Shouldn't Zooropa and Babyface been released as singles ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aygo said:
There aare tones of singles from known artists that don't have a video.

any from u2 ? I meant u2

What I know by singles , at least the ones from u2 , is they are released in a cd , even if not everywehere , and have a video

J_NP said:

any from u2 ? I meant u2

What I know by singles , at least the ones from u2 , is they are released in a cd , even if not everywehere , and have a video

Having a video does not necessitate that a song is a single for U2. Spanish Eyes, for example, had a video, as did UTEOTW. The very earliest singles lacked videos.

Also, you'd be better off just staing that a song is commercially available for the general public to buy, not that it's on CD. Some of the earliest singles are still only available on vinyl and cassette, and wasn't one for HTDAAB (OOTS?) only available for online purchase?

Axver said:

Having a video does not necessitate that a song is a single for U2. Spanish Eyes, for example, had a video, as did UTEOTW.

Yeah but any of these , did it ever get air plays ? Can these be seem outside from a u2 product or u2.com ?

Axver said:
The very earliest singles lacked videos.

MMm lack of money ......

Edge didn't have even othe guitar besides his 2nd hand Explorer , u think they could afford lots of money on videos ?

Last edited:
J_NP said:
Edge didn't have even othe guitar besides his 2nd hand Explorer , u think they could afford lots of money on videos ?

Do you think the band paid for their own videos?

Sure, the A Celebration video looks like it was made with 5 bucks and a crazy flood light but the label pays for that stuff.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Do you think the band paid for their own videos?

Sure, the A Celebration video looks like it was made with 5 bucks and a crazy flood light but the label pays for that stuff.

Indeed but what I pointed out is that if he wasn't gettin enough money to get another , talk about the amounts the label was willing to pay for the very 1st videos

J_NP said:

Yeah but any of these , did it ever get air plays ? Can these be seem outside from a u2 product or u2.com ?

I saw UTEOTW on TV in New Zealand.

MMm lack of money ......

Record companies often put up the money for the videos, so that point'/s irrelevant. And you're forgetting Edge's black Strat. He had that in 1980.

Axver said:

Record companies often put up the money for the videos, so that point'/s irrelevant. And you're forgetting Edge's black Strat. He had that in 1980.

Well help me out on this , coz what I know is , he got it for recording October , which I don't think it began in 80

Last edited:
J_NP said:

Well help me out on this , coz what I know is , his black strat , appeared in 81

I'm pretty damn sure he had it in 1980. I'm not home now, but when I get back later today, I'll check my sources and see if I can prove it for sure. :)

Aren't u confusing , coz he was already using it still on the Boy tour , but in 81 ?

J_NP said:
Aren't u confusing , coz he was already using it still on the Boy tour , but in 81 ?

I thought he used it for the length of the Boy Tour. I still haven't found what I intended to find, but I did come across this video on YouTube, supposedly from November 1980. I've never seen it before and Adam looks really weird, but Edge is definitely not using the Explorer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztYTXd5dkJA

J_NP said:

any from u2 ? I meant u2

It just came to my mind one example. Madonna's "Nothing Fails" and "Nobody Knows Me" were singles in 2003 and they didn't have any promotional video.

There are lots of examples of singles that didn't have a video.

A single is a single, a video is a video. One doesn't have to be pasted to the other. See UTEOTW, Spanish eyes, Night And Day or even TGBHF that were not singles, just radio promotionals (not commercially available) and had videos.

roy said:
Zooropa is just a badly engineered attempt to weld three songs together. THE most overrarted U2 song ever. :down: :down:

As for Babyface; well it's just a lazy pop song IMO. The type of filler that makes you wish Zooropa remained an EP.

Zooropa overrated? With the exception of hardcore fans it's barely know. If you mean overrated here, well I guess that's your opinion.

I love Zooropa, one of my favorites. GREAT lyrics, enjoyable sound, while it is 3 songs, it still makes a whole bunch of sense, especially in the context of Zooropa and ZooTV, where that sort of randomness was everything. Somehow, they still managed to fit together like any other song. And it works to greatness.

Babyface is one of their absolute worst. I can't believe anyone here would think it's better than Zooropa (not you, roy, others in this thread).

Aygo said:

One doesn't have to be pasted to the other. See UTEOTW, Spanish eyes, Night And Day or even TGBHF that were not singles, just radio promotionals (not commercially available) and had videos.

Well Like I was talkin to Axver , he did see End of the World in a NZ TV but I think it was sort of a special thing .....

I'm almost sure that these videos except for a special thing , were'nt ever seen except for U2.com or a u2 product

Wasn't Night day part of that compilation thing ?
Red and Blue ?

And algo Ground part of the Soundtrack ....

Axver said:

I thought he used it for the length of the Boy Tour. I still haven't found what I intended to find, but I did come across this video on YouTube, supposedly from November 1980. I've never seen it before and Adam looks really weird, but Edge is definitely not using the Explorer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztYTXd5dkJA

Well then u should add this one also to his collection

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zbiI3eenA9k&mode=related&search=

Point is like the I will follow video , that Les Paul was borrowed , and such on the Street Mission video ....

I wouldn't be surprised with this ITV video if it was the same .... Besides there's something strange bout this Strat , though I didn't get a good close of it , I would say it's not Edge's famous 80's strat ....

Could be wrong though since it's end of 80 still ....

:huh: Getting back on topic...

Neither song should have been a single. If I was forced at gunpoint to pick one as a single, I'd take Babyface. Zooropa is not appropriate for radio, and I'd throw up in my mouth if I were to hear that terrible edited version on radio.

And if we're getting into which song is better, Zooropa wins by a mile. It's the single greatest thing the band ever did, and Babyface, for all of its catchy pervertedness, can't even compare.

Back
Top Bottom