn't anyhting majorly better or worse than 1. Beautiful day and Elevation did seem better, Bono also making many a reference to Ireland's win. I think he said "It's 2-0 now" at the start of Elevation. And, sang "a beautiful goal", hehe. UTEOTW, rocked, obviously. NYD, lovely too. I think someone hit Bono with a cup full of beer, or water, smack in the face! The whole crowd went "ooooooooooh" Hehe, Bono, did a fake stumble, and said what we thought was "I hope that was fucking water!" He also stumbled and fell into the drums I think during that song. And I think it was the moment someone threw a big tricolour at him, and he said "ah, just once", draped himself in it, and said "just imagine for 1 moment, I'm Jason McAteer! Hehe.

Out Of Control was fantastic!!! I'd seen em twice this tour, and hadn't heard this yet, so I was overjoyed, seeing as it is one of my faves, and it was a superb version! Bono pretended it was 1981, saying "Thanks to Phillip Lynott for letting us open today" And stuff like "we are going to London for a bit, but we keeping our camp in Dublin!" And "This is our first single" The place went bananas! You know the really rocking bit, after the kinda quiet bit? (I think that was when Bono mentioned all their families, who had loaned them ?500 for the London trip, and also the fans, who had most likely gave them that much or more, hehe) Well, that was shit hot! A match for Streets for pure lunacy! SBS kicked in, if they had played a Boyzone cover at this stage the crowd woulda went wild anyway, so you can imagine SBS. Bono named every last one of the victims of Omagh, very emotional moment. I think this is where he said about "Our tribe" and all the Irish stuff, great stuff, real patriotic and getting the crowd going!

Check the set list if you must,nothing major but the usual brilliance up to Kite, which was the best version I heard so far. AIWIY was dedicated to Ali, and a great version too. Hehehehe, then STREEEEEEEEEETS! I'm just addicted to this live! It's like some mental rollercoaster. A beast!!!!! And you know what is coming, but no way can you stop the shock and adrenaline! Once I heard the dooooodooooo intro, and the red screens beginning to appear, I turned to my 3 mates, big damn smile, they looking at me"what's this?!?!" except for the 1 who has seen it before. Same thing going on with everyone else around the place, you could hear screams of anticipation and delight, "streets!" And Thats what I shouted at them, they already had their heads blown halfway off, this would finish the job, and they ain't even U2 fans!?!? Hahahaha! They saw gigs before, but you ain't seen nothing til ya see U2 live!!! Then, like the big drop on a bad ass mother fucker of a roller coaster, WHOOOOOOOOOOSH! The whole place goes into dreamland! Heeeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeee! I loooooooooove it!

......(last one, I promise
wink.gif
)Mysterious Ways was particularly cool, Bono dancing with Eve. She seems to have the old man's performing gift, not even flinching in front of all the mad people! Bullet was as usual, booming, and Bono went into a big angry speech again. WOWY was sweet, then, after it, Bono went over to all the others, whispering, I thought they were gonna do something special. Well, they kinda did. Bono just said "how about we don't bother doing the whole going off stage and coming on again thing and just keep playing" and the crowd voiced their approval. One was very emotional, Bono kinda saying thanks to all the Irish, to everyone who had come to Slane, how special it was to them, basically summing up the whole tour, giving thanks to the fans. I dunno, but from the Video screen it seemed Adam was crying!
redface.gif
Well, I asked a few people around me, and they said the same thing. Maybe it was just an odd facial expression, but he seemed very sad, very close to tears, very emotional. Ah but it was kinda a happy sad if anything. Before they started Bono just said "this is all you need to get to a World Cup Finals, 1 goal"
smile.gif
And a great version followed. Then Walk On, again superb! Couldn't have been better, many group hugs with my blown away friends, yeah, U2 live baby! Heehee. They did their lap of honour, it was very sad seeing them go, just didn't want the day to end, you could hear some booing, people upset it was over, but, well, it was just cause it was so good. Hehe, even the fireworks were better this time! And UF, aww, every time I hear that now I get even more goosebumps!!!! It was great!

I am dying to relive it through the video, there must be a video! There was so many cameras present, Germans, ABC, and loads of "Dreamchaser" guys, I think that's the U2 crowd ain't it? And they had much more filming type cameras than Slane1, ones on rails around the pit, cranes, everything. So, BRING IT OUT!!!! I need my fix!!

Jaysus, I dunno what I'm gonna do! The last 3 saturdays were all seeing U2 live
redface.gif
o How will I go on?!?!
tongue.gif
Well, back to gettin drunk and going to bad niteclubs, hehe. Well, just wanna say thanks again to U2, they kicked ass so much! I think it won't ever be beat by a band in the future! Maybe just them. I got some pics, some great ones of London, dodgy of Slane1, and great of Slane2. Lol, there is 1 where Bono shys away from my camera, smiling, a bit shitty, cause damn disposable, but I'll try and shine it up when scanning it. Consilio(tobe), you still ok for me sending you the pics and you putting them on your site? Hope you are still there, said you were leaving on the 5th. If you're gone, is there anyone else that can help in posting them?

Oh, by the way, if Starr is reading this, which I doubt, cause she is in Ireland for the next week, haha, I think I saw ya! You were just across the heart from us, at the other side of the peak. You were standing near the guy in the Kerry jersey(green and gold)? Well, I think it was you. That was the only interferencer I spotted.

Hmm, oh yeah, better go back to work. LOL, they pay me to write stuff on interference! Sorry for the long review, had to get all my memories down before I forget em! And I'm sure I forgot some things, but I'll spare ye
wink.gif

wow.. Great story! Im sooo jealous now...

As u can see, Im still here, not leaving until the 11th so as soon as u got your photos scanned, email them and i will add them to my snap so u can post them..

awesome review, lazyboy! i can sense how excited you were about the show- i can't wait to see it on video! i was at slane 1, and i just wanted to say that your country is beautiful, and all of the people i met were so friendly! i'm so glad that you enjoyed the gigs!!
smile.gif

Great Story Lazyboy!

I loved the way you described the crowd's reaction to the McAteer goal, I was laughing out loud at that one. I can only imagine the scenes myself....

Ditto with that Dougal's "My Lovely Horse" thing.....its kinda funny and a bit strange to know that you and many others were chanting "Dougal, Dougal, Dougal!!" when in fact thats my real surname! Oh how I would have loved to hear that!
biggrin.gif

Ah well at least I saw U2 in the first Slane gig.....Im content with that.....it was, to my mind, a most amazing day and probably the best U2 gig I have ever seen (saw U2 14 previous times)....

Anyway, thanks again for the report!

dougal

OMG lazyboy you made feel like I was there, thank you!
I can't believe the rude person who threw the cup at Bono, at lease Bono had a sense of humor about it.
smile.gif

Bono dedicated AIWIY to Ali? Awww, he's so sweet. And he danced with his little girl to top it off, double sweet!
I really hope we get to see Slane on TV, DVD or something, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Shut up, Lazyboy. I hate football.

Thank you for the story.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Thanks for the review, lazy!
smile.gif
I wish I could've stayed over for Slane 2... it sounds like it was awesome!

I wish ?500 was ALL I had spent so far... lol!
tongue.gif

So now, what you will do is start saving your heard-earned so you can come visit US for the 3rd leg...

Peace to you!

(Oh, and LMAO at "legging it".)

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Aww thanks tobe, ally, dougal, nicamom, rono, and crzy for taking the time to read it, and thanks for the nice comments
smile.gif

Pictures should be up here soon, well, I have 6 scanned from Slane2, and just sent em to Tobe. Thanks alot cons!

Ally, glad you enjoyed this stinking place
wink.gif
Hehe, nah, you picked the right time to come, ya even got the weather! And Slane! Well, can't get much better in Ireland I tell ya!

Dougal, lmao! Yep, I fooled them into chanting the name of an Interferencer
biggrin.gif
Hehe, it was gas anyway! Well, sheesh, nice to hear your comments about Slane, seeing as you have seen em so many times before. I heard guys coming out of Slane saying ZooTV was better, hmm, I can't imagine...

Nicamom, if they don't show either of the Slanes, or make a DVD or video, I will swim in the Liffey! And no prob about the review, hey, I upped the attendance of Slane2 by 1
tongue.gif

Rono, aww, come on! Ye beat us in a playoff in '96! And ye knocked us outta '94! Give us this one, support Cyprus tomorrow please! And get behind the Irish!

Crzy, hahaha! Did you get any use of your dodgy gobshitey lingo here in Ireland? Ya wanker!
wink.gif

Aww, thankyou thankyou thankyou Cons, or Tobe here
smile.gif
Well, there are some of the Slane2 pics I took, damn shitty disposable, but hey, they are alright. All taken from the Peak of the Heart. The 3rd one should be the best, lol, I stuck my hand forward and took the photo. Lol, Bono saw what I was doing, and the fact I was kinda above everyone, as the whole 6'6'' and me jumping and arms stretched out helps! Hehe, he laughed, and covered his face, you can just make it out there, shitty camera non flash thing. Ah well, there ye go.

Originally posted by lazyboy:
Crzy, hahaha! Did you get any use of your dodgy gobshitey lingo here in Ireland? Ya wanker!
wink.gif

Hey! Who you calling a wanker, wanker?
wink.gif
Naaah, actually I just collected some more lingo... it goes off a lot better here than there when I use it lol!

smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

great story, thanks for taking the time to post it!

I think my next vacation will be going back to Ireland to witness lazyboy swimming in the Liffey.

Do you know I actually saw people swimming in the Liffey? And no I wasn't drunk I swear (but maybe they were).

Hehe, thanks guys!
smile.gif
Well, lol fritzy and nicamom, no, I am quietly confident it won't come to that! Hell I hope not! I've seen the Liffey up close!
eek.gif
Yeah fritzy, it's wierd, people swim in it alot! They have to be pissed!

More pics on the way soon, thanks again Cons! You rock! I sent ya some Slane1 pics too.

A bite delayed because internet was down yesterday, but here they are:

%3B%3C%3B%3A86432323%7Ego4%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B68%3D399%3DXROQDF%3E2323273958352ot1lsi

%3B%3C%3B%3A86432323%7Ego4%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B68%3D399%3DXROQDF%3E2323273958356ot1lsi

%3B%3C%3B%3A86432323%7Ego4%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B68%3D399%3DXROQDF%3E2323273958355ot1lsi

%3B%3C%3B%3A86432323%7Ego4%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B68%3D399%3DXROQDF%3E2323273958354ot1lsi

%3B%3C%3B%3A86432323%7Ego4%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B68%3D399%3DXROQDF%3E2323273958353ot1lsi

%3B%3C%3B%3A86432323%7Ego4%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B68%3D399%3DXROQDF%3E2323273958357ot1lsi

Awww shit, thanks soo much for posting my pics Cons!
smile.gif

The latest ones, well, top is Slane2, lol, check out this pic
59.jpg
it was taken in that pic i took, so a picture of a picture been taken
confused.gif

Next2 pics are Slane1, a bit further back, 4th one is Chillis!!!! Hehe, that was when they got all the guys to swing our shirts in the air, mental!

The next is Slane2, and well, last one is from a different batch, my London pics.

Next ones..all London, well, except for the 3rd 1, which shows all the amazing amounts of room we had at Slane1
tongue.gif

and the last 1, also Slane2

Awwwwwwwwwww, the memories.........sniff

U2...3 Saturday nights in a row?...that sounds too heavenly.
You have the gift lazyboy, storytellers make this world a much better place...thanks.

Several of my friends are total, absolute Father Ted fans, we get together occassionally and have a mini-festival of reruns. I almost posted a query the other day to clear this point up, I considered it of such importance. Did Father Dougal perform My Lovely Horse with U2 as I first thought? and soccer on the big screen!!!! It was just too unimaginably good to be true. So he performed it with moby? Glad I've got that right now.
You made it more real for those of us who couldn't be there. Good luck to you and yours lazyboy.

------------------
"May the sweet light of rock and roll shine upon your soul."

Ahh,that's it ...
Oiche mhaith a Buchaill An-halainn
wink.gif
(yeah, I've seen something *hint hint*
tongue.gif
)
Look,I've finally made it to the forum ! Cause of Slane 2,couldn't resist ! Go raibh mile maith agat for an sceal an-hiontach
smile.gif

Slan go foill

Awesome !!!!

I will post my pics, as soon as i get them Scanned....I have some amazing shots...i took alot pics of the crowd because i was so amazed by all the people but hopefully i will get them scanned later in this week & post them.

Starr

Back
Top Bottom