Should U2 Record A Christmas Album Before They Retire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
So far, U2's only Christmas song is their cover of Christmas Baby Please Come Home.

When you look at U2 - they are a band heavily influenced by the life of Jesus Christ. Their music is unmistakable Christian and so are their themes. From "40" to Yahweh, from waiting for God to walk in the room to going in a room full of politicians to lobby for debt relief - U2 is living the Christian life.

Yet, U2 seem to be lacking when it comes to songs that celebrate the birth of their foremost icon - Jesus. If you look at some great artists of this generation - from Mariah Carey, to Jewel Kilcher, to Nat King Cole, to Clay Aiken - they have all recorded Christmas albums. U2, being a very Christian band who looks up to Jesus, should write some songs and record some covers of songs that celebrate their savior's birth.

So what are your thoughts on U2 finally recording a Christmas album? Are you guys for or against it? And why or why not?

Cheers,

J

I don't know, U2 always said they're not a covers band.
I don't think they'd do it, maybe one song but not the full album.

Clay Aiken - great artist of our generation?

Man - you post just to get under people's skin!

But I see through your machinations. :wink:

jick said:
some great artists of this generation - from Mariah Carey

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

you've got to be kidding right - U2 do a xmas album?? that'll be the day Mariah Carey learns to act

1) What is "Christmas album"?... and why I have a feeling they already made one (ATYCanLB)?

2) U2 are NOT a "very Christian band who looks up to Jesus"... they are christians (BTW is Adam still a christian?), so they can ask questions in some songs, they can pray in some songs (wich in their case is more like making a comment on our world than praying)... BUT that doesn't make them a christian band.

U2 got 100000 awards, have you seen them ever saying: "We want to thank God for this award...." and other BS that all other "artists" say?

All you see in other artists is wrong... you can't have songs about *insert whatever you want*, have a video with 20 (almost) nude girls/women... and than make a "christmas album"... U2 are better than that!

bathiu said:
1) What is "Christmas album"?... and why I have a feeling they already made one (ATYCanLB)?

2) U2 are NOT a "very Christian band who looks up to Jesus"... they are christians (BTW is Adam still a christian?), so they can ask questions in some songs, they can pray in some songs (wich in their case is more like making a comment on our world than praying)... BUT that doesn't make them a christian band.

U2 got 100000 awards, have you seen them ever saying: "We want to thank God for this award...." and other BS that all other "artists" say?

All you see in other artists is wrong... you can't have songs about *insert whatever you want*, have a video with 20 (almost) nude girls/women... and than make a "christmas album"... U2 are better than that!

When U2 got a Grammy for ATYCLB, Bono credited it to God walking through the room.

U2 always end their concerts with Bono saying "God bless."

Cheers,

J

jick said:

When U2 got a Grammy for ATYCLB, Bono credited it to God walking through the room.

U2 always end their concerts with Bono saying "God bless."

Cheers,

J

oh please!
people say "God bless" when someone sneezes - doesnt mean they're religious enough to release a Christmas album to celebrate Christs birth.

oh, and i'm in no way doubting U2's Christian beliefs here, i just dont think it means they should release a Christmas album.

Last edited:
digsy said:

oh, and i'm in no way doubting U2's Christian beliefs here, i just dont think it means they should release a Christmas album.

Thanks, that's the reply I was looking for - whether you think U2 should or should not release an Xmas album. I guess you don't want them to. But why not? What are your reasons?

Cheers,

J

If U2 were to release a Christmas album, here's my tracklist I'd want them to make:

-Christmas Baby Please Come Home (the one already previously recorded)

-Do They Know It's Christmas? (imagine Bono singing ALL the lines)

-O Holy Night

-Silent Night

-Last Christmas (George Michael cover, sort of to return the favor to George Michael for covering Miss Sarajevo)

-White Christmas (I think it would be great to have Bono crooning in his Velvet Dress/Your Blue Room voice doing this song)

-Two original U2 songs (we can't expect U2 to make an album full of covers, U2 would be itching to write their own songs)

-Give Love On Christmas Day

-Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

-Jingle Bells

-Hark The Herald

I think that would make a great tracklist for a U2 Christmas album. What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

J

I don't think they should because it'd be tacky.

Most Christmas albums are money-grabs, not celebrations of the birth of Christ.

The rest are done by artists who are primarily thought of as singers and not songwriters.

Last edited:
Ok, i dont want U2 to release an xmas album because so far its not what the band is about. When i say so far, then i mean that they have more on their minds than creating a cozy feeling for xmas.
I want them to continue singing songs that i can listen to at any time, any place. And i simply can´t picture Larry saying Ok, lets make an xmas record :wink:

Well maybe Edge could sing the lead on all the songs!! WOO HOO Now, that's a record! Sponsered by Apple!!

Last edited:
And if you look into what Christmas is based upon, it actually has practically nothing to do with Jesus or proper Christian beliefs, it is all based upon pagan festivals.

So I don't think they would do one.

Christmas, as people know it now, is based on Christ's birth. It may have had origins/ traditions based on pagan ceremonies and cultures but in the present it has become something entirely different from what it may have been thousands of years ago.

Peace on Earth is U2's second Christmas song. However, considering how crappy that song turned out, I'd be against U2 making an album or Christmas songs (if they were original). Christmas covers would be great. If Mariah, Clay, etc. can do it then U2 can do it too.

No it should never happen, as the most respected rock band of the past generation it shouldnt happen plus U2 are too good to be involved with this bullshit, CHRISTMAS IS MAKING BE ANGRY, arrrrrrrr

jick said:
I think that would make a great tracklist for a U2 Christmas album. What are your thoughts?

Don't forget their cover of John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)". :wink:

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, the market is flooded with crummy Christmas records by the pop Flavor Of The Week, and U2's could easily get lost in the shuffle. On the other hand, they may be the one group who could do a Christmas album right.

digsy said:

oh please!
people say "God bless" when someone sneezes - doesnt mean they're religious enough to release a Christmas album to celebrate Christs birth.

What does that mean?

U2 have released songs like "YAHWEH" and "All Because Of You" which are blatantly about God, so why wouldn't they release an album about the birth of God's son?

If it's done well, I'd like to see a Christmas album. Some artists have done excellent Christmas albums. Jon Anderson from Yes did a Christmas album that was better than anything else he's ever done. And look at Savatage - they grabbed a few more singers, changed their name to Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and made 3 excellent Christmas albums.

I'd love to see them release a "for charity" Xmas album, it would raise millions.

Oh, and there's a reason why in concert Bono recites psalms, shouts "unto the almighty" adds "hallelujahs" and brings along their own Pastor at the beginning of a tour......

Actually, U2 not only did "Baby Please Come Home" but "So This Is Christmas". It was done as a live performance and easy enough to find in MP3 format. Additionally, Bono was twice involved in the "Do They Know It's Christmas" recording.

Therefore, this seems like a good amount of Christmas music to me. Any more would be silly. Artists tend to put these out either at the beginnings of their career (e.g. Clay Aiken, N'Sync) or after their career is winding down (Carey). As U2 is still near the top of their game, I see no reason to add more Xmas music.

Will they do so in the future? I would hope not. THAT would be "selling out", IMO. Still, if there's this burning desire for them to release such an album, so be it. Not sure I'd get it though... Of course, as others said, if it was a 100% for charity item, then that would be different.

Sue DeNym said:

Don't forget their cover of John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)". :wink:

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, the market is flooded with crummy Christmas records by the pop Flavor Of The Week, and U2's could easily get lost in the shuffle. On the other hand, they may be the one group who could do a Christmas album right.

Thanks for reminding me about Happy Xmas. I do remember hearing U2's version of that and it was great.

Cheers,

J

Flying FuManchu said:
Christmas, as people know it now, is based on Christ's birth. It may have had origins/ traditions based on pagan ceremonies and cultures but in the present it has become something entirely different from what it may have been thousands of years ago.

Peace on Earth is U2's second Christmas song. However, considering how crappy that song turned out, I'd be against U2 making an album or Christmas songs (if they were original). Christmas covers would be great. If Mariah, Clay, etc. can do it then U2 can do it too.

Peace On Earth isn't a Christmas song. It's merely an improved version of Please but still a cheap imitation of Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I'd also say, if Mariah, Clay can do it, then U2 can do it BETTER.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom