Should The Electric Co be played again on the next tour????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

Question : Should The Electric Co be played again on the next tour????

I say...hell YES!!!!
Coz ,

A : it was THE highlight of the Vertigo Tour.

B: the way they played it on Vertigo was their best version of the song ever.
( the snippets were outstanding and Edge WAS on fire:wink: )

So what you all think , should it return?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

No. Boy has had its revival on Vertigo, they can bring out another old album (War? UF?).

That said I won't complain if we will get to hear it on the future tours, occasionally.

U2girl said:
No. Boy has had its revival on Vertigo, they can bring out another old album (War? UF?).

While I agree they should bring out another old album, I think that The Electric Co. should be moved from the "drawn from the Boy archives" category to that of a live regular that I Will Follow is already in.

You know, I normally don't like songs being played at every gig, and I'm sure that if The Electric Co. ever did start getting played at every show for the amount of time that Pride and One have been, I'd advocate it being ditched, but at this stage? Lock it in as a permanent setlist member. It's that good. I don't care what tired old warhorse they ditch in its favour.

Definitely. And their other biggest rockers like Exit, Last Night on Earth and Dirty Day should make a comeback as well.

I think it should be dropped for something like A celebration, A day without me, twilight, October, Tomorrow or............Like a song:drool:

Last edited:
Elevation Tour: they brought back Out Of Control.

Vertigo Tour: they brought back The Electric Co.

Next Tour: how about 11 O'Clock Tick Tock?!

I was going to say that I'd rather see it out to allow for some other oldie to slip into the setlist. However, I'd have to agree with Axver----keep it in and swap out one of the tired old warhorses, i.e. SBS or Bullet.

I agree Friends that some overplayed war horses should get the chop in favor of Electric Co.

These are my top 5 that I would like to get the chop ,

01 - Pride:madspit: ( nuff said )
02 - One ( it has become way to boring after Popmart
03 - ISHFWILF ( was boring after Zoo-TV )
04 - SBS
05 - WOWY ( or if they could play it again like Zoo-TV 1992 , keep it in )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I was lucky enough to see Electric Co. performed twice. And it rocked hard both times :)

That being said I agree that another Boy/October/War tune should come back. Twilight anyone?

U2Soar said:
Elevation Tour: they brought back Out Of Control.

Vertigo Tour: they brought back The Electric Co.

Next Tour: how about 11 O'Clock Tick Tock?!

They did play 11 O'Clock a few times on Elevation.

Electric Co was one of the highlights of the Vertigo tour for me. One of my favorite older tunes. I wouldnt mind it being played on the next tour but I think it should be sporadic if done. That said my guess is it wont be played since it was ditched after the 3rd leg basically.

The Boy trilogy (Electric Co./An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart) really had its perfect fit in the Vertigo setlist. Even the song Vertigo had the naturally well placed Stories of Boys snippet, another Boy track. Boy and Bomb went well together in that environment. I hope that future tours can continue to reintroduce their early works. I don't necessarily need my Electric Co. fix on the next go, but yes it is a damn great track.
What I do need is for their next album to create an opportunity for some of their early works to shine in the new tour environment. Imagine if this new experimental album (if it is such) created a sound that meant songs like Wire or the Unforgettable Fire were to gain a new life on the tour. What I also loved about the Boy trilogy on the last tour is the fact that there were a lot of people who believed this was new U2 material. Some people were pretty shocked to find out these were 25 years old. I'd like to see this sort of thing happen again on the next tour. Even if it meant in place of the Electric Co.

zoopop said:
I was lucky enough to see Electric Co. performed twice. And it rocked hard both times

Very cool my Friend , can`t agree more.

I saw Electric Co at all 3 Amsterdam shows and I was totally blown away by it.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

It probably wouldn't make it into every night's set, but it was too damn good to go back in the vault.

But I'm also still holding out hope that this next tour will be the one when they finally bring back Two Hearts Beat As One.

I loved Electric Co, think they should keep it, and drop a couple others.

They should bring back Unforgettable Fire and A Sort of Homecoming! I would LOVE to hear ASOH!!!! :drool:

I was actually more excited to see Until the End of the World for the first encore starter. I completely wasn't expecting it and it rocked me the fuck out.

Canadiens1160 said:
I was actually more excited to see Until the End of the World for the first encore starter. I completely wasn't expecting it and it rocked me the fuck out.

LOL.

Did you fall down when the band came in after the war call?

"Until..." was the 1st song on the encore in Monterrey Mexico and it did rock out!!

Axver said:
While I agree they should bring out another old album, I think that The Electric Co. should be moved from the "drawn from the Boy archives" category to that of a live regular that I Will Follow is already in.

You know, I normally don't like songs being played at every gig, and I'm sure that if The Electric Co. ever did start getting played at every show for the amount of time that Pride and One have been, I'd advocate it being ditched, but at this stage? Lock it in as a permanent setlist member. It's that good. I don't care what tired old warhorse they ditch in its favour.

Agree completely!

They should bring back 11 O Clock Tick Tock, A Sort Of Homecoming or The Unforgettable Fire! Or better yet... Acrobat!!! :wink:

Mauwer said:
I agree Friends that some overplayed war horses should get the chop in favor of Electric Co.

04 - SBS

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Absolutely agree for the overplayed songs :wink:

Roland of Gilead said:
What I do need is for their next album to create an opportunity for some of their early works to shine in the new tour environment. Imagine if this new experimental album (if it is such) created a sound that meant songs like Wire or the Unforgettable Fire were to gain a new life on the tour.

Interesting thought. If the album has an Arabic influence, it'd be cool to see if that rubs off on any of the new back catalog performances...:hmm:

Out of them all I would like to hear The Unforgettable Fire. From what Ihave read about the new album they have been looking for a bigger sound, using different instruments etc and I think UF would fit in with the new direction and tour. A Sort Of Homecoming should be left for Dublin. Old songs I'd like to hear are In God's Country, I Fall Down, Surrender and how about Even Better Than The Real Thing coming back or a reworked version of Lemon, given an overhaul like The Fly was.

Utoo said:
Interesting thought. If the album has an Arabic influence, it'd be cool to see if that rubs off on any of the new back catalog performances...:hmm:

Besides Fast Cars, though, what songs would that kind of influence rub off on? Maybe Bono will spout that drivel about how Moroccan and Irish music are connected and decide that since UF is the band's most Irish sounding album, they'll play lots from it.

Or ... he'll somehow decide the first half of JT is the most Irish sounding release and just stick with that. You know you wouldn't be shocked.

I'd rather hear something like Exit or Unforgettable Fire brought back for the next tour.

Maybe UF could fit in with the new songs they've been working on with Eno and Lanois too. Who knows.

Axver said:

Besides Fast Cars, though, what songs would that kind of influence rub off on?

I think an Arabic-inspired Wire would be interesting to hear. EBTTRT would certainly be...different....and would either be awesome or terrible. Discotheque lends itself to some creativity, too, though I doubt they'll put much time into it if since they didn't give it much of a shot on the last tour. Some of the spacier stuff, i.e. Indian Summer Sky, might sound cool with some Moroccan instruments...but it'd be so great to hear that live at all that I'd hate to see it tampered around with.

Last edited:
Utoo said:
I think an Arabic-inspired Wire would be interesting to hear. EBTTRT would certainly be...different....and would either be awesome or terrible. Discotheque lends itself to some creativity, too, though I doubt they'll put much time into it if since they didn't give it much of a shot on the last tour. Some of the spacier stuff, i.e. Indian Summer Sky, might sound cool with some Moroccan instruments...but it'd be so great to hear that live at all that I'd hate to see it tampered around with.

Wire and EBTTRT? Hmm. I think I can see that. And your point about Discotheque has certainly been demonstrated by how distinctly different the various live versions are.

I suppose there's the obvious Mysterious Ways connection - not that it needs to be revived. Honestly, I think MW needs a rest urgently unless U2 can reinvent it somehow. Perhaps the Moroccan sessions will inspire them to revisit the music video and try to do something new with the song.

I'm wondering if they could adapt Kite to some new influences. We all have heard (and you and I saw) just how amazingly well the didgeridoo was incorporated into it, so it definitely has potential.

Mauwer said:

04 - SBS

Cheers ,

Mauwer
Great list, indeed those songs are getting very very boring they should be given some rest...

Electric Co should be kept in or at least play it a lot of times. 11 o´clock tick tock, the version they played at Irving plaza rocks! What about Like a song? And get back zooropa and POP!

O yes and Kite! Should be played every gig!

Back
Top Bottom