Should U2 Remaster An Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZeroDude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Well should they? A remastered Achtung or Joshua Tree would be nice, does anyone here think this is bad idea? Ok in about 10 years, a 20 year Achtung Baby anniversaary release, would you buy it?

It's not that i really want them too, I just feel that someday there may be a need too

the only thing is, if they remaster a good album then people will either say its not as good as the original (probably the same people that refuse to accept that any film sequel is as good as the original, and that U2 peaked back in the 80s and are never coming back, and that the red hot chillis suck now and their "old stuff" is much better...) well, you get the idea.

People will also say they are going back to the glory days (and this infers they arent so good now)

If they do a 'bad' album (pop, being unfinished and not as much liked as their other albums, springs to mind) then I think thats a good idea, but lots of people will see at as an admission that their "new stuff" sucks.

Sorry to say that although I would like them to finish off pop, a lot of people will look at it very negatively:(

Thats what I think also, one day they may feel the need to reintoduce one of their classics back on to the market,,,,,,,,,,,

They could remaster their back catalogue, plonk an extra disc of bonus tracks, double the price, no, quadruple the price, and let us buy them like sheeeeeeeeeeeep.

Baa. :)

Edit: Alright that could start a lot of arguments, but anyway, um, I don't really care if they did any remastering unless they put out something extra. The early albums sound fine to me.

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
They could remaster their back catalogue, plonk an extra disc of bonus tracks, double the price, no, quadruple the price, and let us buy them like sheeeeeeeeeeeep.

Baa. :)

Edit: Alright that could start a lot of arguments, but anyway, um, I don't really care if they did any remastering unless they put out something extra. Most of the early albums sound fine to me.

And it would happen:wink:

neutral said:
War, UF and JT have already been remastered...

They were remastered, but not using technology currently available. They're now almost as dated as the originals. They're also in such limited supply that it's hard to get one without paying at least $30 for it, and sometimes upwards of $50. What U2 needs to do is remaster their entire catalogue the way Peter Gabriel did in 2002. I would gladly pay to replace my now-old-and-scratchy U2 CDs I've been listening to since the late '80s and early '90s if the new discs sounded as amazing as the PG remasters.

Last edited:
ALL U2 ALBUMS should be remastered keeping their original mixing :wave:

I hate to listen to Boy with that bad CD quality and then a better sounded one like ATYCLB :tsk:

War, because it was recorded on old fashioned equiptment and doesn't transfer well to CD (at least my copy has inferior sound quality)

I need an UF remastered version...

There is such potential for the sound on that album, but it just doesn't transfer well to CD. UF is so spacey and ambient, like Zooropa, it deserves better quality.

all about the analog yo.. respect that shit

re master achtung baby with all the b-bsides to that shit.. pLUS remake "heaven & hell" sweet song

Simple Minds re-mastered their entire catalogue but didn't add anything (no b-sides, demos etc). I'd be TOTALLY against U2 doing that because you just KNOW that 2 years later they will get re-released with all bells and whistles and we're up for double the cost.

But bands like the Cure and Manic Street Preachers released damn fine anniversay re-masters in the past month.

The Cure's "3 Imaginary Boys" was re-released for its 25 year anniversary and went from an 11 track raw album to a 30 track cracker with lots of demos/outtakes/b-sides etc.

Manic Street Preachers "Holy Bible" album was released as a great 10th anniversary package containing 2 different re-mastered versions of the LP plus demos, outtakes, sessions etc AND a DVD with live performances of the album tracks on TV shows and concerts. A lot of effort obviously went into it.

THAT'S what U2 should be doing. Quantity AND quality.

U2 definitely need to go back and remaster their albums from the 80s and early 90s. The sound quality is so inferior to how some other remasters sound. Someone mentioned Peter Gabriel - excellent example. His CDs sound incredible now!

I think some people responded to this post thinking the subject was re-recording or remixing the albums, which is totally different. I want the CDs remastered, but in their original forms. This isn't about going back and redoing Pop (although that would be an idea)...

No remastered cd please. Every cd represent the timeperiode they recorded in ( including the technical stuff they used )

HTDAAB out to be remastered from ground up. I mean, how could such a great album be so badly mixed together? Crumbs, an altogether outstanding song can't be played at all without either a) killing your tweeters (and grinding your teeth on the sssss's) or, b) turning the equipment on flat settings. I hate flat tones, but seriously, I can't play this album with the treble/bass levels I want to. To muck it up further, after ABOY (another super fab piece by the how), where you flip up the bass, you've got to reverse the settings for the next song - AMAAW - or, you blow out your subs. Altogether, I vote that they remaster this album immediately because it's a shame that such an outstanding album has such crappy mixing.

Back
Top Bottom