Should U2 work exclusively with Eno and Lanois from now on ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't agree. The albums Eno and Lanois have worked together on are all VERY different.

I dunno, outside of Achtung Baby, all other Lanois-produced U2 albums sound prototypically U2. UF, JT, and ATYCLB all have much in common sonically.

As someone else hear mentioned it seems to be a real problem for U2 to find others that can really get them going creatively. I think it is a problem of people either being intimidated or just to used to dealing with the typical fragile egos of most stars. I think Lillywhite mentioned that producers often have to do a lot of mollycoddling but that U2 just needs a swift kick up the ass. Bono always says that Steve's favorite line is "Just do your job." Lillywhite seems to be a closer for them, someone who will come in towards the end and say enough already just finish the damned thing. Eno and Lanois know best how to jumpstart the band's creativity. Bono talks about how when Lanois is in the room they play better just because he's there. Eno is good at getting them out of ruts and sparking new ideas. Bono especially has a brain that works at warp speed and there are probably not many who can keep up with him much less keep him stimulated. If Bono gets bored that's not good. I think that may be part of what happened with Chris Thomas given Bono's comment that "you can only go so far with riff-o-rama". Also I think it might be a factor in them not getting back with Rubin. Bono's comment was that "Rubin was very silent, but it was the loudest silence you ever heard." To someone like Bono who loves a good arguement, silence might seem very offputting even if it is communicative. I can't help thinking it might be too much like a fathers disapproval or percieved disaproval which would not be very conducive to creativity. The awe factor is definitely a problem in some respects as I remember Bono talking about a new engineer that they had when working on Bomb who had been a fan for 20 years and Bono was amused watching this guy watch them and discover as he put it "just how crap we really are behind closed doors." Bono thought it was fascinating watching this realization overtake the young guy. No matter what other qualities any potential producers might have the most important I think will be the confidence to browbeat them when necessary and the wisdom to know when to let them be.

Dana

"Rubin was very silent, but it was the loudest silence you ever heard." Sounds like Rubin didn't care that much for what U2 played to him...

Has anyone seen quotes on why Eno and Lanois weren't approached for Pop (Eno worked on Zooropa) ?
Lanois did come to listen in 2003 for about a week on Bomb and presumably Eno's fallout over songwriting credits on All that... was a little too fresh in his memory.

The few albums they did without them after UF - Rattle and Hum, Pop, Bomb - mostly got shot down. Even All that... - while not as well received as the other three - produced a classic U2 song and a very good opening half. They used several producers on Pop and Bomb, and it seems sessions (except AB) tend to go more smoothly with their dynamic duo producers - and after initial Rick Rubin sessions, they turned back to them on this next album, even co-writing with them.

That said, do you think U2 should "adopt" Eno and Lanois for all their albums in the future, or would you like to see them work with someone else again ?

I agree w you, U2Girl.

:hug:

<>

Why would U2 ever limit their creativity by working exclusively with Eno and Lanois?

But I like Rattle and Hum, Pop, and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb...

I tend to prefer Eno/Lanois U2 albums, but I don't think U2 should work with them or with any other producers exclusively. They should always be willing to open themselves up to new possibilities. Eno and Lanois seem to be the producers who enable them to do that the most, but that may not always be the case. You know what else I think would be interesting? U2 producing themselves.

The Beatles worked mostly with the same producers for their entire (however short) career.
I love everything Lanois has touched.
His work with Peter Gabriel and Emmylou Harris is unrivaled.
I know some people didn't like ATYCLB and Bomb but you know what?
The band is never going to put out the music that is in your head, only what is in theirs.
I want the band to loosen up a little and pull off another Zooropa.

they are good producers, but rattle and hum is my favourite u2 album aswell as achtung baby....
so I think it jus depends on the songs, whether lanios and eno should stay with u2....not sure who did the intro for streets (i think its keys playing) on the album version, but I think that is one of the most amazing intros to ever come from u2 or any band..so streets would be eno and lanios' best work in my opinion

par

a

graphs

please.

if you're having trouble, one way to read singles spaced long paragraphs like that is simply highlighting the line as you read it, or after you have read it, and then just going down a notch with your mouse (to the line below) and it will high light the next line down so you don't lose your place

OK, but what do you think about the question asked in this thread ?

I think Brian and Daniel interface best w the substance and texture of U2's musical message.

That said yes I prefer them but do not think that should be exclusively used only.

Remember without them gems on other albums such as:

Crumbs
Heartland
IWF
NYD
Scarlet
Gone
Zooropa

were created.

Also, comparing ATYCLB to other albums such as HTDAAB or POP is like comparing a Mercedes Benz to a Yugo or a Renault. Granted a driver (listener) can have moments of ecstasy in the other 2 vehicles but the ride is not quite the same-nor the ambiance.

:angry:
<>

Back
Top Bottom