Sir Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

And next tour, U2 will go on stage dressed as the Beatles and perform One plus twenty Beatles covers, one of which is now known as Window In The Skies ...

how awesome would that be :drool:

Technically, Adam Clayton is the only one who can be a proper knight, and be called Sir Adam Clayton

</tidbit>

gu3st said:
Technically, Adam Clayton is the only one who can be a proper knight, and be called Sir Adam Clayton

</tidbit>

As well as the Edge as he was born in Barking, East London....Sir The Edge...lol!

It would be nice to see the Queen someday bestow an order on the entire band, Paul McGuinness included.

The ROP (Royal Order of PLEBA) :)

Last edited:
Saw this on the Times site http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2518727,00.html

Bono, the Irish rock star and anti-poverty campaigner, is to be granted an honorary knighthood in the New Year’s Honours. But is this the same man who once sang with his band U2: “Nothing changes on New Year’s Day”?

Debate erupted on U2 internet forums over whether Bono was betraying his ideals. “Accepting this award is supporting monarchy. Monarchy goes against everything Bono has been preaching the last 26 years. Bono talks about how we should all consider each other equal, regardless of where and when we were born,” wrote one fan. “This angry young anti-Establishment Bono is long gone,” added another.
Shows someone reads the forums :wink: Was it from Interference? Sounds vaguely familiar but I can't be bothered to wade through all the pages.

Greenlight said:
Saw this on the Times site http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2518727,00.html

Bono, the Irish rock star and anti-poverty campaigner, is to be granted an honorary knighthood in the New Year’s Honours. But is this the same man who once sang with his band U2: “Nothing changes on New Year’s Day”?

Debate erupted on U2 internet forums over whether Bono was betraying his ideals. “Accepting this award is supporting monarchy. Monarchy goes against everything Bono has been preaching the last 26 years. Bono talks about how we should all consider each other equal, regardless of where and when we were born,” wrote one fan. “This angry young anti-Establishment Bono is long gone,” added another.
Shows someone reads the forums :wink: Was it from Interference? Sounds vaguely familiar but I can't be bothered to wade through all the pages.
the bold thing is from here, the rest I don't think that literally, but might be in other words :hmm:

Greenlight said:

U2Man said:
well, accepting this award is supporting monarchy. monarchy goes against EVERYTHING bono has been preaching the last 26 years. bono talks about how we should all consider eachother equal, regardless of where and when we were born. what monarchy tells you is that people are NOT equal.

It's kind of hard to say whether Bono is really betraying anything or not. You could make good arguments on both sides. I'm just glad he won't have "Sir" in front of his name because "Sir Bono" sounds ridiculous.

Bono's shades said:
It's kind of hard to say whether Bono is really betraying anything or not. You could make good arguments on both sides. I'm just glad he won't have "Sir" in front of his name because "Sir Bono" sounds ridiculous.

it wouldn't be Sir Bono, since Bono ain't his real name.... it would've been Sir Paul Hewson...

I brought up the Irish- British controversy on the PLEBA thread and it dropped like a lead zeppelin :reject: I did hear him say before that no Irishman should ever accept a knighthood from the British monarchy because of the past history. I would be surprised if he'd compromise those values now.

I have no comment on the British/Irish thing and like both countries very much, I am just saying it would be a shock to see him do this after the way he's always felt. Then again I never saw him moving the business office out of Ireland to save taxes, either. He cares so much about other countries, his taxes could be considered a good donation to the poor of his own country. Ballymun towers, anyone?

okay :rant: over.

U2Kitten said:
I did hear him say before that no Irishman should ever accept a knighthood from the British monarchy because of the past history. I would be surprised if he'd compromise those values now.

Do you have a source for that? I wasn't aware he'd ever said anything about the subject. I could be wrong, though.

Galeongirl said:

it wouldn't be Sir Bono, since Bono ain't his real name.... it would've been Sir Paul Hewson...

I didn't think of that. In any case, putting "Sir" in front of someone's name, no matter what it is, smacks of elitism and snobbery to me, and I'm glad he won't even have "Sir" in front of the real name he never uses.

"well, accepting this award is supporting monarchy. monarchy goes against EVERYTHING bono has been preaching the last 26 years. bono talks about how we should all consider eachother equal, regardless of where and when we were born. what monarchy tells you is that people are NOT equal."

:cute:

Back
Top Bottom