singles album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00Kevin

War Child
should u2 come out with a compilation of just their singles like the beatles did with pastmaster vol. 1 and 2. I'd get any album with 11 O'Clock Tic Toc and hold me thrill me kiss me kill me, but that's just my opinion

It would be cool if they came out with a compilation of A-sides that aren't on any offcial albums, as well as singles-only radio edits/mixes. For the 1990's-2000's, they could release:

1) Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (single version)
2) Numb (radio edit)
3) Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
4) Miss Sarajevo
5) Discotheque (single version)
6) Staring At The Sun (single version)
7) Last Night On Earth (single version)
8) If God Will Send His Angels (single version)
9) Please (single version)
10) The Sweetest Thing
11) The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12) Elevation (Tomb Raider)
13) Stuck In A MOment (acoustic)
14) Walk ON (single version)
15) Electrical Storm (original mix)
16) The Hands That Built America
17) City of Blinding Lights (radio edit)
18) OOTS (whatever the new mix turns out to be...)

Bonus: Night and Day

That would be a damn fine compilation, if you ask me.

Last edited:
starvinmarvin said:
It would be cool if they came out with a compilation of A-sides that aren't on any offcial albums, as well as singles-only radio edits/mixes. For the 1990's-2000's, they could release:

1) Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (single version)
2) Numb (radio edit)
3) Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
4) Miss Sarajevo
5) Discotheque (single version)
6) Staring At The Sun (single version)
7) Last Night On Earth (single version)
8) If God Will Send His Angels (single version)
9) Please (single version)
10) The Sweetest Thing
11) The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12) Elevation (Tomb Raider)
13) Stuck In A MOment (acoustic)
14) Walk ON (single version)
15) Electrical Storm (original mix)
16) The Hands That Built America
17) City of Blinding Lights (radio edit)
18) OOTS (whatever the new mix turns out to be...)

That would be a damn fine compilation, if you ask me.

I"d buy it

I would LOVE an eighties collection of all the songs that didn't appear on any albums or the Best Of b-sides disc. That would be so amazingly worth it. :drool:

Axver said:
I would LOVE an eighties collection of all the songs that didn't appear on any albums or the Best Of b-sides disc. That would be so amazingly worth it. :drool:

Hey Axver, could you compile us an 80's singles/EP compilation?

Just the A-sides that differ from the album versions (i.e. radio edits or different mixes). Also any songs on EP's, or promo singles, or songs that appear on collections like soundtracks. No B-sides though, that's already been done.

Using this method there are more than enough songs to make a killer 90's-2000's collection, but since I don't know as much about the 80's I was wondering if a good 80's collection is also possible.

For a start...

New Year's Day(Edit - has become the universally known version, album version is longer and lesser known)
Pride(Single Version)
Where The Streets Have No Name(Single Version)
Desire(Hollywood Remix)
All I Want Is You(Edit)
Wild Irish Rose
Love Comes Tumbling(WAIA EP)
The Three Sunrises(WAIA EP)

ADWM, IWF, Gloria, SBS, TUF, Still Haven't Found, WOWY, Angel were all identical to their album counterparts I believe.

In chronological order, this is what you have to work with simply off my memory:

1. Out Of Control (U2:3 version)
2. Stories For Boys (U2:3 version)
3. Boy/Girl (U2:3)
4. Another Day
5. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
6. The Three Sunrises
7. Love Comes Tumbling
8. All I Want Is You (radio edit)

I can't think of other stuff, though I think there's different edits of NYD and THBAO floating around. And I firmly believe that b-sides such as Things To Make And Do, Touch, and the single version of Twilight need to make it to CD (as they're only available on vinyl and cassette at the moment).

namkcuR said:
For a start...

New Year's Day(Edit - has become the universally known version, album version is longer and lesser known)
Pride(Single Version)
Where The Streets Have No Name(Single Version)
Desire(Hollywood Remix)
All I Want Is You(Edit)
Wild Irish Rose
Love Comes Tumbling(WAIA EP)
The Three Sunrises(WAIA EP)

ADWM, IWF, Gloria, SBS, TUF, Still Haven't Found, WOWY, Angel were all identical to their album counterparts I believe.

hey, is the Hollywood Remix of Desire any good? I've never haerd it before...

starvinmarvin said:

hey, is the Hollywood Remix of Desire any good? I've never haerd it before...

Yeah, it's good. Have you ever heard Desire live on any ZooTV show? You know how they played it more electric there? That's what the Hollywood Remix is like.

Axver said:
In chronological order, this is what you have to work with simply off my memory:

1. Out Of Control (U2:3 version)
2. Stories For Boys (U2:3 version)
3. Boy/Girl (U2:3)
4. Another Day
5. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
6. The Three Sunrises
7. Love Comes Tumbling
8. All I Want Is You (radio edit)

I can't think of other stuff, though I think there's different edits of NYD and THBAO floating around. And I firmly believe that b-sides such as Things To Make And Do, Touch, and the single version of Twilight need to make it to CD (as they're only available on vinyl and cassette at the moment).

The single version of Twilight is great! Haven't heard Touch before though.

Hey Axver, what's the story behind Traesure? That song is great. Is it a b-side? If so, I can't believe it wasn't on the Best Of B-Side collection

starvinmarvin said:

The single version of Twilight is great! Haven't heard Touch before though.

Hey Axver, what's the story behind Traesure? That song is great. Is it a b-side? If so, I can't believe it wasn't on the Best Of B-Side collection

It's a NYD b-side, I believe.

namkcuR said:

Yeah, it's good. Have you ever heard Desire live on any ZooTV show? You know how they played it more electric there? That's what the Hollywood Remix is like.

I'll have to check it out. I don't really like the effect on Edge's gfuitar on the Zoo TV version, but other than that its pretty good.

Miricale_Drug said:
i've got all of them except SATS single version (Xcept OOTS obviously) anyone want to trade it for one of the others/ davidballard@hotmail.co.uk

Staring At The Sun didn't have a Single Version. It was a single, but the version on it was the same as the album version. This was the only single from Pop where the version on the single was the same as the one on the album.

starvinmarvin said:

Treasure was originally Pete The Chop, a song played before the release of Boy - and the last pre-Boy song to be played live to the best of our knowledge. It was then held onto as a sure-fire single should U2's career dive. Instead, it was reinvented with different lyrics as Treasure and appeared as the b-side on the NYD single.

Axver said:

Treasure was originally Pete The Chop, a song played before the release of Boy - and the last pre-Boy song to be played live to the best of our knowledge. It was then held onto as a sure-fire single should U2's career dive. Instead, it was reinvented with different lyrics as Treasure and appeared as the b-side on the NYD single.

Is the original Pete The Chop as good as Treasure? Because Treasure does sound like it could have almost been an A-side. Not quite, but almost....

Popmartijn said:

Staring At The Sun didn't have a Single Version. It was a single, but the version on it was the same as the album version. This was the only single from Pop where the version on the single was the same as the one on the album.

Hmm...I thought SATS was a slightly different mix on the single. Could be wrong though :wink:

starvinmarvin said:

Is the original Pete The Chop as good as Treasure? Because Treasure does sound like it could have almost been an A-side. Not quite, but almost....

I personally think Treasure's the better song. Pete The Chop's really good though (if you're into pre-Boy stuff).

Axver said:

Treasure was originally Pete The Chop, a song played before the release of Boy - and the last pre-Boy song to be played live to the best of our knowledge.

Incorrect.
11 O'Clock Tick Tock is the last pre-Boy song to be played live. It was even played live on the last tour, four years ago. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom