Should U2 Repeat ATYCLB Promo Strategy for New Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Among their more notable tricks in promoting ATYCLB was a series of small venue concerts, late night TV guestings, and performing for the TRL generation.

I think U2 should do the same thing (something they had never previously done in other albums) - guest in Leno and Letterman -- but I think they should add Conan and Kilborn to that list. U2 should also do some MTV and Much Music stuff to appeal to the younger generation. They should also do Saturday Night Live. And they should do they same closed door concerts to a selected few -- but this time I think it should be through younger contest winners. U2's next album should be promoted as an album that knows no generation gap. They should try to connect with the young. A few TRL type show appearances and a few closed door concerts (or acoustic sets with just Bono and Edge) with just the teens a few weeks before the new album is out will guarantee huge initial sales for U2's new album.

Also they should just limit their release to the new album for November, so that all the Christmas purchases will be concentrated on the new album. But come touring time (perhaps Feb or March) U2 should release Under A Blood Red Sky and Zoo TV Sydney on DVD format. Then by the time Christmas 2005 nears, they should release Popmart Mexico and Best of 1980-1990 in DVD also. I think this will keep them in the limelight and guarantee exposure all year long.

I think the way they promoted POP was a failure (along with the songs they selected as singles). During Achtung and JT, promoting albums wasn't a rocket science yet and they got by through their popularity and fan anticipation. But in this information age, promotional strategies is a necessary element in guaranteeing album sales - and something that has to be carefully planned. I think also U2 should have some sort of interactivity with its fans -- maybe an online poll on what their third single should be. At least that will keep their fans like a part of U2 and part of the U2 decision making process.

So in summary, I think the new album should be promoted the same way as ATYCLB with a little more orientation to the younger listeners. And the promotion should be more intense (more TV appearances). Finally, they should have properly timed DVD releases to keep fan awareness there.

What do you guys think? What promotional strategies should U2 employ for the new album?

Cheers,

J

Hard to say...

On one hand, all they really need is a strong first single. I'm sure ATYCLB really benefited from Beautiful day in popularity and sales, more than any promo shows. Also, I'd rather have an album that sells good on the long run than fall out of the charts after the first two or three weeks of sales.

On second hand, depends how much they really need US audience - the youngest audience in particular. I remember Bono saying hip hop really got the rug from under rock's feet by going "door to door" sort of speak.
It's true, music industry changed a lot since AB and the emphasis is bigger on promotion than ever. Media exposure can really help boost popularity - for example, I think N Sync still hold the record for most album sales in first week. U2 has never been shy of flirting with the mainstream and always has had lots of media exposure, and they obviously care a lot how they do in the States.

If I remember right, McGuiness said "no live shows of any kind" were planned for 2004, which IMO could mean they won't do promotional shows and just go on tour. Which suggests they are confident about the new material.

I think they should promote like ATYCLB, but not TOO much. If this album is as good as they say, we need some good rock n roll to save the music world, although it is a lot better than when ATYCLB was released.

RademR said:
If this album is as good as they say, we need some good rock n roll to save the music world, although it is a lot better than when ATYCLB was released.

Can you please enlighten me here as to how the "rock n roll" scene has improved "a lot" since ATYCLB was released?

Zoorock Girl! said:

Can you please enlighten me here as to how the "rock n roll" scene has improved "a lot" since ATYCLB was released?

the white stripes, the strokes, coldplay's new album was amazing, radiohead returned with "Hail to the Thief." In 2000 there was absolute garbage played on MTV. It's not the hottest era of rock n roll, but it is a little better. Clarified?

Last edited:
probably somewhat in between

hindsight does show that with POP they miscalculated their popularity with the single/album buying public
with ATYCLB they seemed to show up just about everywhere which in the end and even if that would be good marketing it's probably not something all the band members can/want to keep up doing with every album

I do not want them to try to appeal to my generation. I don't want them to try to appeal to ANY generation or specific group of people. They should simply promote the album for what it is, do this promotion in the appropriate places, and let it sell.

I think they will do something similar to how they promoted ATYCLB. That was an extremely effective way of marketing them as "Legends that Still Have It."..

which is what I think they are going for now.

I wouldn?t mind if they come over here again to promote the new album. I was lucky enough to be in Rio in Nov 2000 and to witness the recording session for their Fant?stico showcase, but thinking better, I?d rather go with them adding a few dates on real tour here than another showcase only.

Cheers
MT

With super rock and roll godheads like The Darkness and Jet ruling the airwaves, I'm not sure U2 need to save the music world anymore!

Could this be their chance to release a 'folk' record?

It's weird, coz ATYCLB wasn't really "promoted" in Australia at all - sales seemed to be mostly based on the success of the singles. It would be interesting to see whether they would promote the album here, or rely mostly on the singles again.

Back
Top Bottom