Shut Rolling Stone's On-Line Site Up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Apparently, Rolling Stone's on-line site wasn't satisfied blasting U2 for "whoring" themselves by daring to let clips of "Beautiful Day" appear in trailers, despite the obvious hypocrisy of that statement (where Rolling Stone magazine put out six N'Sync covers simultaneously just to cater to the younger crowd). They now had this to say about U2's VMA performance:

As found on YouTwo.Net:
September 8, 2001
Condensed from Rolling Stone:

U2, "Elevation/Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of": Does U2 (U f*cking 2!) need to squeeze in both current singles so badly that they'd compromise the two for television? That disillusioning decision aside, they played perfectly per usual and their homage to the Ramones was rad, even if contrived. (Note: In awarding Bono et al the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, noted pillar of rock history Carson Daly delivered among the hokiest sycophant speeches since Bono's own "herbsman, wildman, Rita's man, showman, shaman" induction of Bob Marley into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.)

First, clearly one can see the bias with the ever so childish "U f*cking 2" comment. Ah, a brilliant piece of writing there - and so witty too. NOT!

Just as before, I have many problems with Rolling Stone's mini-gripe (calling it an "article" is an insult to the word). I'll give Rolling Stone their opinion on U2's song montage. I saw it as a nice way for U2 to present two very different sides of themselves - the rock side and their anthemic side. However, I can acquiesce how some might have felt it a bit over-the-top.

That said, I find their insults toward Carson Daly's speech quite amusing. Rolling Stone calls it sycophantical, but tell me, what type of speech was he to have given? "Oh, U2 royally suck, but what the f*ck, here's an award for them anyway." Smart Rolling Stone...real smart.

Also, I also LOVE Bono's introductory speeches. It seems Daly took a page right out of Bono's speech-writing techniques. This is the way an introduction SHOULD be done. Clearly Bono's skills at writing are outstanding as Frank Sinatra was visibly moved by Bono's words at the Grammy Awards in the mid-90's and many critics feel that Bono should write introductory speeches for all artists who are inducted into the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame.

Lastly, I felt that the dedication/presentation of U2's award to the Ramones was pure class. Contrived? Please - this was at the level of class that Rolling Stone's web site can only dream of obtaining. Clearly there was planning involved, but U2 did NOT have to be so gracious. This was U2's moment in the spot-light and they shared it with a true revolutionary leader in rock music.

I encourage everyone to BLAST Rolling Stone's web site. This double whammy of U2 insults is just too much. Rolling Stone's hypocrisy coupled to their sheer stupidity only reinforces my earlier statement that they are not worth reading.

Rolling Stone is sinking even faster than Nsync's album in Europe.

Well, if you read the rest of the article, it's actually relatively complimentary... for the bitchy, whiny guy who can't apparently cut it on anything other than a website.
smile.gif

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=14573

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Rolling Stone is really starting to piss me off. I think I just need to drop those fuckers for good, and subscribe to Q.

I didn't think Carson's speech was bad--I liked it, even though I normally don't care for him...

------------------
BOOM-CHA

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
Rolling Stone is really starting to piss me off. I think I just need to drop those fuckers for good, and subscribe to Q.

I didn't think Carson's speech was bad--I liked it, even though I normally don't care for him...

I know!! Damn RS to hell!
mad.gif
Q is much better too!

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

mad.gif

If they named Nsync as 'the biggest band in the world', then I don't think there's any hope left...

That's funny doctorwho, someone gave me some old copies of Rolling Stone yesterday. One has Bono on the cover, the other the Edge. They are from 1993 I think, haven't read them yet. It will be interesting to compare the attitude.
I hadn't heard that description of Marley before. It's brilliant, I love the way Bono strings words together. Some journalists just do not have a clue, what a crying wasteful shame.

Back
Top Bottom