Should i read this book first......Help please???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono-vox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
maze of your imagination, where the streets have n
I have the Lord of the Rings books to read over Crimbo, thank goodness for crimbo holidays Ive been seriously missing reading my books these days with school, anyhoo, should I read the Hobbit first or should I just go and read part 1 of lord of the rings?

I need some info soon cus im nearly finished Dracula and Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire (which is a really kool book
biggrin.gif
) and i'll be looking for something else to read, thanks
biggrin.gif

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

I'm about to read Lord of the rings too (again!), as the movie will come to our cinemas next month. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT.

Personally, i saw the cartoon first, then, years later, i read the book - Lord of the rings first, and after that, a few years later, The Hobbit. Even though Hobbit is supposed to be a prequel to the Lord of the rings.

ps: when i go to the library, i''l be sure to look for Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire - i got the "Philosopher's stone" for last New Year's day, i loved it. I also read the second and the third book of the series - enjoyed them very much too!
And i'm probably going to see the Harry Potter movie this weekend!

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-18-2001).]

depends on what kind of a reader you are, I guess. The Hobbit was originally more a children's book so it's an easier read than the LOTR trilogy. And it does give some backstory. But I think you could skip it, jump right into the trilogy and be ok.

*going to see the movie toniiiiiite!

-sula

Originally posted by U2girl:
I'm about to read Lord of the rings too (again!), as the movie will come to our cinemas next month. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT.

Personally, i saw the cartoon first, then, years later, i read the book - Lord of the rings first, and after that, a few years later, The Hobbit. Even though Hobbit is supposed to be a prequel to the Lord of the rings.

ps: when i go to the library, i''l be sure to look for Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire - i got the "Philosopher's stone" for last New Year's day, i loved it. I also read the second and the third book of the series - enjoyed them very much too!
And i'm probably going to see the Harry Potter movie this weekend!

OOOh the movie aint as good as the book
frown.gif

The 4th book is the best by far, Im nearly finished and ive been reading it a day and a half,
smile.gif

------------------

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
errr...so you've read the book and seen the movie already?

Yes ive read the harry potter books and seen the harry potter movie why? the movie came out here like a month ago
biggrin.gif

------------------

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare

Originally posted by bono-vox:
Yes ive read the harry potter books and seen the harry potter movie why? the movie came out here like a month ago
biggrin.gif

oh oh oh. My mistake, I thought you were referring to LOTR book and movie. Thus my confusion.
biggrin.gif

I haven't read or seen any Harry Potter, so I shall take yer word on those.

OOOh the movie aint as good as the book
frown.gif

Well the director Chris Columbus said the testing audience for the movie was 50% of those who read the book and 50% of those who haven't.
Those who have read the book loved it, and those who didn't wanted to read the book (which i think is a good thing to be achieved by a movie).

I think that Harry is created by each reader on his own. I know i have my vision of it, so i don't think the movie can change that.

Considering the movie is very faithful to the book, i'll probably like it.
smile.gif

Originally posted by U2girl:
Well the director Chris Columbus said the testing audience for the movie was 50% of those who read the book and 50% of those who haven't.
Those who have read the book loved it, and those who didn't wanted to read the book (which i think is a good thing to be achieved by a movie).

I think that Harry is created by each reader on his own. I know i have my vision of it, so i don't think the movie can change that.

Considering the movie is very faithful to the book, i'll probably like it.
smile.gif

Peeves aint in the movie, the movie is REALLY good, its jsut i found the book more exciting, it must b an irish thing all my friends who read the book found the book better than the film.

------------------

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare

im nearly finished Dracula and Harry Potter

Dracula is one of the best books ever written, in my humble opinion. Coppola's movie adaptation was ok, but again Hollywood had to ruin it by putting a sappy love story in there. What's up with that? Do we have to ruin every classic out there by putting a love story. They did the same thing in Lord of the rings. Liv Tyler's character only appears in 1 page in the whole book, but in the movie, she's an amazonian warrior and defenders of the hobbits. Jeesh!

Anyways back to work.

it must b an irish thing

LOL!

I guess it's a matter of taste: some enjoy the book more, and some enjoy the movie more.

ps: I remember reading Dracula for the first time and it scared the living daylights out of me! Especially the beginning part. (Jonathan Harker's diary from the castle)

Haven't seen any of the movies though.

Originally posted by Seconds:
Dracula is one of the best books ever written, in my humble opinion. Coppola's movie adaptation was ok, but again Hollywood had to ruin it by putting a sappy love story in there. What's up with that? Do we have to ruin every classic out there by putting a love story. They did the same thing in Lord of the rings. Liv Tyler's character only appears in 1 page in the whole book, but in the movie, she's an amazonian warrior and defenders of the hobbits. Jeesh!

Anyways back to work.

Dracula, hehe, this is my second time reading it since September, I saw one movie version of it and i didnt like it...books usually tend to be better but you cant go wrong with Dead poets Society, the film and the book are jsut the same
biggrin.gif

------------------

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare

I read LOTR without reading Hobbit and didn't have a problem. just read the intro.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom