Should U2 Record A Christmas Album Before They Retire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:

2)No, they should not. There are already approxiamatly 83205724758024702750285257437025205 people just waiting to cry 'SELLOUTS!!' every time U2 releases studio records, imagine what happens if they record a Christmas record? I'm sure you can imagine.

Who cares what people say? I don't.

U2 would never release an Easter album. They may have religious things in their songs, but they wouldn't write a whole album totally based on a religious event. They AREN'T a Christian band, though others may disagree with me there.

if jars of clay or another worthy band in ccm wrote an album like how to dismantle...you wouldn't blink an eye....actually, I think an album based around Easter might be interesting.

jick said:

Interesting idea. U2 would have to make a really joyous celebratory song for Easter Sunday though. I also think U2 hasn't really written a song that deals squarely with Jesus' death on the cross - but I may be wrong. I did remember a floating title of a U2 song back in the ATYCLB era called "From The Cradle To The Cross" - perhaps that can be their Good Friday song if they actually write it, then a happy easter song (not sure if Yahweh can cut it). UTEOTW is a perfect Last Supper song.

Cheers,

J

I would think joyous songs appropriate to Easter Sunday can be sourced from earlier work, namely Gloria, Scarlet, and possibly 40. If anyone did feel like an Easter U2 album, I do believe one could create a very good tracklisting, but like you say, U2 haven't done songs that directly address some of the major themes.

I don't believe U2 would ever do an Easter album or one for any other specific event (be it religious or not). However, if they did, an Easter album would be potentially the most interesting with the opportunity for Bono to explore some very deep themes and craft songs with significance.

jick said:

Peace On Earth isn't a Christmas song. It's merely an improved version of Please but still a cheap imitation of Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Cheers,

J

Peace On Earth is NOT a "cheap imitation" of SBS - they are completely different. Obviously the two have a strong thematic link, but the perspective is not the same.

If U2 ever records a Christmas album, then we will know that they are about to retire. :lol:

Perish the thought.

Although something about Bono singing "Silver Bells" does appeal to me. :lmao:

namkcuR said:

2)No, they should not. There are already approxiamatly 83205724758024702750285257437025205 people just waiting to cry 'SELLOUTS!!' every time U2 releases studio records, imagine what happens if they record a Christmas record? I'm sure you can imagine.

WRONG! It's actually 83205724758024702750285257437025203. See, not nearly as bad as you thought! :wink:

U2 doing a Christmas album... I'm ambivalent. I was discussing this with my chemistry teacher, actually. He thinks it would be awesome. I agree they could do some pretty cool covers, put a U2-twist on some Christmas songs that are actually already decent (like, I dunno, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen or We Three Kings. Those songs are tight.) But for some reason the idea of a Christmas album just seems so cheesy to me... I just can't see it happening.

Hmm. a whole U2 Christmas album... I'd buy it! I Loooooved Baby Please Come Home (esp. the video when Bono looks into the camera...:drool: ) and I am a sucker for cheesy things sometimes, but if :larry: :bono: :edge: :adam: can wear the muscle-y tee shirts or do the Village People thing, then they're obviously not above some cheesy factor! But they'd have to really do something special with those traditional songs.

The day U2 release a Christmas album is the day I stop liking the band and burn (in the original sense of the word) all their cds.

Back
Top Bottom