Should I Buy Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would ask here: Is the DVD for the latest Greatest Hits ( buffaloes) any good? Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns it. Also, what is the plural of buffalo? buffaloes, ...buffalos, ...buffali...? Oh never mind that part!

Billy Boola? Never heard of it. I must confess that I own the cassette version of Pop, and I have listened to it maybe 3x ever, threw it in a drawer and promptly forgot about it. I have dragged it out and played it (before I saw Chicago 1) but must admit it hasn't really grown on me much. Perhaps I shall play it again and again this weekend! (I drive a 97 beemer that has a cassette player in it - no cd!)

One more thing - better add Electrical Storm to the sexy list!

Last edited:
That DVD is awesome!!! 90s videos... :drool: And Beverly, give Pop another chance! It's one of their best albums... so criminally underrated. :tsk:

beli said:
The DVD has the option to listen to the director speak about the video, on certain ones. It also has the alternative versions of a number of videos.

plus 3 documentaries!

The Story of 'One', the one about playing Sarajevo and the one about shooting the Electrical Storm video.

I absolutely love all of them... :drool:

Zootlesque said:

plus 3 documentaries!

The Story of 'One', the one about playing Sarajevo and the one about shooting the Electrical Storm video.

I absolutely love all of them... :drool:

oh yeah I almost forgot about all those!! :D

But the best part is the music videos...The Fly...Discotheque...:drool:

anyone who says Pop is a waste of money is wrong, and I'm right. Go buy it.

I think you definitely should buy POP. And here's why:

Dicotheque - One of Edge's best riffs in my opinion, the whole song is awesome, the melody and lyrics are pretty cool and the BOOM-CHAS at the end are awesome. Great opener and hilarious video.

Do You Feel Loved - We go from one of Edge's best riffs to one of Adam's best riffs. The man owns this song. Larry is playing some pretty cool stuff there too. Great song.

MOFO - Pretty much sums up the kind of sound they were after I think but this is really more intense in that way. Great and very revealing lyrics. It definitely doesn’t sounds like anything they had done before, it’s electronic rock and it works out great. Again Adam kicks ass in it. Would have been a great album opener too.

If God Will Send His Angels - One of Bono's catchiest melodies, I don't know how this song wasn’t a bigger hit single. Once again great lyrics. Some people say this song sounds undeveloped but I think it sounds perfect.

Starring At The Sun - And again great lyrics. I love this version but I actually prefer the acoustic version, believe it or not. Some very cool and interesting guitar stuff on this song.

Last Night On Earth - One of my favorite U2 rockers! This is definitely one of U2's best live songs, very intense and cool. Heavy guitar riff, great bass line, awesome lyrics and catchy chorus, perfect to blow your lungs out while singing it. "Who haven't been to bed in a week will be dead soon and still won't sleep..."

Gone – With an intro as good as Until The End Of the World this is another of U2's best rockers. Very revealing lyrics from Bono too here. The whole band sounds great in it; I love how the drum and bass work here. And Edge is the man on the live version with his guitar and backing vocals.

Miami - Very experimental song with very interesting lyrics. The riff is quite good too. Edge really came up with some great and very rock n' roll guitar riffs for this album as ironic as that sounds.

The Playboy Mansion - Some hate it, some love it. I love it. This is a very rich and colorful album. It's also filled with some of Bono's best and coolest melodies. And this is one of them in my opinion. I love the lyrics and the slide guitar. Amazing vocal harmonies from The Edge.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress - A 50's kind of song done with a 90's kind of production. It works even better live and the Jools Holland version is out of this world.

Please - Another great wok from everybody. And another of Bono's best lyrics and melodies. One of the most interesting songs U2 has ever done. Bono laying his hart out about his country, AMAZING bass and drum work (maybe the best on the album along with DYFL) and very interesting guitar sounds from The Edge. Worked great live too.

Wake Up Dead Man - A classic closer, doesn't sound much like anything else U2 has done before but doesn't really have anything new and original to it. It has some kind of melancholic feel to it but it’s very upbeat. Bono's lyrics and Larry's free-style drumming are the highlights.

re: the DVD

I babysit for these people who own it! Every time I go over there I try to get the bratty little kids off to bed by like 7:30, and I watch it. :drool:

Once I had it so loud, the kid came to the top of the stairs and was like "you're keeping me up" :ohmy:

they have surround sound though :rockon: I bring my slane DVD sometimes too, just for the surround sound aspect. it's actually this really nifty thing, you can put it on "rock concert" settings and everything to make it feel more like youre there.

TheBrazilianFly - brilliant post, I agree with all of it! :up: I prefer the acoustic Staring at the Sun as well, it has a Mexican vibe or something, really cool.

VertigoGal - Hilarious. You win.

I agree with Atomic Bono. Great post, BrazillianFly! You've described the songs well. When you mentioned that Mofo could be an album opener, I went :hmm: .... time for a playlist! :hyper:

VertigoGal: babysitting the kids watching U2 videos? :shame:

:wink:

haha, that's not the worst of it...last time i went over there, it was gone! :ohmy: so i searched the house high and low, and finally found it in the master bedroom. it was all quite dramatic, with scary pets i'd never seen before popping out of nowhere, and kids sticking their heads out of their bedrooms, wondering what i was doing in mommy and daddys room. i was very stealthy. :shifty:

it all ended well though. :up:

BrazilianFly, I definitely agree with you about Gone. The Edge backing vocals on the live versions are :drool:

Zootlesque said:
I agree with Atomic Bono. Great post, BrazillianFly! You've described the songs well. When you mentioned that Mofo could be an album opener, I went :hmm: .... time for a playlist! :hyper:

Of course you do, because I'm right.

Wow VertigoGal, you make it sound like some kinda insane mission... just to find the U2 DVD... I'm glad it ended well though :D

MOFO!!!! :rockon:

Thanks folks. :eek: :D

Zootlesque said:

I actually made one:

Mofo
Do You Feel Loved
Miami
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Starring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Discotheque
The Playboy Mansion
If God Will Send His Angels
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

I love this playlist. :drool:

that looks like an awesome track order...usually when people post their personal compilations and track orders and stuff, im just like 'good for you' and make up one of my own. :wink:

but this i must try :drool:

I like the idea of Discotheque-->Playboy Mansion-->IGWSHA

TheBrazilianFly said:
Thanks folks. :eek: :D

I actually made one:

Mofo
Do You Feel Loved
Miami
Starring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Discotheque
The Playboy Mansion
If God Will Send His Angels
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

I love this playlist. :drool:

Interesting...I'm going to try that, with some live versions of the songs cuz I just download Hasta La Vista Baby :drool: I need more Popmart bootlegs...

MOFO!!!! :rockon:

VertigoGal said:
yeah, I might have to put one of my live versions of Please....they just blow the album version away :rockon:

Please live is just incredible... Edge's guitarwork at the end with Bono practically screaming beautifully... amazing.

and of course the segue into Streets...:drool: but that's not on the playlist. I love the falsetto he does before Streets, though. Damn I hope Please shows up on this tour. Especially on December 10th.

You know what else would rule...?

MOFO!!!!! :rockon:

I actually made one:

Mofo
Do You Feel Loved
Miami
Starring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Discotheque
The Playboy Mansion