Simple Minds and U2....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that intro from waterfront is really something.
simple minds were great in the 80's.
jim kerr's delicate voice was (maybe still is) lovely.

Has anyone else here ever met Jim Kerr and the guys?

Sorry for the sort of off-topic question there, just been curious. Simple Minds are my favorite band, U2 the second, but I see them both as my number 1 technically.

Check out Simple minds' Neapolis. It's very Zoo ropaish. Simple Minds are awesome and any U2 fan should check them out, The press twisted something Kerr said about Bono into a controversial quote, but the bands are allies.

greenslimer said:
Axver: These two shows took place on January 4th and 5th, 1985 at the Glasgow Barrowlands.

I have both on audio and it's spectacular... and kind of humorous at the same time. Bono sounds so excited to be there and so does Jim and it's quite cute. They mix a little bit of the Door's "Light My Fire" into the "New Gold Dream" song.

In 2001, U2 did a couple of lines to Simple Minds "Up On The Catwalk" song during "Elevation"...
Also very excellent.

There is also a rumor that Bono also appeared in their video for "Up On The Catwalk" back in 1983-84, wearing a mask, walking on the catwalk behind the band. It sure does look like his side profile (hair and nose included) and that "Bono walk" he does. lol. He's uh... pretty easily identifiable, lol... but then again it could have been someone purposely trying to look like him.
Anyone know anything concrete on this?

When u2 played the barras in 84 Bono sang some lines of "up on the catwalk" during " a sort of homecoming.
If you look in Pimms book you can see a picture of Bono & Charlie Burchill at the Barras.

If you go to Simple Minds official site you can read Jim Kerrs Journal, If its still there. He talks about playing with u2 at some euro festivals and how him & Bono shared a car journey back to the hotel, Ali was there and he talks about the smell in the car and how she must have felt.
He still holds Bono in high regard and just because the maybe havent saw each other for a while doesnt mean there are still not friends.
Wasnt Jim Kerr part of a video tribute at the Brits or something when u2 won some brit award.

Celticfc: Yeah, when U2 was inducted to the UK Hall of Fame (?), Jim either inducted them (via pre-recorded video), or made some speech about them. I'm not sure which one he did.
I'm not from the UK, so I am not too sure on what happened.

Last edited:
Axver said:

cardosino, could you possibly help with some details on a setlist site I co-administrate? I presume this is one of the Glasgow shows you're talking about. Bono appeared at another for the same song? What was the date for that show? I'd like to add it to the database.

They did 3 nights at the barras, I believe it was Jan 2nd, 4th and 5th.

Bono showed up at the latter 2.

Axver said:

Great, thanks! :up: Just added the 4 January show. Did they do the Doors snippet on both nights or if it was only one, which one? And at what show did the Simple Minds snippet occur during 2001?

He did more the 2nd night, but definitely did a bit of light my fire the first night too

cardosino said:

He did more the 2nd night, but definitely did a bit of light my fire the first night too

Actually the performance from that night is on The Simple Minds boxset.
They've appeared together over the years. At the 83 Torhout Festival (Which both bands played) Jim came onstage during Gloria and he and Bono sang a few verses from "Someone Somewhere In Summertime".

Now as far as the Ghostdancing/I Travel bit. Ghostdancing is a rewrite of I Travel. Simple Minds had a tendency to drastically rearrange songs for live performances. For their 3 Early 85 Barrowlands performances (the same ones Bono appeared at) the shows were recorded officially and were intended for a live album (which was shelved.) Most of the songs were completely rearranged. I Travel was in fact completely rewritten instrumentally. The music for this was later used for Ghostdancing. The biggest similarity is in the first verses for both songs.

I Travel: "Cities, Buldings Falling Down. Ideal Homes Falling Down"

Ghostdancing: "Cities, Buildings Falling Down. Satellites Come Crashing Down"

I always found the comparisons to the bands rather unfair. Personally early on I always felt Simple Minds were a much better band than U2. Then The Unforgettable Fire came out and I think U2 edged ahead, while Simple Minds eventually made a rebound with "Street Fighting Years" (An album I cannot recommend enough. Any U2 fan would adore it.) However in the 90s U2 just left Simple Minds in the dust when it came to good material.

Alot of people forget that Simple Minds was a huge band back in the 80s, just as big as U2 at one point. U2 was just lucky enough to get bigger American success.

U2's strength was always how the core band has stuck together.

Simple Minds hasn't been as fortunate as U2 in their lineup. Albeit I think they had a MUCH better rhythm section than U2.

What can I say? I love both bands.

I met Jim Kerr back in 1986, i think it was and he was very nice towards the fans who were waiting for him at the local radio station in Glasgow - Radio Clyde! :wink:

susanp6 said:
I met Jim Kerr back in 1986, i think it was and he was very nice towards the fans who were waiting for him at the local radio station in Glasgow - Radio Clyde! :wink:

I have heard nothing but pleasant things about each of the band members.
In fact Michael MacNeil frequently responds to emails, and participates on the messageboard at his official site.

Wow! Michael MacNeil eh! There's a name i haven't heard mentioned in a while! The guy from the island of Barra!

That's really great of him! :wink:

The new Simple Minds album should be out around September 12.

If there are any U2 fans here who have never listened to Street Fighting Years, you MUST check it out. The album is brilliant, and the title song might just be the most beautiful song of all time.

Not a big pop hit, though. Go figure.

If any of you have ever wished that U2 had recorded more songs and albums in the 80's, check out New Gold Dream, Sparkle In The Rain, and Once Upon A Time. Some of the sounds are very similar.

And I agree with Skwege about Simple Minds being unlucky with their band lineup. If they could have stayed together during the 90's, they'd be a far bigger band than what they are today.

Street Fighting Years and Nw Gold Dream and Sparkle in the Rain ae all very U2-ish. I believe one of Bono's favorite albums of The MInds is New Gold Dream. He's even done some live covers of their stuff on regular U2 tours.

Does anyone know what Bono has said (if anything) in response to Jim Kerr's disagreement to Bono's "being friendly with creepy politicians"? It made pretty big news. :huh:

MattFromNYC said:
Street Fighting Years and Nw Gold Dream and Sparkle in the Rain ae all very U2-ish. I believe one of Bono's favorite albums of The MInds is New Gold Dream. He's even done some live covers of their stuff on regular U2 tours.

Does anyone know what Bono has said (if anything) in response to Jim Kerr's disagreement to Bono's "being friendly with creepy politicians"? It made pretty big news. :huh:

Bono probably thought the same thing as any other common sense individual. That Jim had the right to his opinion, and that the press completely blew it out of proportion.

Bono has stated several times that his friends, even his fellow U2 bandmates, have chastised him for hanging with certain politicians.

Indeed, for a while there, things looked "rough". I even cringed a few times.

However, Bono's charm is inescapable and his work ethic is beyond reproach. Clearly those meetings from '99-'02 have been producing results.

As such, we don't hear or see much negative sentiment towards Bono on these issues any more. People not only realize that he's serious, but more importantly, it's working. And that's ultimately the real goal.

As for Simple Minds - loved 'em in the 80's. Kinda wish they'd come back strong now.

I like some of Simple Minds music but the lead singer seems to be kind of an ass, for the most part. So full of Sh!+ his eyes stink.

U2 and Simple Minds seemed to be equals for a while in the early 80's, but looking back I feel that U2's music from that period has dated a lot better.

financeguy said:
U2 and Simple Minds seemed to be equals for a while in the early 80's, but looking back I feel that U2's music from that period has dated a lot better.

One of the problems with how SM music has aged, is alot of it was politically motivated. However unlike U2, it was much more centered around contemporary events.
For example obviously a song like Pride was about Dr King. Which gives it a much more timeless feeling as it wasnt explicitly about the Civil Rights movement, it was about Dr Kings dream which is always a timeless thing. It can still resonate with people today.
A Minds song like "Mandela Day" or "Ghostdancing" centralize around Apartheid. Albeit still being great songs, most young people today aren't as familiar with how horrible the Apartheid Regime was, and it just doesnt resonate with them.
That having been said their early pre-Sparkle In The Rain albums Life In A Day, Real To Real Cacophony, Empires & Dance, Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call, and New Gold Dream have aged quite well. Alot of the credit should go to the phenomenal instrumentations and excellent production.

On a purely technical level, Simple Minds were a much better band than U2. U2's strength lies in the lyrics, and the four members dedication to one another.
If Derek Forbes and Michael MacNeil had never left Simple Minds, I imagine the band would still do reasonably well today. They both offered to rejoin recently, but for some odd reason Jim Kerr never followed up on it.

BONO'ppetit said:
I like some of Simple Minds music but the lead singer seems to be kind of an ass, for the most part. So full of Sh!+ his eyes stink.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that?

BONO'ppetit said:
I was reading an interview he did some time ago. He rubbed me the wrong way. But I still like him.

Well he is an egomaniac. Like almost every other rockstar.
His problem is that he isnt selling out Milton Keynes, or Wembley Stadium anymore, so it kind of is funny when he acts like he is still one of the worlds biggest rockstars (which for a period he was)

Skwege said:

Well he is an egomaniac. Like almost every other rockstar.
His problem is that he isnt selling out Milton Keynes, or Wembley Stadium anymore, so it kind of is funny when he acts like he is still one of the worlds biggest rockstars (which for a period he was)

Oddly, I never thought of him as being a serious egomaniac. Seems they're pretty much just doing the music for fun and also doing other side things, at the same time without going out looking for popularity. Just my opinion, and especially after reading his numerous official website Journals. He can be taken the wrong way... but is a cool guy... just like Bono. People get the wrong impression if they dont get to know the deeper part of the person.

MattFromNYC said:

people get the wrong impression if they dont get to know the deeper part of the person.
And that's hard to do when you come across as a jerk sometimes. I never see Bono act like that and you see the 'deeper part of him'.

Bono can act like a complete jerk sometimes. He has one of the biggest egos in showbusiness.

Jim is a bit more demure but still in possession of a healthy sized ego. All popstars are.

im not sure how bono exactly acts like a jerk.. but others seem to say so. if anything, he just acts like a kind, funny guy... who is sure of himself and where hes going. whats wrong with that? hows that a jerk? a jerk is someone who treats people like shit... bono doesnt seem that way.

beli said:
lol. Im not looking for an argument.

PS Do you know when simpleminds.com is reopening? I miss it.

Unfortunately I dont know. It'll probably reopen in late summer by the time the new album nears release.

If you need a Simple Minds fix, go purchas the new DVD-Audio of New Gold Dream. it features the album remixed in 5.1, with a previously unreleased bonus track In Every Heaven, as well as the videos for Glittering Prize, and Promised You A Miracle.
The original Stereo Mix of New Gold Dream is also available on Hybrid Super Audio CD. So its nice that both mixes are available in High Resolution formats.

Back
Top Bottom