Should they bring out The Wanderer on the next tour????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

I`ve been listening to The Wanderer from the J.Cash show again this week.
And I`ve been blown away by it ( yet ) again.

Question : should they bring out The Wanderer on the next tour?
And should it be like the J.Cash show version?

I say...they should do it but not every gig.
And most definetly NOT acoustic:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

the band will play song with Cash's vocals and he will appear on big video screen... that's how I would like to see it performed...

Hmm I actually like the Wa Wa Wa Wandering bit. It adds that extra touch the song needs to stand out live. I think it should be played, but it would be placed somewhere in the middle or the end of the main set list.

elevated_u2_fan said:
as long as they refrain from the awful Del Shannon "Wa-Wa-Was" going forward I'm all for it...

I think they rehearsed it prior to LA without the Wa Wa's but they still had the Edge singing falsetto at the end. Obviously the wa wa's was something added late before they recorded it in LA. They should have left it as they originally rehearsed it.

I doubt it will ever be played at an actual show. But I guess you never know.

mandrake said:
Hmm I actually like the Wa Wa Wa Wandering bit. It adds that extra touch the song needs to stand out live. I think it should be played, but it would be placed somewhere in the middle or the end of the main set list.

I fully agree...

U2lunatic said:
the band will play song with Cash's vocals and he will appear on big video screen... that's how I would like to see it performed...

I completely agree- a version similar to Satellite of Love from Zoo TV with Bono-Cash duet, except performed with full band.

I think a cool way to perform the song would be like this: on a single screen high above the stadium crowd, a video montage of Cash performances put together of him singing the Wanderer just like the Window in the Skies video. then leading right into a full band performance of WITS. I really like the supernatural effect that Satellite of Love from ZooTV had. Before I knew who Lou Reed was, I thought he was dead and U2 were 'channeling' him during the ZooTV performances. Of course I found out later who he was and still alive. Combine that with the satellite gone, way up to the sky--->window in the skies and I think that would be a sweet way to see those performed while paying tribute to J Cash without being super tacky.

One last thing, there was the rumor of a song 'North Star' U2 wrote as a tribute to Johnny. Maybe it will see the day of light and throw that into the mix, could be really amazing. :ohmy:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
only if they can bring back Johnny Cash, too

Wouldnt he stink the venue out?:wink:

I think the JC tribute is an excellnt rendition and superior to the original. I would love to see it in a set.

I'm honestly surprised that they put so much effort into rehearsing it for the tribute special and yet didn't play it at any Vertigo Tour gigs.

And if it comes back, definitely keep the wa-wa-wandering part. I don't understand the hatred for it on this forum. I think it's part of what makes the tribute version better than the studio version.

If they planned playing it live they would have have done it on the last tour.

I like that we have the special J. Cash tribute version only.

The band-live, but Cash-singing-on-screen idea is nice, but wouldn't it be too much like Lou Reed on Satellite of love on Zoo TV ?

Leave it as it was. The studio version is amazing, and I think Johnny's human vocals against the electronic backing music creates an incredible effect. The live version is good because the music is in a different key, flows better, and is a full band performance. I always dreamed of hearing a version of the song sung by Bono, so I'm glad to have that. But don't play it on the next tour, because of 2 reasons:

1. It would tank live, and they'd drop it after 4 shows. Why? Because U2 would never challenge their "casual fans" that much. Going back to the Boy stuff on the last tour was cool, because it was RETRO. U2 are never going to make the rich guys in the golden circle sit through "a song they've never heard, that Bono didn't even sing, on the experimental, weird album that they've never listen to, or even heard of"

2. I go to a lot of concerts. A "Trend" that is starting to annoy me is how every band has to pay tribute to Johnny Cash. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Cash fan, and think he's deserving of tribute. But when bands like Flogging Molly or Fallout Boy are paying tribute to him, it's no longer a tribute, it's an insult to a great musical career. I think U2 should be the first band to jump off the Johnny Cash tribute wagon and just let his legacy be.

U2girl said:

The band-live, but Cash-singing-on-screen idea is nice, but wouldn't it be too much like Lou Reed on Satellite of love on Zoo TV ?
that is exactly what i was thinking. i thought they would have done it on the vertigo as well since they did a ramones tribute on the elevation tour.

U2girl said:

I admit it would be very close to the zootv version of satellite, but that's the point. Basically, I've drawn a line connecting ZooTV in Sydney during Bono's phone call speech where he says the glory of Zoo TV must ascend and take its place with all the other satellites. 'The Wanderer' for me, has always had a euligizing quality to it, being the final track on Zooropa, post-apocalyptic qualities, a man speaking about having 'nothing but the thought of you' (insert connection to June Carter-Cash), a lonely, lost and downtrodden man. I can't help but think of the music video for 'Hurt' where video footage of Cash's career was pasted together, then instantly thinking of the Window/Skies video where those video snippets could be connected to him singing "The Wanderer' because I highly doubt there's actual video of Johnny singing it. This could then be a nice bridge between eras from ZOO TV to WITS and into the next album if the supposed 'north star' tribute song were released. I'm just throwing the idea out to find a new connection and gets me excited even if it never happens. If it ever actually happened, it would be great for casual fans, and hardcore fans would have a true appreciation linking all the references together :wink:

mofo82 said:

I can't help but think of the music video for 'Hurt' where video footage of Cash's career was pasted together, then instantly thinking of the Window/Skies video where those video snippets could be connected to him singing "The Wanderer' because I highly doubt there's actual video of Johnny singing it.

Actually, there may be footage of him singing it. He used to play it when he was on tour. A friend of mine saw him in 1994 or 1995 and they said he played The Wanderer. I dont think it sounded like what was on Zooropa though. Same lyrics only.

Blue Room said:

Actually, there may be footage of him singing it. He used to play it when he was on tour. A friend of mine saw him in 1994 or 1995 and they said he played The Wanderer. I dont think it sounded like what was on Zooropa though. Same lyrics only.

Really?! Man, I'd love to see that footage. Goes to check youtube right away...:drool:

To me, Johnny Cash is The Wanderer. In no way can I separate the two.

Back
Top Bottom