should u2 increase their ticket prices on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
u2 didnt charge half of what the rolling stones charged for an average ticket at their last tour. every single vertigo show was sold out. it would make sense to raise the ticket prices next time, to show the world that u2 is indeed as big or maybe even bigger than the stones.

anyone can make thousands of people come to a show if its free or if the ticket prices are really low. the really big bands can make people come to their shows, even though the ticket prices are very high.

should u2 show who is the biggest and most popular band in the world on their next tour?

u2 shown on this tour they are the most popular and biggest band in the world.

Raising ticket prices will just be stupid, prices were high enough.

If it means less competition for tickets, then I'm all for it. I ended up paying over double the price anyway on ebay. :huh:

vaz02 said:
u2 shown on this tour they are the most popular and biggest band in the world.

when the rolling stones have finished their current tour, they will once again have grossed more than u2 did on the vertigo tour. and once again the stones will be called the biggest band on the planet by all leading music magazines.

Lancemc said:
If it means less competition for tickets, then I'm all for it. I ended up paying over double the price anyway on ebay. :huh:

great point. the vertigo tour had scalpers all over the place, making a fortune because the ticket prices were way too low.

U2Man said:

when the rolling stones have finished their current tour, they will once again have grossed more than u2 did on the vertigo tour. and once again the stones will be called the biggest band on the planet by all leading music magazines.

I forgot the rolling stones have had a sold out stadium/arena tour.

In europe the rolling stones flopped BIG TIME, the keith richard falling out of a bush was just a excuse to return to europe IMO.

They may have grossed more but only because they charged 1/3 more than u2 have.

1. Rolling Stones "A Bigger Bang Tour" 2005-2006 $440,982,715.5

2. U2 "Vertigo Tour" 2005-2006 $389,047,636

3. Rolling Stones "Bridges To Babylon/No Security Tour" 1997/1998/1999 $339 million GROSS.

4. Rolling Stones "Voodoo Lounge Tour " 1994-1995 $319 million GROSS.

5. Rolling Stones "Licks Tour" 2002-2003 $300 million GROSS.

wouldnt u2 fans like to see u2 take that number 1 spot? it would be so easy. just let u2 earn the money that the scalpers would otherwise take.

I wouldnt like to pay through the nose just to get to number 1.

Who gives a shit if U2 has the #1 spot? I want to hear good music. I don't care if the tour breaks some record for its overall gross.

As far as I'm concerned, prices are too high already and U2 don't play enough shows to cater to their market. I will never* pay more than $100 for the actual ticket to see any band.

*I reserve the right to go back on this in very exceptional circumstances.

i saw a guy in my city that paid 10x the face value for a ticket outside the venue.

wouldnt it be nice if we could avoid that kind of thing on the next tour?

U2Man said:
i saw a guy in my city that paid 10x the face value for a ticket outside the venue.

You'll never avoid greed and stupidity.

U2Man said:

If you mean by lynching scalpers, i'm all for it.

If you mean your good old joke idea, i'd rather pass.

the only effective way to avoid scalpers is by charging what you're worth.

and thats not a joke.

U2Man said:

Hey, if people want to blow a huge stack of cash, that's their problem, not mine or U2's. I agree that it would be nice to put the touts out of business and end this extortion of U2 fans who just want to see their favourite band play, but I don't believe the solution to that is U2 themselves doing the extorting instead of the touts. Play more concerts at bigger venues instead. Put the touts out of business by allowing everyone who wants to go to get their tickets at the general sale.

And lower the fucking prices! No band is worth $100. None. I'll pay $100 for truly special bands, but feel bitter about it. Concerts should cost only a little more than a movie. If I can't get into U2 for $100 or less next time they come, forget it.

axver, i am 100% certain that you won't be able to see u2 for less than $100 on the next tour. and i am 100% certain that you will be in the crowd.

of course I don't want U2 to charge more for tickets... if they charge more, scalpers will still get ahold of tickets, and they will charge more.

I'd like to see U2 tickets go down...but I doubt that will happen. especially if the tour costs a lot to put on.

the scalpers's profit and market will decrease when u2 charges more.

U2Man said:
axver, i am 100% certain that you won't be able to see u2 for less than $100 on the next tour. and i am 100% certain that you will be in the crowd.

Honestly, I don't like U2 as much as I used to. I'm going to wait and see what their setlist is like first. If it's like the first leg of Vertigo, I'd pay $100, no more. If it's like the fifth leg, I won't go for more than $50 or if someone wants to give me a ticket as a Christmas present.

I simply won't pay more than $100, especially not for a band I've already seen ten bloody times.

If I could write the set, though ... :wink:

U2Man said:
the scalpers's profit and market will decrease when u2 charges more.

So instead of scalpers extorting the fans, you think U2 should just extort their fans themselves instead?

I will never comprehend why concerts cost so fucking much. It's outrageous. I personally don't think I should have to pay more than $30 to see a band. Instead, I accept reality: I'll pay up to $30 for a band I'm curious about, $50 for a band I like, $70-80 for a band I think is really great, and $100 for a truly special band. Any band who's extorting their fans for $200+ a night doesn't deserve to be seen.

Axver said:

So instead of scalpers extorting the fans, you think U2 should just extort their fans themselves instead?

my answer would be yes. i'd rather see the ones manufacturing and selling the good make a profit, than people who are just exploiting the fact that other people arent charging what they are worth.

I'm with Axver on this one. Concert prices may indeed go up over time, but if U2 raises prices to do some stupid kind of competition with the Stones, that will be extremely disappointing.

It won't stop the scalpers.

But I wonder how many of the traveling, die-hard U2 fans would be able to see multiple shows if they would have to pay $200 per show ... without even the scalpers entering into it.

And how many fans would U2 eliminate from their audiences, fans who for whatever reason cannot spare $200 to see a concert?

U2man, why do you think it would eliminate scalping?

corianderstem said:

U2man, why do you think it would eliminate scalping?

easy:

1) higher ticket prices -> less people would be interested in buying a ticket -> less competition for tickets -> smaller market for scalpers.

2) higher ticket prices -> the profits a scalper could make would be less.

Sure, but he's not a complete asshole bastard who would screw over a lot of fans just so he could be OMG#1BANDINTHEWORLD!

Even if you want to argue that Bono is that bastard and would do it in a heartbeat, do you think U2 as a whole would allow it? Or smack down Bono with a rousing chorus of "fuck no!"

Axver said:

Honestly, I don't like U2 as much as I used to. I'm going to wait and see what their setlist is like first. If it's like the first leg of Vertigo, I'd pay $100, no more. If it's like the fifth leg, I won't go for more than $50 or if someone wants to give me a ticket as a Christmas present.

I simply won't pay more than $100, especially not for a band I've already seen ten bloody times.

If I could write the set, though ... :wink:

I don't know about you, but I would pay 500 dollars each to see the San Diego concerts - just because I'd witness the Boys songs and Gloria for the first time in over 20 years.

And I'd cut of a finger to witness Popmart Sarajevo.

And I'd pay whatever is needed to see U2 again.

(But I totally disagree with U2man though, I couldn't care less if Rolling Stones gross more. U2 should charge what they do now. Fair price for such a great show.)

Last edited:
U2Man said:

easy:

1) higher ticket prices -> less people would be interested in buying a ticket -> less competition for tickets -> smaller market for scalpers.

2) higher ticket prices -> the profits a scalper could make would be less.

Okay, but why hurt fans just to hurt the scalpers? They may as well cut off their noses to spite their faces.

If you want to hurt the scalpers, come up with another way of selling tickets.

God Part III said:

I don't know about you, but I would pay 500 dollars each to see the San Diego concerts - just because I'd witness the Boys songs and Gloria for the first time in over 20 years.

And I'd cut of a finger to witness Popmart Sarajevo.

And I'd pay whatever is needed to see U2 again.

That's all fine and good. I'd pay a higher price as well, but I'm lucky enough to be able to do that once or twice (knock on wood).

It's fine to look out for number one, but what about the fans who can't afford to see their favorite band anymore?

Back
Top Bottom