Single remixes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Why are so many U2 songs remixed from their album state when they are sold as singles (eg. Walk On, Elevation, etc)? I mean is it really necessary?

And, I know a lot of you are going to disagree here, but don't a lot of us buy albums based on the singles it yields? So isn't it a bit, well, deceiving when the single doesn't actually sound like the album version? You could argue that some remixes sound nearly identical to the album version so why bother remixing it? If they want to try out new ideas for the song put it as a B-side or better yet, save it for live shows.

because it increases sales. most casual listeners won't notice the remixes anyways, while hard core fans will be duped into buying it because it's something they don't already have.

They just weren't happy with the after-effect I guess, i dunno

Like Wild Horses, the Pop songs, Stuck in a Moment, etc.

And you know I can't think of a single version that I prefer over the album version. There are some that I like as an alternate version (eg Wild Horses), but none that I like over and above the album versions.

Earnie Shavers said:
And you know I can't think of a single version that I prefer over the album version. There are some that I like as an alternate version (eg Wild Horses), but none that I like over and above the album versions.

Really? Not even 'Please'? That solo is one of Edge's finest moments.

:yes: I love album Please :drool:, but single version is heaps better. In that case it was worth remixing, but sadly, most of the time it isn't.

When we get back to his place he puts on U2's new CD, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Bono sings, karaoke-style, along with it.

The Edge is looking solemn and worried. "Look at him," says Bono. "He's going through all those mixes, assessing it all in his head."

A little evidence to support the "go back and make it better" theory. I guess it's all up to opinion whether they are actually improving anything though.

Back
Top Bottom