Sir Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is hardly a surprise.

the most surprising thing is that it took them so long.

anyway, the title of this thread is misleading, since bono won't be allowed to use the 'sir'.

Last edited:
Axver said:
I'm really surprised that he's going to accept this.

i think he is at a point politically where he is unable to decline things like this.

yes, irish people have turned down nominations for knighthood in the past, but he is not exactly a freedom fighter in ireland. he is not "against" britain. he is "for" africa"

"A spokesman said the 46-year-old singer was flattered by the honor and hoped it will help him open diplomatic doors in his campaign for more Western aid to Africa."

obviously he will be criticized in certain quarters for accepting this. but that's nothing new! those people would be criticizing bono for something one way or another. it's what they do.

Axver said:
I'm really surprised that he's going to accept this.

me too, but as cg said at this point he can't turn it down. I wonder what the people of Ireland think of this.

I have a question...the article says that there is a statement on the bands website about this news...anyone w/membership, have you seen it on the website? Or is U2.com last to know?:wink:

(Courtesy of PeoplePC)
Saturday, December 23, 2006
DUBLIN, Ireland - Irish rocker and humanitarian Bono will become a knight of the British empire - but the U2 frontman won't be called "Sir."

Britain confirmed Saturday Bono will receive his honorary knighthood from the British ambassador to Ireland, David Reddaway, in a Dublin ceremony shortly after New Year's Day.

The Dubliner, whose real name is Paul Hewson, won't be entitled to use the title "Sir" because he is not a national of Britain or the Commonwealth of former British colonies.

A spokesman said the 46-year-old singer was flattered by the honor and hoped it will help him open diplomatic doors in his campaign for more Western aid to Africa.

In a letter to Bono released Saturday, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said the singer's lobbying had forced wealthy nations to focus on increasing aid to Africa.

"I know from talking to you how much these causes matter to you," Blair wrote. "I know as well how knowledgeable you are about the problems we face and how determined you are to do all you can to help overcome them. You have tirelessly used your voice to speak up for Africa."

Blair said he hoped to keep working with Bono "to work together to maintain momentum on Africa, and ensure leaders around the world meet the promises they have made."

The British Embassy in Dublin said the Irish government approved granting Bono the title. The issue is diplomatically sensitive, because Irish officials are legally barred from receiving British royal honors and other Irish nationals have refused nominations on political grounds. Ireland withdrew from the Commonwealth in 1949.

Previous non-British nationals who received knighthoods include Bono's fellow Dubliner and rocker-turned-humanitarian Bob Geldof, Bill Gates, the Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo, Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal, former New York Mayor Rudolf Giuliani, and Steven Spielberg.

I can't think of anyone who deserves it more :applaud:

Last edited:
It is currently the 1st thing listed on U2.com...

"23.12.2006
Bono to Receive Honorary Knighthood

The British Ambassador to Ireland, Mr David Reddaway, announced today that Bono is being awarded an honorary knighthood.

As Bono is Irish he is not entitled to the 'Sir' title, as a British national would be, and he can receive the award in a ceremony in Dublin. The award is being granted for his services to music and for his activism.

In 2003 Bono was presented with the Legion D'Honneur by President Jacques Chirac on behalf of the French Government, for his contribution to music and his campaigning work. Also in recognition of his work promoting justice and equality, Bono was awarded the Time Person of the Year 2005, along with Bill and Melinda Gates.

British honours are granted by The Queen, on advice from the British Government and previous non-British recipients include Bill Gates, Placido Domingo, Rudolf Giuliani, Steven Spielberg and Simon Wiesenthal.

We understand that Bono is 'very flattered' to be honoured, particularly if the honour - like its French counterpart - opens doors for his long standing campaigning work against extreme poverty in Africa."

I'm not sure when it 1st appeared though.

I think this is very cool. And I agree with MrPryck2U (I like your name :lmao: ) and cg above.

:up:

Last edited:
If they really want to honor him, they'll put their money where their mouths are in terms of what he stands for....:eyebrow:

But yes, it's been a long time coming!

From someone who doesn't know much about the process or the knighthood itself: Why is it surprising he would accept it?

It doesn't seem surprising to me. Bono's all about playing nice with others (including big government) these days.

Plus, he's already been knighted in France, right? He has every reason to accept it, he definately deserves it.

He deserves it, and it probably will give the irish people something new to bash about(so they can finally quit the dutch tax argument) so everybody happy :happy:

and U2.com made a mistake yet again....

In 2003 Bono was presented with the Legion D'Honneur by President Jacques Chirac on behalf of the French Government, for his contribution to music and his campaigning work.

means he got the league of honour..... they miss 'Chevalier de' in front of it... wich means knighthood... chevalier = knight...

Don't they refer to Bob Geldof as "Sir Bob" in the British Press? I seem to recall examples of them doing so

cg said:

i think he is at a point politically where he is unable to decline things like this.

yes, irish people have turned down nominations for knighthood in the past, but he is not exactly a freedom fighter in ireland. he is not "against" britain. he is "for" africa"

"A spokesman said the 46-year-old singer was flattered by the honor and hoped it will help him open diplomatic doors in his campaign for more Western aid to Africa."

obviously he will be criticized in certain quarters for accepting this. but that's nothing new! those people would be criticizing bono for something one way or another. it's what they do.

And it's not like he'll be going to Buckingham Palance, getting tapped on the shoulders with a sword by the Queen:
The 46-year-old will receive the honour in Dublin early in the new year.

British ambassador David Reddaway will conduct the ceremony.

The embassy said the agreement of the Irish government was sought and granted for the Dublin-born singer to be honoured.

thcheering.gif
thcheering.gif
thcheering.gif

3 cheers for Bono!!

Back
Top Bottom