Should U2 just get over trying to compete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Should U2 just get over trying to compete

phillyfan26 said:

Numb sucks and Lemon's overrated. Zooropa and The First Time were the two best tracks.
I like the piano bit at the start of Zooropa and The Edge's riff before Bono starts singing. The main melody after the change is dull and so is the melody for "The First Time". However, "The First Time" is one of the few U2 songs I can sing in the shower; no falsetto to reach for or major shouting.

I should add that I like threads like what the topic-starter meant it to be because I don't think U2 got the message since the turn of the millennium. They've changed course. I'd like to think people associated with U2 will get the message and pass it on, and it will influence U2.

U2 seems perfectly keen on listening to bellweather idiots in deciding the setlists have to have the songs to satisfy their lazy brains, since they'd actually show their frustration if U2 played "Love Is Blindness" or "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World", so U2 tries to appease them with "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Vertigo".

Maybe U2 will listen to hardcore critical fans. I believe and I'm guess the thread-starter believes that U2 can go back to how they were. If I believed U2 would inevitably pursue this folly of chart-chasing above artistic integrity, I'd give up. Yet we protest BECAUSE we see hope. We're fans of U2 the way Bono used to say he was a fan of America (you know, before becoming an apologist for the Bush administration); we criticize with the hope our criticisms will have an impact.

Re: Re: Should U2 just get over trying to compete

Muldfeld said:

Radiohead are more U2 than U2!

Spoken like somebody who didn't start listening to U2 until 1991. :happy:

Which, by the way, probably applies to 99% of the people who have an opinion similar to the OP's.

well, rattle and hum was an extremely bad direction u2 took back in 1989-1990

they copped all kinds of criticism back then, not just for the film, but also the music

achtung baby and zootv brought in an element of fun to u2 and the rock and roll show as opposed to just seeing four guys at the front playing music

right now, u2's politics are f**ked (why the hell do you want to get involved in that?) and also i dont like how bono ruins song lyrics in live performances especially live dvd performances. the thing about depeche mode in their dvds is even though they dont like playing around with their music as much as u2, at least dave gahan means what hes singing through martin gore's lyrics - and dave gahan is into the music so hes got the adrenalin charged up and yelling and hyping the crowd up, whereas bono is singing whatever the hell he wants, i dont like how he doesnt sing the correct lyrics of important tracks like 'where the streets have no name' and in the most recent dvd release (chicago) 'one'. its almost like bono is treating his job as a singer and musician as a secondary job

remember what got you your position in life bono!

stop pretending to be an american. stop worrying about politics. ok, yeh, you sell lots of records we all know that, but nobody at any stage is above the game that they are playing - and in u2's case it is MUSIC

CrashedCarDriver said:

they copped all kinds of criticism back then, not just for the film, but also the music

achtung baby and zootv brought in an element of fun to u2 and the rock and roll show as opposed to just seeing four guys at the front playing music

right now, u2's politics are f**ked (why the hell do you want to get involved in that?) and also i dont like how bono ruins song lyrics in live performances especially live dvd performances. the thing about depeche mode in their dvds is even though they dont like playing around with their music as much as u2, at least dave gahan means what hes singing through martin gore's lyrics - and dave gahan is into the music so hes got the adrenalin charged up and yelling and hyping the crowd up, whereas bono is singing whatever the hell he wants, i dont like how he doesnt sing the correct lyrics of important tracks like 'where the streets have no name' and in the most recent dvd release (chicago) 'one'. its almost like bono is treating his job as a singer and musician as a secondary job

stop pretending to be an american. stop worrying about politics. ok, yeh, you sell lots of records we all know that, but nobody at any stage is above the game that they are playing - and in u2's case it is MUSIC

:up:

Re: Re: Should U2 just get over trying to compete

Rob33 said:

WOW! i'm new to interference and i'm sick to death of posts like this!!! U2 would've crumbled a long time ago if they succumbed to those kind of opinions :rolleyes:

just sit back, shut up, and enjoy the music :)

Amen to that. If there was anything new to be said then this discussion would actually have a point but now that it has been 3 years since Bomb and 7 years since ATYCLB, it has all been done already. I personally love :love: the 2000 era U2. It isn't the same as 90's U2 or 80's U2 but it still moves me.

I'm not as old as some people here. I have only really been a huge U2 fan since 2000 when Beautiful Day came out. It is listening to that record (ATYCLB) that inspired me to seek out their early stuff and get a broader view of their music. I realize some people have been around since the beginning and maybe I don't quite have the perspective to understand that but there are plenty of people who really like U2's last two albums.

All of you who hated them still bought all of their stuff anyway. So just chill out and wait paitently till next november. :silent:

wow..you have to love the way some people carry on on this board. Seriously, as a fan of the new and the old....I am glad they haven't taken the advise of fans...fans who don't write recognized music of their own and who don't write lyrics that millions connect to...

CrashedCarDriver said:

I'm going to take a slight issue with the above part of your post.

As a long-time fan, the criticism U2 received for R&H wasn't really the film (which is nothing more than a documentary) or the music, but rather that U2 felt that they were now "amongst the gods", if you will. Their collaborations with such respected artists as B.B. King and Bob Dylan made some critics question whether U2's ego got the best of them. Of course, now if U2 made such an album, they'd be probably praised for it. I guess the thinking was that U2 hadn't yet "paid their dues". The irony is that by 1988, U2 had been an official band for 9 years, had several multi-platinum albums and a Grammy for "Album of the Year" (which, despite the Grammy Awards debacles, is still one of the most respected music awards given). But back then, artists weren't expected to sell 10M copies of their first album.

The album did venture into more experimental territory and as a result, not all reviews were glowing. The problem with music reviews, though, is how ridiculously subjective they are. Even the comments about working with Dylan or King are subjective. If those famous artists didn't feel U2 were worthy, I can assure you the collaborations wouldn't have existed.

But going back to the original question - should U2 stop trying to compete? As I wrote earlier in this thread, I never felt U2 truly did compete. In each era, they stood out. In the era of Boy George, Michael Jackson and Wham, U2 released "War" and UF. In an era of hair bands and pop artists like Debbie Gibson, U2 release JT. When grunge bands dominated, U2 had AB and "Zooropa". When bubblegum pop dominated the charts, U2 had ATYCLB. When R&B/rap artists snag the hits, U2 had HTDAAB. In other words, U2 have always seemed to stand apart from the mainstream - and in doing so have in turn become mainstream! They were the exception to the rule and a welcome exception at that. The one time U2 did try to "blend in" is arguably with "Pop", which was one of their least successful albums.

Yes, Bono talked about how ATYCLB and, to a lesser extent, HTDAAB, were collections of songs rather than albums, even that was a change for U2 (as I feel they have the album concept down quite well).

In other words, if U2's idea of "competing" is to create strong songs and themes that have the unique ability to appeal to many while simultaneously standing out from the current marketplace, then I say all the more power to them! For every weakness one can find on recent U2, I can find on older U2. Nothing is perfect. But it's the successes that have made U2 the dominant artist they are for the past 25 years.

No spoken words said:
I've pondered this at great length, and I've done a lot of research....market research, analyzed past, present and predicted trends, etc....have spoken to industry insiders as well as myriad fans......crunched #'s.......pondered some more, and, my analysis is:

U2 should do whatever the fuck they like

Thanks.

:up: FTW

i would like to add-

they are so far above any other band on the planet they dont need to compete.

popsadie said:
wow..you have to love the way some people carry on on this board. Seriously, as a fan of the new and the old....I am glad they haven't taken the advise of fans...

Me, too. If they listened to every fan, they wouldn't know WHAT to do. Can't please everybody all the time.

Add me to the list of those who like the old AND the new.

Originally posted by No spoken words
U2 should do whatever the fuck they like

Precisely. If you like it, buy it, if you don't, don't buy it. Plain and simple :shrug:.

Also, doctorwho, have I ever told you that I love your posts :up: :)?

Angela

CrashedCarDriver said:

U2 have been mixing it up with politics since the before they even had a record deal. They did a show in the summer of 1978 in Dublin to support the campaign for free and better access to birth control in Ireland which was either restricted or not widely available at the time.

Well, the question was: Should U2 just get over trying to compete?

Here's your answer: There's never been a competition, so what's there to get over?

another theory: maybe the standards of music have gone way down, and U2 doesn't even need to try that hard.

Back
Top Bottom