Should Every Concert Close With '40'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Achtung_Bebe said:

I had seen that site before & admire it greatly, but didn't realize you were affiliated.

Truth be told, I ended up working for the site because I'm such a big fan of it. In high school, I had free study lessons in the library, and I passed many such lessons perusing the site, back in the day when it was elevation-tour.com. Then about this time last year, I exchanged some e-mail correspondence, and suddenly I'm working on the site! I now handle the bulk of the writing and trivia duties, while the owner of the site does the important work that actually keeps the place online!

A similar thing happened to me in Math, only I wasn't one of those "couldn't get a question wrong" types. :wink: I had a feeling you were mathematically inclined, though.

The one thing that didn't slip during my two years of bad teaching was my knowledge of Pi. :drool: (I once successfully recited Pi to 353 decimal places.)

40 is the closer. Don't think it gets old ,in general, because it is short, the sentiment is strong, and there is a lot of audience participation. Bad is probably my favorite of U2s songs, and love Walk On too - But the closer is 40.

Mothers of the Dissapeared/El Pueblo Vencera reaches the same heights as 40 imo, though it never was a closer (full band) afaik. The Ocean was also good but a bit too "down" to end with.

Having personally experienced Walk On, 40 and Vertigo as closers, I'd have to say that "40" was definitely the worst of the 3.

Sure hardcore fans thought it was good, but a LOT of people have never heard it before. Keep in mind this is a 23 year old song that is mainly known for closing concerts in the 1980's. I experienced the "40" from the Vertigo Chicago DVD on May 9th. It was okay but seemed too slow and too flat; not to mention that a lot of people even on the floor had never heard the song before.

On the other hand, I was front row on May 10th when Vertigo closed and that was AMAZING. The Live from Chicago DVD would have really benefited from showing the 2nd Vertigo (and party girl for all that's worth)

I do think that a simple acoustic Yahweh would work well as a closer, but I do think they need to switch it up from time to time.

The boys have been closing with "40" for a long of time. I personally think it gets a little mundane. I'm hoping they close with "Bad" in Hawaii because ending with "Vertigo" will make me
throw a fit!

I don't know how to explain the way they played "40" in Cleveland...it was sort of with like a rock bit to it, but no, sadly I have no audio :(...

I loved seeing 40 close the concert I went to, but I wouldn't be opposed to having Bad or Vertigo close the show. All those songs are awesome. I just loved singing 40 along with everyone as we were leaving the arena.

Nisse said:
Mothers of the Dissapeared/El Pueblo Vencera reaches the same heights as 40 imo, though it never was a closer (full band) afaik. The Ocean was also good but a bit too "down" to end with.

I don't believe it had El Pueblo Vencera, but a full band Mothers Of The Disappeared closed the 14 April 1987 concert in San Diego.

Back
Top Bottom