Should Bullet been taken out of the setlist??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
I feel like it?s not appropriate to play the song right now. Not with the war going on.

What do you think???

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by AM:
I feel like it?s not appropriate to play the song right now. Not with the war going on.

What do you think???

I say play it. People can make reasons not to play a lot of their songs (SBS, Please, New York, Wake Up Dead Man, Unforgettable Fire, the list goes on and on) given the current situation. I say continue on as they did. Bono and the band will give the songs the appropriate treatment for the situation and shed the appropriate light on them.

Amy

hi am matey
smile.gif

I dont think it should go. it hasnt got anythign to do with this war and its a statement about something from another time.

nah, i say leave it

Originally posted by AM:

What do you think???

It has to be played. Its always appropriate.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
I dont think it should go. it hasnt got anythign to do with this war and its a statement about something from another time.

This song's meaning can be construed and applied to many different scenerios and situations including now. That is the reason this song should be played.

CK

------------------
I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

TheU2 I agree with you and was going to say that before. It does make a statement and relate to now and you're right, its a reason that it should be played.
We shouldn't be hiding away from what's happening. Bands renaming themselves and not playing songs is wrong in my opinion.

I think the song should be played.. It is one song that really brings emotion out in people, and I think that's a good thing right now.. I don't think any song should be banned b/c of Sept 11.. I had a friend die that day, and the first song I played that night was Sunday Bloody Sunday..These songs have different meanings for everybody..

I'm not a huge fan of the song, as it's been played heavily, and most people have heard it at some time. Therefore, I won't shed any tears if it's not in the setlist. But at the same time, I don't think they'll dump it because of the attacks.

Originally posted by AM:

What do you think???

I agree that it is not appropriate, but U2 may stick to their guns on this one. I am sure they feel twisted with the horror of what happend in NYC and Washington and with our campaign of terror on the citizens of Afghanistan in our efforts to eradicate terrorism, which I do support.

I think it should be dropped but won't hold it against them if they play it, I am unwaveringly supportive of U2.

Personally, I think the song should be dropped.

Because they have played it too much - for NO other reason.

If they were to play it, I think they should up the ante. At least here in NEW YORK!!! I can tell you right now that there are many, many people here saddened by what happened because almost everyone knows someone who was lost here. Moreso, most New Yorkers are pissed off and are fully approving of what is going on in the war as most of us witnessed firsthand what happened here.

If they are to play the song, they should include footage of the war, and of U.S. (and BRITISH) bombs landing in the middle east.

This is something the band would never do as they are pacifists, but dammit, the vibe in Madison Square Garden is going to be intense. Bono will be preaching to a very battered and bitter crowd.

It is a tough call...

------------------
"...I'll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky, and the the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill..."

NYC RIP

Originally posted by ouizy:
Personally, I think the song should be dropped.

Because they have played it too much - for NO other reason.

If they were to play it, I think they should up the ante. At least here in NEW YORK!!! I can tell you right now that there are many, many people here saddened by what happened because almost everyone knows someone who was lost here. Moreso, most New Yorkers are pissed off and are fully approving of what is going on in the war as most of us witnessed firsthand what happened here.

If they are to play the song, they should include footage of the war, and of U.S. (and BRITISH) bombs landing in the middle east.

This is something the band would never do as they are pacifists, but dammit, the vibe in Madison Square Garden is going to be intense. Bono will be preaching to a very battered and bitter crowd.

It is a tough call...

I totally agree with you. I do understand U2's point and purpose to writing Bullet but this is NOT the same situation. The US was attacked and has every right to go after the people who did this terrorism and the people who made it possible for the terrorist to do it. U2 should be very careful coming to the US and overly preaching. I believe all of us want peace on earth and would love not to be in this situation but unfortunately by the actions of the EVIL terrorist we are. d 90 % of Americans are supportive of our government to defend this country and democracy around the globe even if it means "Bullet the Blue Sky" Peace and Love U2Byrd
wink.gif

Musically, I'd be glad for a break from Bullet - so I think it's time for a change. But only musically. Politically, if there was ever a time to play Bullet, this is it - as those fighter planes continue to rain on women and children (and U.N. workers, apparently). And please no one tell me that the U.S. has the right to kill those U.N. workers and Afghani citizens because a tiny minority of them are murderers - that just doesn't hold water.

Back
Top Bottom