Should U2 Record A Christmas Album Before They Retire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:
Will they do so in the future? I would hope not. THAT would be "selling out", IMO. Still, if there's this burning desire for them to release such an album, so be it. Not sure I'd get it though... Of course, as others said, if it was a 100% for charity item, then that would be different.

Making an album to celebrate/commemorate the birth of a historical\religious figure Bono respects a lot is not selling out.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Making an album to celebrate/commemorate the birth of a historical\religious figure Bono respects a lot is not selling out.

Cheers,

J

Exactly right.

I personally don't understand all this crud about "selling out", either. Why are musicians held up to a different standard when it comes to "selling out" than any other worker? And who defines what "selling out" is anyway? It's ridiculous. being a musician is a job just like any other. You do what you need to within your job to put food on the table for you and your family, and as long as it's not morally or legally wrong, what's the big deal? U2 could release an album of Britney Spears covers and I wouldn't consider it selling out - I don't have to buy the album.

Making a christmas album is not selling out, that is absurd. Jick I love your posts man, because you always put something serious with something sarcastic,and it makes me laugh how people get irritated by it. I personally wish that U2 would make a christmas album, I love the song Baby Please Come HOme, I think they could make a excellent and not cheesy Christmas album, with how passionate Bono sings, and Edges guitar, it would not be cheesy but a sincere record, for peace on earth, and rejoice for Christ.

No. Just no. Don't like the idea and I don't want there to EVER be a reason for U2 to be up on the sales rack with Clay Aiken on one side and Mariah Carey on the other. Blech. :huh:

I'd say no album. Maybe a four song ep or something at the most. Personally, I'd hope they didn't even do that. Especially not the traditional ones that everyone else has done. Unless they make them sound like they're from ZooTV!!!!!

anitram said:
No. Just no. Don't like the idea and I don't want there to EVER be a reason for U2 to be up on the sales rack with Clay Aiken on one side and Mariah Carey on the other. Blech. :huh:

They're on the sales racks with those people now.....

I think a CHRISTmas album to rais emoney for one of Bono's causes would be a wonderful idea.

Merry Christmas everyone !

I don't think anyone should release Christmas albums. :)

Even with the obvious references to christianity in their music, U2/Bono transcends religion to the point that they would not do any type of album that might alienate, insult or promote any particular religion. Bono has also written lyrics to the effect that he hasn't found what he's looking for as well as - from Acrobat.. "I'd break bread and wine, if there were a church I could believe in"... Of course that was then and this is now, so I won't venture to say, well yeah, I think nah... They won't do a christmas album, in the traditional sense. IMO, of course. :wink:

Axver said:
I want U2 to do an Easter album.

That makes sense. Easter is actually the most important event for the Christians, more important than Christmas, because Easter affirmed everything the birth of Jesus stood for. Had there been no Easter, had Jesus not risen from the dead - then everything Christianity leans on would be gone. And to think all bands have made Christmas albums, U2 can be different while still being true to their Christ-centric tunes with an Easter album. Good call! I like that idea.

Cheers,

J

man some of the people populating this board are serious crackheads, the day U2 record a Xmas album is the day I throw fecal matter at the band

Last edited:
bonosleftone said:
man some of the people populating this board are serious crackheads, the day U2 record a Xmas album is the day I jump onstage and gun down Bono the way that dude did to Dimebag Darrell.

That is so not funny. :no:

jick said:

That makes sense. Easter is actually the most important event for the Christians, more important than Christmas, because Easter affirmed everything the birth of Jesus stood for. Had there been no Easter, had Jesus not risen from the dead - then everything Christianity leans on would be gone. And to think all bands have made Christmas albums, U2 can be different while still being true to their Christ-centric tunes with an Easter album. Good call! I like that idea.

Cheers,

J

I'm glad you like the idea rather than taking me sarcastically, as I feared some might do. I think it's a really interesting idea and Bono could do a lot lyrically with it - after all, he's already expressed some of his fascination with Judas through UTEOTW. The despair of the disciples could give him plenty of material and we've already seen some of the Doubting Thomas in WUDM.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more it might be possible to even make a U2 Easter album from their past material. But a whole new album on the topic would be both unique and fascinating.

Wow, so much animosity as we celebrate the birth of the Lord.

Any way, I don't see U2 doing a Christmas album. But I would like to see them do a proper recording of Happy Xmas (War is Over). I have a video clip of them playing this during the R&H period and it was actually really good.

I guess I could see a few Christmas tunes on iTunes or something like that, but a whole album seems to be a bit much.

Thanks for stirring up the pot Jick.

Why?

Gloria, Tomorrow, Falling at Your Feet, 40 (though technically a cover, as it's a psalm), Grace, All Because of You, Yahweh,...U2 have written songs in praise of, about, concerning God/Jesus, except, they mix in the songs throughout albums. There's more than that, but those are the more obvious ones.

Clay Aiken, he's gotta sing songs written for him, Mariah Carey, is she known for singing songs about God?

I dunno, it feels false when singers/artists/etc., put out Christmas albums, while the rest of their discography is devoid of anything like that. It does feel more like a marketing move, than a real 'from the heart' kind of record.

You ask, "where was your song about Jesus in June?" ye know?

They did do a blatantly Christian album, October, and not too many people like it as much, save Adam, it used to be his favourite album until Achtung Baby came along.

Last edited:
Several comments:

1)Your mentioning of a reality TV show winning 'idol'(Clay Akin) and the shrieking queen(Mariah Carey) in the same breath as a music legend who was a true talent(Nat King Cole) automatically strips you of any credibility you may have had.

2)No, they should not. There are already approxiamatly 83205724758024702750285257437025205 people just waiting to cry 'SELLOUTS!!' every time U2 releases studio records, imagine what happens if they record a Christmas record? I'm sure you can imagine.

3)Newsflash, for the most part, artists who record Christmas albums usually aren't doing it because they're so religious, they're doing it because it's easy money and an easy way to be heard and seen all over the place.

Last edited:
Last thing I wanna hear is U2 releasing a album full of covers of christmas songs. It's rare that you'll find one that sounds half decent.

John Lennon's was decent, but what else.

All copies of Away in a manger should be burnt.
Jingle Bells is meaningless
Silent Night is as dull as dishwater
Little Donkey drags on...
We wish you a merry christmas has a much lyrical depth as an instrumental.

Alfie the Alf might be the only xmas song i willl allow u2 to do cause it's a ripsnorter of a track.

U2 can't stoop to writing and releasing a xmas album, it's just stupid. And not everyone here celebrates xmas so some of us will just see it as a typically capitalist move of ramming the celebration down everyone's throats again

I could see macphisto singing "you're a mean one mr. grinch".:up:

The only way that U2 should do a Christmas album is if they release an album full of songs that have nothing to do with Christmas and coincidentally is released around December 25th.

Axver said:

I'm glad you like the idea rather than taking me sarcastically, as I feared some might do. I think it's a really interesting idea and Bono could do a lot lyrically with it - after all, he's already expressed some of his fascination with Judas through UTEOTW. The despair of the disciples could give him plenty of material and we've already seen some of the Doubting Thomas in WUDM.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more it might be possible to even make a U2 Easter album from their past material. But a whole new album on the topic would be both unique and fascinating.

Interesting idea. U2 would have to make a really joyous celebratory song for Easter Sunday though. I also think U2 hasn't really written a song that deals squarely with Jesus' death on the cross - but I may be wrong. I did remember a floating title of a U2 song back in the ATYCLB era called "From The Cradle To The Cross" - perhaps that can be their Good Friday song if they actually write it, then a happy easter song (not sure if Yahweh can cut it). UTEOTW is a perfect Last Supper song.

Cheers,

J

I don't think U2 should make a Christmas album, and I don't think there's any danger that it would ever come to pass, but I don't think Christmas albums are all horrible, either. Chris Isaak's Christmas album that just came out is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom