should u2 increase their ticket prices on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:
how far were the stones shows from being sold out?

The above city to city comparisons should give you a rough idea about how far the Stones had to go to achieve a sellout. The Rolling Stones only soldout one show in Europe, which was in a 20,000 seat arena in Norway!

U2Man said:

not true. and now i'm starting to doubt your figures. the stones played some festival grounds in denmark with a crowd of 100.000+ with ticket prices at least twice as high as u2's. it was a sell out.

Not exactly, but it was an impressive boxscore. Then again, it was their only stadium show in Scandinavia.

The Rolling Stones
Horsens Forum Outdoor
Horsens, Denmark
Sept. 3, 2006
$8,838,178
$104.49
Concert Productions International/Live Nation

The show was just 712 tickets shy of a sellout.

Here is the Stones only other Scandinivian show:

The Rolling Stones
Koengen Festival Site
Bergen, Norway
Sept. 1, 2006
$3,169,218
$155.54
Concert Productions International/Live Nation

Chizip said:

U2 played to more fans in Europe than the US last tour

the funny thing is, everyone says that americans love u2 the most (and u2 loves america the most) and yet they dont dare putting on a stadium show in america anymore.

i think u2 should play stadiums in america again on their next tour.

Sounds like the Rolling Stones isn't as good as manipulating the sell out figure as U2. U2 would never let 712 tickets get in the way from them technically having a sell out :wink:

It could go either way I think. As far as raising ticket prices I guess it wouldn't hurt, but I also think that scalpers will still purchase tickets to the shows and sell them for outrageous prices like they do now. I honestly think that trying to cut out scalpers and ticket agenices would be virtually impossible, but it may help some.

They do it because they know people like us will pay the price no matter how high sometimes. I have paid a fortune to see certain shows from ticket agencies and it's not fun. But maybe with higher tickets prices it will cut down on how many tickets they do purchase. I just don't understand how they get so many of the great seats.

Like someone had posted earlier in the thread maybe just purchase GA tickets to help in cutting the cost. Don't know if it will help, but it's an idea.

Chizip said:
Sounds like the Rolling Stones isn't as good as manipulating the sell out figure as U2. U2 would never let 712 tickets get in the way from them technically having a sell out :wink:

yeah, and im still not certain that the crowd wasnt bigger than 85000. its the kind of venue where its hard to control how many people are actually getting access.

STING2 :up:

:corn: Poor US audiences on Vertigo indeed, and tsk tsk at the manipulative U2.

Last edited:
Its true U2's Scandinavian run is about a half a million dollars short of the Rolling Stones total for just two shows, but all of U2's shows were soldout within hours of going in sale. In contrast, the Stones Denmark show had been on sale for over 6 months.

52. Oslo, Norway : July 27, 2005 : Valle Hovin : GROSS $3,765,136 : ATTENDANCE 40,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

53. Goteborg, Sweden : July 29, 2005 : Ullevi Stadion : GROSS $4,081,864 : ATTENDANCE 58,478 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

54. Copenhagen, Denmark : July 31, 2005 : Parken Stadion : GROSS $3,650,294 : ATTENDANCE 50,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

Madonna's figures for the same Denmark venue that the Stones played are as follows:

Horsens Forum Outdoor Horsens 85,232 / 85,232 (sellout) $11,435,199

Its likely that if U2 had booked the same venue, they would have soldout the venue as well, although probably not at as high a gross given the average ticket prices.

U2Man said:

the funny thing is, everyone says that americans love u2 the most (and u2 loves america the most) and yet they dont dare putting on a stadium show in america anymore.

Its been recognized since the Joshua Tree tour that Europe is U2's #1 market.

the attendance figures for parken stadion are inaccurate. the venue can hold a maximum of 48.000. 45.000 is more likely.

U2Man said:

yeah, and im still not certain that the crowd wasnt bigger than 85000. its the kind of venue where its hard to control how many people are actually getting access.

U2 were able to control how many people attended their Reggio Emilia Italy concert in September 1997. The show was soldout with 150,000 people in attendence.

If it was not possible to control attendance, tickets would not be sold, and people would not bother to buy tickets.

U2Man said:
the attendance figures for parken stadion are inaccurate. the venue can hold a maximum of 48.000. 45.000 is more likely.

You realize the field is GENERAL ADMISSION! Its not about the seating capacity of the stadium, but the number of seats available in the stands given the stage, plus the number of people on the field which is dependent on whether the field is seated or general admission. You can fit more people on the field without the seats. The Stones played seated shows there to 46,000+ people on Voodoo Lounge and 47,000+ people on Bridges To Babylon, naturally a soldout general admission show is going to have a higher attendance. The figures for the U2 shows are from Amusement Business and were printed in Billboard magazine and on www.billboard.com.

Em no i don't think so and then some of us poorer people can't go :eyebrow: :( :madspit:

I've said it once and I'll say it again...

I paid $260 a ticket to see U2 on the last tour.

The answer is not to raise or lower prices, but to make tickets more available by playing stadiums in North America and abroad.

Last edited:
Didn't PM recently say that U2 would chose having sell outs over higher gross? And doesn't that mean they would always chose against raising ticket prices?

It must a tough call to determine what the sweet spot is on ticket price. The ideal would be when everyone who wants a ticket gets from at face from the official outlets - but nobody is ever going to be able to achieve that - you will always get either a black market or unsold tickets.

So if U2 prefer sell outs over gross they will always err on the side of caution on price. I don't really think they could give a damn about touts - in fact I think they'll welcome them as a sign that a tour is successful.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

now now, chizip... if we always relied on facts, what would there be to argue over?

most u.s. tickets were better since you were much closer to the band.

U2Man said:

then they could screw scalpers by increasing supply rather than raising ticket prices. they might even be able to lower pirces, good idea :up:

Larry will make sure we don't spend TOO much on their concert. The ticket prices on Elevation tour were $45, $85 and $130, with the 130's being in the minority. The ticket prices on Vertigo tour were $50, $90 and $160, again with the 160 being the minority. Not much difference, with the exception being the golden circle tickets. I don't see the next tour being much more expensive than this. Maybe $60, $100 and $180 or something like that. Then again, it will depend on what the concert business is like in 2009, as well as what U2's popularity is like in the next couple year, and how well the next album does. And it won't come out until fall 2008.

Chizip said:

then they could screw scalpers by increasing supply rather than raising ticket prices. they might even be able to lower pirces, good idea :up:

if u2 really wanted to show off, maybe they could do both: increase supply AND raise prices - and still sell out every single stadium. now that would teach the stones a lesson :drool:

i don't think they should raise ticket prices.

even if they did, there will still be people who will fork out and snap all the tickets up.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
personal preference.

what would you prefer... a noose bleed seat at madison square garden with the band looking like ants and a few christmas lights behind them, or a noose bleed seat at giants stadium with a huge video wall multimedia orgy behind them?

video wall multimedia orgy :drool:

though I'd take GA in either a stadium or an arena over both of those options :wink:

U2Man said:

if u2 really wanted to show off, maybe they could do both: increase supply AND raise prices - and still sell out every single stadium. now that would teach the stones a lesson :drool:

Well, thats its exactly what they did on the Vertigo Tour except in the United States where they did not play stadiums. Outside the USA/Canada, the band played to more people at higher prices than they have ever done before. Outside the USA/Canada, around 3.2 million people saw the Vertigo Tour, more than ZOO TV or the Stones recent tours.

U2 currently has the highest grossing figure for shows outside the USA/Canada, as well as the highest grossing tour in the history of Europe! Then consider that U2 UNDERPLAYED all these markets because tickets in every single one of them soldout in minutes or hours!

i hate scalpers. if raising prices meant that scalpers would raise theirs too, then that would mean people who wanted those tickets might have to pay unnecessarily high prices for one. =/
and aren't "Ticket brokers" doing basically the same concept?

Back
Top Bottom