Simple Minds forum vs. The U2 debate... again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FungusAmongus

War Child
There's an interesting debate/argument that some Simple Minds fans are having about U2 over on the Simple Minds board (well, the one to replace the official board, since its now gone.) And its getting quite strange and negative, to say the least... and some things are being painfully twisted out of context. Its been going on over there for years, sadly.

A member requested that perhaps someone from this board or wherever should come on there and represent the other side a bit.

I attempted, as I always do... but it got nowhere.
I usually stay out of this crap, but I think some people on here may be more equipped at explaining things than me... I'm too unstable, grammatically, mentally, and... in whatever other way to do so properly. LOL!!!!!!!

You gotta register on the board first.... but here's the link if you decide to check it out.

http://www.sosimpleminded.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873

FungusAmongus said:
There's an interesting debate/argument that some Simple Minds fans are having about U2 over on the Simple Minds board (well, the one to replace the official board, since its now gone.) And its getting quite strange and negative, to say the least... and some things are being painfully twisted out of context. Its been going on over there for years, sadly.

A member requested that perhaps someone from this board or wherever should come on there and represent the other side a bit.

I attempted, as I always do... but it got nowhere.
I usually stay out of this crap, but I think some people on here may be more equipped at explaining things than me... I'm too unstable, grammatically, mentally, and... in whatever other way to do so properly. LOL!!!!!!!

You gotta register on the board first.... but here's the link if you decide to check it out.

http://www.sosimpleminded.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873
Geeze, that's some thread mate!

So FungusAmongus, did you sign up on the Simple Minds forum as just Fungus (since in their forum rules FAQ they say they prefer people use their real first names)?

I'd sign up just to read the thread you mentioned, but I don't want to use my real name (too boring) and I don't want them thinking my other choice is too "cryptic" and changing it. :(

ultravioletluvv said:
Simple Minds has a fan board? Um, they haven't had a hit (at least in the U.S.) in over 20 years...

Oh please. I'm not a Simple minds fan (never have been), but there are a lot of excellent bands out there (many with fan boards) that have had few if any hits. Excellence and commercial success are not mutually exclusive by any means.

indra said:

Oh please. I'm not a Simple minds fan (never have been), but there are a lot of excellent bands out there (many with fan boards) that have had few if any hits. Excellence and commercial success are not mutually exclusive by any means.

I knew somebody would say it... You are correct.... I was just being sarcastic... :wink:

some simple minds fans started a poll about U2. regarding if they've lost it or not, or if bono's ego gets in the way, or if they hate them and find them very overrated... and luckily, the poll choice of "brilliant band, they are one of the greatest bands in the last 30 years" got the most votes.

anyways.. it started into a whole bash fest about bono's (supposedly negative, as they claim it) ego, and how he's turned into an evil Bush administration inside buddy conspiracy theory,. how u2 lost it after Joshua Tree and everything else including Achtung Baby was shit (this pissed me off majorly), how this latest tour was complete shit.. and other various things taken way out of context.

Many comments about how Bono needs to "shut up and play the music and stop talking about Africa", and "How it doesnt matter anyway because the music has always been so empty and cheesy to begin with... no matter what album.."

Some negative things said about Bob Geldof and Bono refered to as "Bongo" on severeal occasions.

Its mainly regarding Bono's political stance on things.... and if his intentions are true or not, and if so.. is he going about it the wrong way?

I made some points, but as usual.. I dont think i say it good enough, and just get ignored.

I dont know.. the entire thread pissed me off... and especially the one guy on there. Actually this seems to be one of the less harsh discussions on there that I've seen compared to the other ones.
Quite sad place, really.

Just that, it'd be interesting if some people.. from our side here.. the u2 side, could explain things a little more clearer to these people. seems im doing a shitty job at it.

Simple Minds have a new album out and are on tour right now... and they used to have an official message board but they rmeoved the board for some odd reason.

And yes, I go as SonicFungus on this forum...

the u2 hate threads that take place on these simple minds boards really really tick me off.

i am a simple minds fan.. and do occasionally post on their boards.. but when i start seeing this crap... (it seems to happen every other day on that board.. the Simple Minds yahoo group, etc...) and its pissing me, and a few others off.

but then again, its probably a lost cause anyway, because, they will think what they wanna think no matter what.

FungusAmongus said:

I often call Interference the simple minds board! :hyper:

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Fuck 'em.

When Jim Kerr starts making a difference, or making music that anyone listens to again, then we'll talk.

I know that's harsh, but really, who are these fans to criticize U2 and Bono? What has their band done lately on either front?

as a simple minds fan... (now..remember, as most of you know.. U2 is my #1 band... so no questions about that) , i will say i feel that the Minds have possibly tried too hard to be like U2...

i know both bands are good friends and all, but... i think theres some jealousy going on among Minds fans.
im just sick of seeing it everytime i go onto any of their boards.

if they wanna criticize Atomic Bomb (which i think is fucking brilliant), then fine.. because the new Minds album i think is total bland shit... and should look at that instead.
minus one or two songs... that are so-so. but if any band has "lost it".. its the Minds. certainly not u2.

then again, its my opinion, but i think SM's lost the plot.

so....

as for bono "sucking up to politicians", i'd say, no, i dont like the fact that he does that.. and could possibly go about it another way, but i respect his cause and feel he is very genuine in his motives.. and honestly doesnt care for Bush, etc.. but hes gotta do what hes gotta do. and if it will work in the end.. then even more power to him. bono is a brilliant, smart man.. so i feel he knows what hes doing.
so, it doesnt really bother me anymore.

Last edited:
FungusAmongus:

You are saying Simple Minds copy U2 and are U2 wannabes?
How can you say that?

I do not think Simple Minds copy U2. (nor do i think U2 copied Simple Minds) They just happened to be around and starting at the same time, and they toured together and thats it.
Why the comparison?

I just do not see Simple Minds copying them. I can see similarities though, but doesn't mean anyone is copying.

Also, why do a lot of you make fun of Dont You Forget About Me?
They have other songs you know.

I know they're a fan. Ive seen they're posts on u2.com about it sometimes when they are brought up. But thats not my point.

But why say Simple Minds is copying?

Everyone always says Simple Minds copy U2..

I say shaaah la la la la... la la la la... la la la la la la la la la la" - Simple Minds "Don't You Forget About Me". - 1985

" Hey hey sha la la" - U2 Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - circa early 90's

I think the verdict is in...............

Chill out. It's no big deal.

With the last two Minds' albums, I feel that they are losing the plot, yes. I wasn't exactly bashing Simple Minds. As some of you know, I am a fan and always will be. I just don't like the direction they are going into. Just seems like they are just going with the flow for the sake of it.

And when I said they copied U2, or are trying to hard to be like them, yeah... before I think they were. Around the Once Upon a Time period, 1985-1987...
They just sort of went overboard with it, and it backfired.
But on this Simple Minds board, the fans are blaming U2 for SM's downfall(which makes no logical sense to me), and claiming u2's latest album is trash, when well... thats bullshit. They should look at what SM's been doing instead. Its sad to see a good band, whos lead singer was an amazing songwriter, just settle for something less. for whatever reason.
I understand they may be going through a period of writers block or lack of energy, okay.. but the album before this was out of control. They joined up with some musicians to co-write it, and it was quite... sad to say the least. I just feel they have lowered themselves to something that they once set out to never become.

Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. I really shouldn't have started this thread. Wasnt meant to be like this.

Also, I more so meant that SM jumped the whole bandwagon back around that period. I was using that to make a point regarding the SM vs. u2 screamfest on their forum. LOL

FungusAmongus said:
Chill out. It's no big deal.

With the last two Minds' albums, I feel that they are losing the plot, yes. I wasn't exactly bashing Simple Minds. As some of you know, I am a fan and always will be. I just don't like the direction they are going into. Just seems like they are just going with the flow for the sake of it.

And when I said they copied U2, or are trying to hard to be like them, yeah... before I think they were. Around the Once Upon a Time period, 1985-1987...
They just sort of went overboard with it, and it backfired.
But on this Simple Minds board, the fans are blaming U2 for SM's downfall(which makes no logical sense to me), and claiming u2's latest album is trash, when well... thats bullshit. They should look at what SM's been doing instead. Its sad to see a good band, whos lead singer was an amazing songwriter, just settle for something less. for whatever reason.
I understand they may be going through a period of writers block or lack of energy, okay.. but the album before this was out of control. They joined up with some musicians to co-write it, and it was quite... sad to say the least. I just feel they have lowered themselves to something that they once set out to never become.

Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. I really shouldn't have started this thread. Wasnt meant to be like this.

I think the new Simple Minds album is great.

I don't feel like everyone yellin' at me anymore.

:sad: :(

Closed per thread starter's request...

And boy, someone is REALLY on a roll tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom