Simple Minds and U2.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Simple Minds and U2....

As most know, both of these bands are good friends.. especially Bono and Simple Minds lead singer, Jim Kerr.

Has anyone here ever met Jim before? Or know anyone that has. If so, what's he like in person?

Also, how did both bands become friends, or meet anyway?

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:28 AM
I can't answer your question but I'm tempted to go...

Don't you... forget about me
Don't don't don't don't...

Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 AM   #3
War Child

I heard that Jim Kerr said something about Bono being full of shit because he talks to politicians. I don't think you can call that a friendly thing to say.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Adam'sbaby
I heard that Jim Kerr said something about Bono being full of shit because he talks to politicians. I don't think you can call that a friendly thing to say.
Thats the scottish for you
Old 03-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:28 PM
I met Jim and Charlie in 2002 when they were on tour in the U.S. Very nice guys, they appreciate their fans in a similiar way that U2 does. If you get the chance to see them live, go, you wont be disappointed.

Regarding Jim and Bono, they are friends, but I dont think they are super close friends. They met because they were both the up and coming bands at the same time around 1982. They played several festivals together and it developed from there.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Jim Kerr was giving Bono shit because he was seen with Tony Blair, and he thought he was warming up to the wrong people.

Yet, I'm still convinced that they are really good friends, as most adults can disagree and even give each other a lot of shit and get over it. Bono and Geldof have had a few spats here and there, but they remain great friends.

If you are in the public eye doing what Bono is doing, you are bound to piss some people off, even your friends.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:28 PM
That drumming in Don't You Forget About Me (?) before the laa da da daa part is nice
Old 03-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
The Fly

canadiens160: you do realize that the band has other songs than Dont You Forget About Me, right? they didnt even write that song, and i dont even think they like it. none of their other music is like that song. in fact, they are very very similar to U2..., at least for during a certain time period...

maybe you should check out their other.. oh 15 albums before making a judgement just based on that thing.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
Refugee

In the music industry it is easy to make friends with others as most are at the same events
Old 03-15-2005, 04:08 PM   #10
The Fly

I've never seen a picture of bono and Jim kerr on stage but i have a song in mp3 of a simple minds concert in glasgow 85. He introduces bono during the middle of the song "all the way from dublin...bono!" and he starts singing. something like that. I don't know if they are still friends but back then i'm sure they were. The song is new gold dream.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #11
The Fly

Wow...Simple Minds causing a ruckus on the boards...we've officially run out of things to argue about.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #12
The Fly

well, supposedly they used to spend a lot of time together... bono and ali spending time at Jim's parents house, and stuff like that. there was even a time when jim lived right next door to bono, or so i heard. bono invites the guys in Simple Minds to their shows a lot, and vice versa.

bono's even done a cover of some Minds songs, or at least some lines.

they sound so much alike sometimes though. not sure if it was both bands sharing producers or what, but daaaamn.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

RobH, who is arguing or causing a ruckus about anything? The post is about Simple Minds and how Jim Kerr is friends with Bono. One person mentioned that Jim said some critical things of Bono recently. But that was not the purpose or point of the thread from what I can tell??
Old 03-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by greenslimer

they sound so much alike sometimes though. not sure if it was both bands sharing producers or what, but daaaamn.
They have some similiar sounds. The song that stands out to me is GhostDancing, the guitar riff is similiar to Streets with the chiming. Alot of U2 fans think Simple Minds copied U2 or were trying to emulate them with it. Problem is GhostDancing was written in 1984 and released in 1985 BEFORE Streets obviously. I dont think either copy each other though and I'm not implying that. I just think they had some similiar influences and styles in the 80's. Both are great bands IMO.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by greenslimer
canadiens160: you do realize that the band has other songs than Dont You Forget About Me, right? they didnt even write that song, and i dont even think they like it. none of their other music is like that song. in fact, they are very very similar to U2..., at least for during a certain time period...

maybe you should check out their other.. oh 15 albums before making a judgement just based on that thing.
I don't think canadiens160 is making a judgement on the band at all. She merely mentioned (I think it's a she, sorry if I got it wrong ) that she loves the drumming in that part of the song, that's all. And so do I. Actually, I haven't heard anything of theirs either apart from DYFAM and She's A River () from 1993.