Silver and Gold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
I think it's one of the better b-sides and should've been a part of JT, or at least studio-ised in RaH instead of the "edge play the blues" version

an amazing song, am I buggin ya w/ this, i don't mean to bug ya:wink:

I think they should have come out with two seperate cds -- Rattle & Hum and The Joshua Tree Tour Live.

Rattle & Hum:
01. All Along The Watchtower (studio)
02. Van Diemen's Land
03. Desire
04. Hawkmoon 269
05. Angel Of Harlem
06. Love Rescue Me
07. When Love Comes To Town
08. Unchained Melody
09. Deep In The Heart
10. Heartland
11. God Part II
12. All I Want Is You

Joshua Tree Tour Live:
01. Where The Streets Have No Name
02. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
03. MLK
04. One Tree Hill
05. All Along The Watchtower
06. Exit
07. In God's Country
08. Bullet The Blue Sky
09. Running To Stand Still
10. Bad
11. Gloria
12. Pride
13. With Or Without You
14. 40

Or something like that. What do you think?

Yeah, I like much more the best of 80-90 b-side's version than the r&h live performance. Which is strange, because 95% of U2 songs I prefer live. Also I love Bono's voice here, it sounds creepy or something like that in a good way.

Last edited:
Must disagree on this one. IMO, the live version is MUCH better. The recorded b-side is only average... the song really comes to life on the R&H version (especially in the R&H video).

The version with Keith and Ronnie Wood (Mick isn't on it) is all guitars and overwrought singing. I like it very much, but the whole band version, whether live or in the studio is better, I think. The Bono/Keith version is spare and emotional and bluesy, which is all good. I just prefer the whole band version.

There's a version w/ sum of the stones? when did they do this?

"I, I, I ain't gonna play Sun City..."

where else can Run DMC sing w/ Joey Ramone and Lou Reed? only on Sun City

I never heard the studio b-side until a few years after R&H came out, so one of the bigger reasons I like it better is that it was "newer" to me. The only thing I don't like about the live version is I always feel bad for people who paid to go to a U2 concert and were getting some b-side replete with a detailed explanation of when/where/why it was written. I mean, if it's that important put it on your album.

martha said:
It's on the Sun City album that Little Steven put together in the mid-80s. The album is one of my favorites, but even the cd is out-of-print now.

Out-of-print, wow!?

So that's why I have never come across that one. I've got to admit, I never really checked, but still. thnx for the info martha.

BTW I was in high school when the Sun City single came out. I don't know if anyone is familiar with the dutch tradition of Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas) but I bought the 45 and gave it as a present to a classmate after "drawing tickets" (lootjes trekken) So I did buy it, owned it for a week, but obviously never played it. The full 33 album was a bit out of my league, budget-wise...and my first CD player some 2 years away.

An amazon.com search of Sun City in "recordings" gives you Little Steven's greatest hits, USA for Africa and U2

CD Single three live tracks:

Audio CD
Original Release Date: 2001
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Interscope Records
Catalog: #INTR-10577-2
ASIN: B00062WT1K

what is this???

..and The Sun City album is 35$ used!?

I do own Simple Minds, "live in the city of lights" actually one of my first CD purchases, featuring a Sun City cover. Jim Kerr was always sorry he couldn't participate, too busy recording their classic Once upon a Time, I guess. That one also one of the first ten CDs that I bought.

Sorry for the off topic rant, but what was the Sun City single b-side?

Last edited:
I used to have a copy of this, but it has since faded away. Bono's version is VERY spare. I believe a clarinetist features towards the end. It's almost spoken word, vocals are hushed through much of it, until Bono starts hootin' and hollerin' halfway through and Keef starts playing electric over Bono's acoustic guitar and foot stomping. It's a very bluesy treatment -- almost beat, if that makes sense.

deltau922 said:
I never heard the studio b-side until a few years after R&H came out, so one of the bigger reasons I like it better is that it was "newer" to me. The only thing I don't like about the live version is I always feel bad for people who paid to go to a U2 concert and were getting some b-side replete with a detailed explanation of when/where/why it was written. I mean, if it's that important put it on your album.

What do you have against performing b-sides? They're U2's songs, they're playing a concert of U2 songs, they might as well play them. Party Girl, a b-side, is one of U2's longest-lasting live songs.

A song that suits a live setting might not necessarily suit an album. You'd never put Party Girl on an album but it is a wonderfully enjoyable track the band will most likely perform on the upcoming tour (since its debut on 26 February 1983, the only tour it has missed is Popmart).

The B-side was a song called Not So Far Away, credited to Artists Against Apartheid (like Sun City was). It wasn't on the Sun City album. I don't believe Bono participated on that one.

Back
Top Bottom