Should I lie?? What Should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brkngrrl

The Fly
I don't post much but I need some ideas. I am going to see U2 in Providence but I have my genetics exam in Boston on the same day..I need to be in that GA line, but my professor is not very nice and she doesnt give makeup exams...I want to ask her if I can take it a day early, but what should I use for an excuse?? I obviously can not tell her that I am going to wait in line all day for a concert. My sister suggested I use the sick relative excuse....I don't know...So if anyone has any good ideas as to what the reason should be for not being able to take the exam that day, please feel free to share!

Well how far off is the concert?

Let me say this much, you get caught and youre screwed. Perhaps if you discuss it now, with your prof and the associate dean you can work out something. They should be fairly understanding.

Luckily, I don't have the same problem! All my tests are this week, Dammit!

In my experiences, most professors let people take exams early. Find this out! Otherwise, Plan B.

All I can say is if I had a grandpa for everytime I used the excuse, "My Grandpa died," I'd be visiting a lot of graves on Memorial Day!

------------------
13 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell your professor you have to go out of town to be in a wedding. That was the lie I was going to tell my boss-yes I finally got a job! I told my boss upfront that I would need the sunday off before austin, and he was like "okay". I had this elaborate lie worked out and I won't even need it!

Yes, definately lie!!
biggrin.gif

There are priorities in life. U2 definately comes before class. I will be missing class and work...oh well. It is worth it!!! They won't be back for a few years!!!

------------------
Goonies never say die!

Yep-sometimes you just gotta say "F**K IT"

U2 are more important than work or school!

DUH
wink.gif

LIE LIE LIE!

Mass moral corruption... I feel right at home here... I WOULD have said to lie, but everyone needs a voice of reason, at least I tried...

Lie it is then!
U2 is definately a priority and school takes up too much of my time as it is! I like the wedding idea...that could work. Hopefully she will agree to let me take it a day early. This would be so much easier if they were playing in Boston again. Oh, well, at least they are coming back!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Your sister's getting married and you're the bridesmaid.

(Momentarily disregard my signature.)

LOL!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

I have to come up with a "funeral" excuse in a couple weeks. I figure with a death, they'll feel sorry and be more willing. Like tell 'em I have a funeral, and do the work early is my plan. Bad but true.

Truth will always prevail. Write her a short letter. If she says no, go anyway and take the exam next time. We can wait a few more months for a new Geneoligist.

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

LIE LIE LIE!

Had the time off work to go to the first Slane but when they announced a second date I needed just under two weeks off - which I knew I'd never get.

Wasn't prepared to give up U2 for a job I hate anyway so just pretended to be 'sick' for the week and despite asking why I sounded a little 'distant'
wink.gif
when I phoned in - I got away with it!
biggrin.gif

Just tell them you have food poisoning - they won't want to know the details...

I was to go, but something happened, so I had to cancel my trip.

My situation was: As I don't have any days left that I can take off from work, I started to act really strange, so my boss thought that I have serious problems. He was really worried. So I thought, that like five days before the first gig I would tell him, that I needed to take a few days off due to some problems I can't really talk about
biggrin.gif
I knew it would have worked, dammit! LOL

I'm such bastid!

------------------

u2_anim.gif

Masta Cow

I'm afraid to use the old funeral excuse. Just seems like bad luck to me.

BTW, Catdubh, your sig is cool!!!

------------------
Goonies never say die!

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 10-03-2001).]

Trade your ticket for a GA for the other Providence concert.

Or take a zero on the exam.

Or drop the class and take it the next semester it's offered.

I'm a graduate student, so I've taught and graded for several classes at my school, and it really bothers me that most of you would consider lying to your instructor's face.

If I were the instructor, I might allow you to take my exam a day early, but just because your instructor won't comply with your wishes doesn't mean it's okay to resort to deception.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 10-03-2001).]

I wouldn't lie. If you get caught, you'll get a zero on that exam and there's no wat the prof would let you take it over then. Believe me, you may think this is more important than U2 at this time, but if you get a zero on an exam, you can almost bet the farm that you will fail the class. So, I guess the question you'll have to ask yourself is "Is this worth having to take the class again?" I'm 34 years old, and I goofed my way through college. I wound up with 94 hours but never graduated because I wanted to "make some money". Well, it took me 9 or 10 years to make the kind of money I would be making if I'd got my college degree. I have a good job now, and decent money, but I see people with a degree doing my job for a lot more. Anyway, that's how I would approach the situation. But, I have already seen U2 (back in 85), so that has a little to do with it, also. Don't forget that the DVD will soon be released, and you won't have to be in a large crowd standing on your tippy toes just to see the band and getting beer spilled on you and come home smelling like cigarettes and marijuana.

Well speedracer, I'm actually not lying about anything. On Monday I'll be turning a paper in early, because I won't be in class wednesday when it is due because of the south bend show. This I am explaining to my prof, and I'm also telling him that I won't be in class either on Monday because of the chicago show. The class is intro to popular music. He's a cool guy--I'm sure he will understand especially since I've been to every class so far this semester. It's my favorite class.

As for the Brit Lit class I'll be missing Monday morning, I'm not doing/saying anything. Nothing is due, so it's just going to be like one of those days where you just don't feel like getting up at 8 and going to class.

You only live once. Seize the day.

P.S. 80sU2...I'm in college. We always smell like beer, pot, and cigs anyway...
smile.gif

it's unavoidable
------------------
Goonies never say die!

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 10-03-2001).]

Given all that is going on, I think it's in remarkably poor taste to lie about a funereal. Why would you possibly want to exploit someone's empathy like that? This is not a moral dilema - you know lying's wrong. There's no dilema there. The dilema is whether or not you want to act immorally. Regardless of your choice, a "sick relative" or "funereal" is a terrible thing to lie about

Maybe you just try to be honest and explain the whole situation to your professor. There is at least a slight chance she might be tolerant.

------------------
beLIEve

Originally posted by brkngrrl:
I don't post much but I need some ideas. I am going to see U2 in Providence but I have my genetics exam in Boston on the same day..I need to be in that GA line, but my professor is not very nice and she doesnt give makeup exams...I want to ask her if I can take it a day early, but what should I use for an excuse?? I obviously can not tell her that I am going to wait in line all day for a concert. My sister suggested I use the sick relative excuse....I don't know...So if anyone has any good ideas as to what the reason should be for not being able to take the exam that day, please feel free to share!

in first year a friend of mine had three of his four christmas exams on the first two days of the exam period, the fourth was on the last day which was 2 and 1/2 weeks later. of course he didn't want to wait for 2 weeks or go home and come back. so he told the prof that his sister was expecting a baby in miami(we're in ottawa) the day before the test so the prof moved his exam to like the 5th day of the exam period and he went home.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

mmmmm,
maybe LikeO2 could tell you what to do

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Back
Top Bottom