Should U2 do more traditional Irish music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Personally I love Tomorrow, In the Name of the Father and Wild Irish Rose.
Larrys has said before that he'd like to do a traditional Irish album. I agree with him!
I think they could do some gorgeous work and have done so before.
We all know they could take traditional Irish and put their own U2 spin on it so it doesnt come out sounding like Daniel O'Donnell!
Bono soars in Wild Irish Rose like a bird through the clouds. Just magic, pure magic.

Any thoughts?

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk*

I'm also very fond of the songs you mentioned, Zooropamanda. Also, Bono's collaboration with Clannad, In A Lifetime. So I hope they do an Irish tinged album sometime.

Hey Autumn, I didnt even see that one! And I wouldnt know about the me being popular bit, my threads tend to die pretty quickly lol

What you said in your thread was interesting.It just strikes me as something great they could do. It was during Popmart that Bono and Larry discussed it. I have it on tape somewhere. Bono said Larry wants to do a traditional album next(that next turning out to be ATYCLB of course) and Bono said "He may get his way." Haha
Looks like the poor drummer's ideas were dumped again.

Critter, how could I forget to even mention one of my all time favourite Bono songs. I've said it before, Bono found his voice on In a Lifetime. Its simply a glorious song.

Autumn if you haven't heard In a Lifetime I suggest you download it. Its one of Bono's best.

Maybe we could start a petition
wink.gif

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk*

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 03-18-2002).]

Amanda...I must agree with you that "In A Lifetime" is one of Bono's best vocals ever...and I saw the video again today on the documentary 'From A Whisper to a Scream', and it is a glorious video as well.

I would also have to agree that it would be great to see U2 make more songs in the vain of Tomorrow, Wild Irish Rose, as well as In A Lifetime and In The Name of the Father, but I just wonder how many fans would thrash them for not sticking with making rock and roll music. I just feel at times that U2 can do no right in the eyes of some fans. That is why they follow their gut instincts of a band that has been together for 25 years and have been as successful as they have. Who knows, maybe they will make a traditional Irish album when they are old and grey and are unable to tour anymore.

And by the way Autumn454, I'm sorry I missed your original post on this subject. I went back and read what you had to say, and you brought up some good topic of discussion.

Chris

I agree with In a Lifetime being one of Bono's top performances

re. doing more traditional irish music
if they really have to sit down and try to put those elements in their music (and I do guess that would be the case right now) I'd rather they didn't and just followed their musical instincts

but, who nows, maybe next decade

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I love Wild irish rose!!!

I have thought about this topic too - i think it would be nice to hear more Irish music from the boys.

------------------
"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked about the airplanes in the videos, and the airport pics on ATYCLB)

"Not just any band...the best band on the planet." - Bono

"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge about playing live

"There's still stuff left for us to do, and that's why we still do it." - Larry, 1998

I too saw the "in a lifetime" clip on that bravo special and bono's voice was "haunting".

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

In the Name of the Father and Tomorrow are still to me more reminiscent of U2 sound than the Irish traditional music. I dont care for the sound of Irish traditional music(or Wild Irish Rose for that matter), and I would prefer if U2 continued making music in the vein that they normally do. An "Irish traditional song" or two might be cool, but not a whole album. I wouldnt be too happy. I dont like extremes in U2 music, and to me, traditional Irish music would be an extreme.

I want the next album to be toward the Thin Lizzy direction!

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Lemons, the chicks- they love the lemon"
-Bono in Rotterdam-

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

i just want u2 to make a punk rock album, very loud and fast.something like boy and october and put in all the experiance they have gained.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

I love traditional Irish music. I love U2. That said, I don't necessarily think the two of them combined would be an automatic good thing.

Bottom line...if they find themselves going in that direction musically, then I'm all ears. But if they don't, I'm not going to be upset either. As long as they're true to themselves, I'll be a happy camper.
smile.gif

Originally posted by critter:
I'm also very fond of the songs you mentioned, Zooropamanda. Also, Bono's collaboration with Clannad, In A Lifetime. So I hope they do an Irish tinged album sometime.

I have the CD of Clannad In A Lifetime, and Bono's voice sounds incredible on it. I don't think U2 would ever do Traditional Irish music.

Autumn454 wrote "They also have never been in any St. Patrick's Day parades as far as I know, wouldn't they be perfect?".

I think I have a bootleg called "U2-St Patrick?s Day" somewhere in my cd-collection. I am at least sure I?ve seen an album with that name, with songs U2 performed at St Patrick?s Day years ago. It might have been in the 80's, but still.
smile.gif

And I agree with you zooropamanda: In the Name of the father, Wild irish rose etc are great. So are "In a lifetime" (Bono/Clannad).

Back
Top Bottom